Thread: Laptop help

Default Laptop help

I am looking for a laptop that is fast while somewhat affordable. Id like to stay between the 5-1000 area. I know that is a wide range as for as laptops is concerned. All I need is something that I can use for multimedia purposes (photoshop and video editing), tuning purposes, and maybe a game or 2 (WoW, CS, and things of that nature). I am looking at both the Samsung NP007Z5B and the HP DV7-6c95dx. What are some other good options, or what is the best between the 2 as far as reliability and durability?

Budget Max:1100
    Brands I prefer: Asus, HP, Samsung
    What I want: Speed, portability, and mid-low range gaming.
    Processor: Intel
    (919): so I was just driving high and I stopped to let a pinecone cross the road because I thought it was a hedgehog.

One thing that people overlook is battery life and weight... Dude for doing photoshop and video editting, you don't need the fastest thing out there. Honestly I'd go for a sandy bridge i5 (or i7 if there's one in ur price range, but I'd prefer a slim i5 with a nicer battery/build quality over an i7). I'd make sure it has 6 or 8gb of ram and whatever HDD you'd prefer. SSD = super light, super fast, super expensive and small.... 7200rpm = high storage/decent speed/noisy/lower battery life...
    I think the HD speed would be important to consider if you're doing serious video editting, but even then I'd say overall build quality and battery life are the two most important things if this is not going to be a dedicated video production machine IMO.

I have the older chipset i7 on 8gb, which is really fast, but not enough to justify a sub 2hr battery life in 2012. I would trade it in for a sandy bridge i5/8gb in a heartbeat. The new sandy bridge chips have awesome battery life among other improvements, and can come in some really tiny form factor machines. They're overkill for most people. Even me, I have numerous virtual machines and heavy apps running at any given time and the biggest pain point is the battery. The build quality of my Toshiba wasn't too great either, hopefully a firmware upgrade may fix that.

No BS, i really like the Acer TimelineX laptops, they're cheap, fast with ridiculous battery life. Asus is also great, but I haven't seen their newest line so I dunno.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-TimelineX...4035827&sr=1-4 <<- Click "refurbished" there's one in stock listed for $479, which may be an error, but if you're serious get it and make them honor it as per the item description.

What ever you look at look for more HDD Memory and has a Dual+ Processor like most do or should have thats NEW... This will allow multi-function and tasking and keeping from using up processor energy. I have a 180GB HDD and thats not the best but i do all my Photo shopping and Video editing easily. Also my Wife has a New 17" Gateway laptop with around 300HDD and full of awesome shit and when doing some things like video feedback and tasking my 2002 Gateway is better lol
    Also just my opinion but id stay away from the Samsung crap...Id stick with Gateway,HP or DELL maybe Asus depends on options for the $$

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    Also just my opinion but id stay away from the Samsung crap...Id stick with Gateway,HP or DELL maybe Asus depends on options for the $$
    whatttt I'd pick samsung before any of those three. (Even though Gateway is owned by Acer)

Some Dell notebooks are nice but not in their consumer line.

I'd say get a well-reviewed sandy bridge, or opt for an Ivy bridge chip if you can find one that you want in your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
    whatttt I'd pick samsung before any of those three. (Even though Gateway is owned by Acer)

Some Dell notebooks are nice but not in their consumer line.

I'd say get a well-reviewed sandy bridge, or opt for an Ivy bridge chip if you can find one that you want in your price range.
    Read an article just the other day that said from a public poll taken that Acer/Gateway was best in review. Then it talked about Samsung was ranked one of the lowest and was one of the most returned due to poor manufacturing.

I highly recommend Samsung, Toshiba (mid-high end pieces) and Asus. I do more repairs on HP/Compaq laptops than all other combined. I used to do a ton of Gateway repairs too. IMO hp/gateway are TRASH laptops.

The i5 is a very strong processor in it's own right, but if you want to play games step up to an i7 for discrete graphics. Just know that an i7 laptop is quite a battery hog.

I just picked up a Dell latitude E6520. You really need to figure what your needs and go after that product line you like. In general there are two types of laptops. Consumer and business line and then sub catagories of that.

Only reason i know Dell is because i researched them before buying one.
    If you can stick with consumer line of laptops Dell has some options like Inspiron, XPS, Alienware. For the business lineup i saw the Latitude.
    Does it matter - Business vs consumer line. If your looking for a more rugged long lasting laptop then the Latitude, Lenovo Thinkpad, HP Elite etc. If that doesn't matter then go consumer. I bought the latitude b/c it has metal hinges and built around more of rugged design like a metal frame etc.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346880,00.asp

Why business laptops matter - but if your careful with yours they don't matter lol.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/10-reasons...ness-notebooks

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ss_laptop.html

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/diffe...aptop-774.html

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2073252

The one i got was around $1700 configured on the dell webite new. I got mine for $810 shipped refurbished with a Dell 3 yr warranty. Negotiated on price and ebay gave me a 10% off coupon. I got it and it looks like new to me, lol. Very hard to tell the difference. Purchased from a top seller off ebay.

2011 Model lol
    it's a Dell Latitude E6520 Laptop PC
    Intel Core i7-2720QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30 GHz)
    6 Cell Primary Battery
    Dell 1501 Wireless-N
    Internal Backlit Keyboard - English
    90W AC Adapter
    15.6 in HD (1366x768) Anti-Glare LED-backlit Display
    Nvidia NVS 4200M 512MB DDR3 Discrete Graphics
    8X DVD +/- RW Drive
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64BIT w/Operating System
    128 GB Solid State Hard Drive, 2.5
    3 Years Warranty

Pretty decent deal if you ask since it has a SSD hard drive. Granted 128gb is not much space but i don't need that much. I like raw performance more. Very responsive like my core i7 desktop which has two SSD drives. If you want more raw video card power the XPS line has Nvidia cards with like 1gb to 2gb with what i saw. Also, mine is heavy but that doesn't matter it's still mobile and i'm not a weakling lol. And yes it sucks down battery like no tommorrow, but who cares there are battery options. GL

Just found this -
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...co/?tag=mwuser
    Last edited by civicturbo10; 04-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Honda - supplying products of the highest quality at a reasonable cost. Member of the high mileage club.

BODHI - "whats the lowest you will take" then dont even bother posting in this thread! i dont have the time wasting on fuckin dumbfucks who dont know how shit works -- which is me, selling a phone and expecting someone to buy it. At least have some balls to tell me that youre too cheap to buy or say - fuck shoot me a pm if youre too embarrassed

Quote Originally Posted by oreign View Post
    For a little more than half the price of this laptop you could get the Toshiba Qosimo X775-3DV80B. Same RAM specs, bigger screen, better graphics set up, 3-D, dual HD set up, just a little slower processor speed. To be honest, this is the best Windows-based gaming laptop out there right now in my opinion. The other downside is that it is a very large laptop, but one would have to expect that with all that a real gamer would want in a portable system.

but the eye candy of a razerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr

sad face

Nice looking, but not worth the money just to have a good looking laptop with sub-par performance levels as compared to the Toshiba Qosimo, lol.

lol i know. i wouldn't buy it unless i was filthy rich and didn't care.