Thread: Need a new laptop

Default Need a new laptop

So I decided to take advantage of tax free. Looking at these 2, which one should I get? It will mainly be used for the web and as a backup to my PC. There will be some actual work tasks done on this thing though so I cant just go bottom barrel.

Toshiba - 14" Satellite Laptop - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Champagne Silver - P845-S4200

Asus - 15.6" Laptop - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Aluminum Lake Blue - U57A-BBL4

Im a pretty big Toshiba fan myself, but between those two i'd choose the Asus. I like the full 15.6" screen and the number pad. Im not a fan of the 14" screen form factor.

Also, the clock speed on the i5 in the Asus is quite a bit faster. Given they both have the same size battery the smaller Toshiba probably has a longer battery life though.

Quote Originally Posted by green91 View Post
    Im a pretty big Toshiba fan myself, but between those two i'd choose the Asus. I like the full 15.6" screen and the number pad. Im not a fan of the 14" screen form factor.

Also, the clock speed on the i5 in the Asus is quite a bit faster. Given they both have the same size battery the smaller Toshiba probably has a longer battery life though.

What do you know about keyboard issues on the Toshiba laptops?

I was thinking of the toshiba because it is more portable and my wife will occasionally use it on her lunch break. I'm like you, I like the larger screen on the Asus as we always take a laptop on vacation with us to watch movies and such.

Clock speed is an issue, but I'm not sure it is a deal breaker. There wont be anything too heavy being done with this. No gaming or video editing that uses up a lot of resources.

Do you know of any other laptops I should be looking at?

Certified Gearhead

If you want a reliable brand.. Go Toshiba ive had mine for years!
    It's not the speed that kill's its the sudden stop at the end.

I've never experienced a keyboard issue with Toshibas myself.

I'll admit the new Samsung line (series 9 especially) has really caught my attention. But i havent owned one so i cant speak to their reliability. Samsung products are usually top notch though.

Work is about to get me a new Dell Latitude so i'll report on it in a few weeks.

Another Toshiba in your price range (and similiar spec to the asus)
    Toshiba Satellite S855 S5252 Laptop Computer With 156 Screen And 2nd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor With Turbo Boost Technology 20 Blue by Office Depot

Going to run over and take a look at that other laptop. Its looking like the best of both laptops I was looking at at BB.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

which one did you end up getting? If you didn't pick any up, look into ultra books (pc version of the mac air). Not sure what your computer needs are but if you're looking for something easy/mobile, then ultrabooks are great for that. Mind you, they're not a gaming rig but spec-wise, are pretty decent for their size.

Asus > Toshiba in every way.

Picked one up last night. Ended up with a Samsung QX411.