Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography advice needed

I am using Manual mode more daily now and its a bitch trying to use the highest Aperature and fastest shutter without losing to much light. I have learned as of yesterday it pretty much sucks to use ISO cause it distorts images easy. I am getting a Speedlite for fathers day and have made a homemade flash bounce Image of it below lol
    I hope the speedlite will help me more when using the current settings with this 50mm lens. I mainly take photos of my pets or my baby girl and all are very active so i have to keep my shutter at its highest.

Use a lower aperture. Just remember when you get lower than 1/30 on the shutter speed you'll start getting camera shake.

Try playing around in aperture or shutter priority mode for a while (Ax or Tx on Canon)

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Use a lower aperture. Just remember when you get lower than 1/30 on the shutter speed you'll start getting camera shake.

Try playing around in aperture or shutter priority mode for a while (Ax or Tx on Canon)
    To expand on what blank said:
    Use a larger (lower number aperture) when you do not have to have a deep depth of field - that will be plenty of shots. Example: If you go from f/8 down to f/4, you gain 2 stops of light, and that will allow you to drop the ISO 2 stops lower.
    Use a slower shutter speed when possible - for still objects, use the old saying that you should take your lens mm and use it as the shutter speed. Example: with a 50mm lens, go with 1/50 to start. You should be able to handhold using this as a guideline. If you have VR or IS on your lens, you can gain at least one stop slower of shutter speed, and probably 2 stops slower.
    VR and IS only works on still objects though - not on moving ones. On moving objects, I like to keep at least 1/125 shutter speed.

I am with blank - use aperture and shutter more than manual. The camera is a computer, and can do some of the calculation for you. Use that to your advantage.

On ISO - I like to shoot as low of an ISO as I can. The reason why is dynamic range and noise. The higher that you take the ISO, the less dynamic range that you have, and the more noise that you get. Some cameras do better than others though. My D600 is quite happy at ISO 3200, and still has good dynamic range and low noise, while the old D70 suffered at 1600.
    Your XSI looks to have just under 11 stops of dynamic range, and it falls off quickly over ISO800. That means that you have to look at the dynamic range of each shot closely and determine how much shadow and highlight information that you are willing to use when you turn up the ISO. Here is a chart that shows it for your camera:
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...Canon/EOS-450D
    Click on Measurements, and then on Dynamic Range.
    Last edited by David88vert; 05-31-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12