Thread: 325is vs AE86 vs Cressida

Default 325is vs AE86 vs Cressida

So for comparisons sake I'll post up about this evenings events.

Myself and a few friends decided to take 575 NB to the Jasper area (about 40 minutes away) and do a mountain run there. The particular road we were on this evening is a nice mix of straights, slight, and tight bends... so it's a pretty fun little shootout. Each different section exposes the weaknesses of each car. So as we get going the Cressida is leading followed by the 325is and me bringing up the rear.

The first section was a downhill straight into a series of S turns followed by an uphill section into a few increasing radius and decreasing radius turns.

On the straight it was pathetic. The Cressida and 325is left me behind pretty fast, but as soon as we hit the first group of turns the 325 is on the Cressidas ass and I'm on the 325is's ass. After a few more corners the Cressida driver flags us by, his brakes are fading bad after just a few hard jabs to slow before corner entry.

So now it's me and the 325 going at it while the Cressida's headlights fading fast as we go into more corners. I've got to hand it to the 325, even with the Azenis on the Corolla I wasn't gaining as much ground as I thought I would in the corners . Apparently a little heat can make a huge difference...

My tires out back we're practically bald at the start so I was a little afraid to push the car really hard in corners, being that it was almost freezing outside cold tires have a tendency to cause the Corolla to spin fast. We stop at a little rest area, and wait for the Cressida to catch up while enjoying the view looking down over the side of the mountain and the city below. It's amazing how a 45 minute drive north car bring out the stars.

Anyway I did a litle mini burnout to try and see if that would help the tires a little and as we progressed down the mountain I was able to progressively gain more and more ground on the 325is in the corners. One section was a series of S turns with the turns getting slightly sharper as you navigated through them. At this point the 325is cannot shake me until straight sections. As the brakes heated up I was able to brake later and dive into the corners much harder than the BMW and the grand finale came when I was flagged to pass by the 325 driver on a straight (a good friend of mine). I get into the throttle and he's on my ass. The Corolla is slow as hell when it's going straight but as we began progressing through the corners the BMW is getting further and further behind gaining ground only on straights. We come to a hard downhill decreasing radius turn where I'm in second and as I ease on the throttle the car suddenly stops accelerating, bouncing off the rev limiter. I mutter an obscenity and jump into 3rd as the BMW once again is all over my ass and goes to pass on the straight up ahead.

All in all there was waaaaaay to much to put into a "kill story" but it was cool. The 325 was holding the corners quite well, and my car didn't really start to preform until the brakes and tires we're heated up. I can't wait until I get a fresh set of Azenis out back and new shocks and struts to go back up and play again. I filmed the majority of this, but the camera was set for day time mode so you can't really see much except the outline of my headlight and the road curing underneath. I'll be sure next time to film it in a low light mode for viewer pleasure.

Also: I saw a flat black EG (turbo B16, with WHIPLASH DVD on the rear window) pulled over on I-575 NB by three cop cars. I've seen him around Barrett a few times and am hoping he wasn't on his way to jail...

Good night. Maybe next time I can get some IAer's to go with us up there.

blank

nice! sounds like alot of fun

Nice... Wat kind of suspension do you have on your car?

Quote Originally Posted by Nopaintsls
    Nice... Wat kind of suspension do you have on your car?
    Nothing fancy, just replaced all the stock rubber bushings with urethane bushings and a set of lowering springs. Brakes are just Brembo blanks with Hawk pads.

yea I just called him & asked what happened. He said he got stopped for a burnt headlight. They searched his car & kinda stripped searched him type deal ..
    Quote Originally Posted by estis fatuus
    Also: I saw a flat black EG (turbo B16, with WHIPLASH DVD on the rear window) pulled over on I-575 NB by three cop cars. I've seen him around Barrett a few times and am hoping he wasn't on his way to jail...

Rx7 Drift / EF grip Kalifornia087's Avatar

you talking about the cressida at the drift expo? harrison needs some serious suspension goodies for that thing LoL... sounds like fun though, me and my friends always have a good time in the mountains.
    FC - Death by rotary forever
    CRX daily... Gas prices suck, i love my HF

luv that 5sd cressida, guess the need for better brakes on that car has

come. when i get the swaybars, rear disks, better pads and some real rubber

on my hatch, i really wanna go on some mountain runs. all will come in

time.

What year was the cressida? I'd like to hear more about it cus i used to have an 89.

Unknown

Default YO!!!

Hey me and a couple of friends do Mountain Runs in Jasper let us know when you come up....I live in Jasper by the way......

Quote Originally Posted by Kalifornia087
    you talking about the cressida at the drift expo? harrison needs some serious suspension goodies for that thing LoL... sounds like fun though, me and my friends always have a good time in the mountains.
    ya the blue one... It was fun but his brakes faded fast. I think he rigged up some lowering springs for a 240 on there...