Thread: Computer issues HELP!

Default Computer issues HELP!

So my laptop started giving me a SMART Failure warning on boot. I don't know much about computers all I know is google search says this is the HDD failing.
    1. Now my question is is this 100% true and not a chance its a BUG or malware .
    2. Next question is if I look for another hard drive what will i need to know ?

yeah, its the SMART system that detects read write faults though small, can start becoming a problem. I've seen them tank pretty quickly on some units, especially toshiba shit.

Replace with the same size hdd, 2.5" if laptop, 3.5" if desktop "tower"
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

Certified Gearhead

You can probably download software to check the hard drive, I used to use it a lot when I was a PC tech, was very good stuff. However, if your hard drive does fail it's no biggie, just go to Best Buy or wherever and buy another laptop hard drive with the same specs, or go bigger if you want. Google and see what the fastest speed you can get that your computer will recognize and go with that. They're really easy to change. You'll need a copy of the Windows that's on your laptop though so you can install it using your key. Sometimes you can create backup disks with the operating system on your computer so if you were to wipe the hard drive, or in your case replace it, you can install the same operating system that it came with brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
    You can probably download software to check the hard drive, I used to use it a lot when I was a PC tech, was very good stuff. However, if your hard drive does fail it's no biggie, just go to Best Buy or wherever and buy another laptop hard drive with the same specs, or go bigger if you want. Google and see what the fastest speed you can get that your computer will recognize and go with that. They're really easy to change. You'll need a copy of the Windows that's on your laptop though so you can install it using your key. Sometimes you can create backup disks with the operating system on your computer so if you were to wipe the hard drive, or in your case replace it, you can install the same operating system that it came with brand new.
    I dont have any info stored on my computer so do i still need to backup the data ? Also if i still have all my disk and hardware do i still need a back up copy ?
    I keep everything even the paper work when i buy electronics its a thing i do lol

if you have the windows disk, then all you need to do is swap out the HDD and put the disk in....use key on the sticker if it asks for one. A lot of OEM Manufacturer disks don't ask for keys if its running on their hardware.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance

Certified Gearhead

If you have the Windows CD that either came with your computer (which is rare these days), or a backup was made onto cds then that's all you need. Most computers now just partition part of the hard drive off and put the software on there so you can refresh the computer in case of a bad virus or something like that, but of course if you change out hard drives that's gone. Anyways, pop in the hard drive, install the software of the cds and then you're good to go.

And Spoolin is right, if it's a Dell for example, and you use a Dell Windows cd, the install program will notice it's a Dell BIOS and just bypass the cd key part.

Post the model number, we can verify if it is SATA or IDE

If it's SATA, you can get a cheap Solid state replacement for under 100 bux now a days. The computer will perform a lot faster and won't get as hot either. (boot up times/ etc)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
    Post the model number, we can verify if it is SATA or IDE

If it's SATA, you can get a cheap Solid state replacement for under 100 bux now a days. The computer will perform a lot faster and won't get as hot either. (boot up times/ etc)
    I know for fact its IDE/ATA

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    I know for fact its IDE/ATA
    Any of these will fix it:

20GB for 13 bux

30GB for 18 bux

80GB for 35 bux

If you're coming to We hungry and Yolo drift expo this Sunday in Bethlehem, GA - I can grab one for you as I'm going to Microcenter later today to grab some things.

Start the PC, hit F8 to start it in safe mode with command prompt. Once you are at the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r which will force it to run a check disk at next reboot and force it to run a repair (/r) and force fix (/f) ay issues it will come across. Once that finishes, you need to run a defrag on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
    Any of these will fix it:

20GB for 13 bux

30GB for 18 bux

80GB for 35 bux

If you're coming to We hungry and Yolo drift expo this Sunday in Bethlehem, GA - I can grab one for you as I'm going to Microcenter later today to grab some things.
    I have 160GB drive so id like to stick with that or maybe higher but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guinness View Post
    Start the PC, hit F8 to start it in safe mode with command prompt. Once you are at the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r which will force it to run a check disk at next reboot and force it to run a repair (/r) and force fix (/f) ay issues it will come across. Once that finishes, you need to run a defrag on it as well.
    My computer will freeze up when its almost 90% done and wont finish ive tried it 5x

Have you tried to flush the capacitors out by unplugging it from any power source and holding the power button down for 30 seconds and then trying it again?

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    My computer will freeze up when its almost 90% done and wont finish ive tried it 5x
    caress it a little. Gentle brush of the hand will usually cure that problem.