Thread: Website Software

Default Website Software

Im wanting to revamp my website and want to know what website programs are good. Im intermediate when it comes to this stuff and am not needing shit involving flash, etc. I dont have hours on end to work on it to make it exactly how i want it so ill take the next best thing. Suggestions? Ive been using rapid weaver for mac but something just seems lacking in it, maybe the templates.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

Are you using a CMS or all HTML, CSS, PHP, jQuery? Is it for MSSRACING.com? If you're looking for a quick, easy revamp with LOTS of templates, you may want to give WordPress a go... it's easy to install on top of a LAMP stack and has a lots of customization options... You could install it as a subdirectory MSSRACING.com/newsubdirectory if you wanted... IDK, options are endless, as you know... CMS' are a fast, easy way to go when you're pressed for time.
    “When convention and science offer us no answers, might we not finally turn to the fantastic as plausibility?” Spooky

I dont know all the lingo...but i only know html personally....the site now uses Rapid weaver, so what ever it uses....i think ive seen some css and PHP shit in there.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance

and yes its for my site.

Yea, you may really want to try WordPress. You've got the domain registered with GoDaddy, but are they the ones hosting it as well, or is it offsite hosting? WordPress is a CMS, Content Management System, so, once you install it to the server, you can basically access everything on the front end using its content management system GUI...installing widgets, plugins, themes; all of which are customizable and very user friendly. Lots of bloggers use it, but I've set up some e-commerce sites with it, as well as band sites. It's very dynamic in what you can do. It will definitely revamp your current site; allowing you to tie in all of your other social outlets extremely easily: Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, Digg, etc.

Just as a quick reference, http://www.racing.ups.com/ and http://sundayafternoonclub.blogs.topgear.com/ are using WordPress as a CMS. It also makes it VERY easy to setup and configure Google Adsense if you so desire. If you want to check out other sites using WordPress, see http://wordpress.org/showcase/.

Check out http://wordpress.org/ for all of the themes, widgets, plugins etc and http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress to see how to install it. You'll pick it up easily as you've got advanced technical skills.
    Last edited by cpearson; 01-11-2011 at 10:03 PM.
    “When convention and science offer us no answers, might we not finally turn to the fantastic as plausibility?” Spooky

If you need any help setting it up, or more info, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or an email.

I downloaded it and MAMP and played last night, I use godaddy for my host, but last night was a lot to process with setting up mamp and installing wordpress...its a more advanced way of organization, i usually just build the html files with all the pics and shit in their folders and upload all of it and be done.

I have installed and used all of the open source CMS systems available, as well as having built several CMS systems from scratch. I like Wordpress for sites that want to mainly blog, but prefer Joomla for most low-cost commercial sites. YOu might want to look into that system as well. Drupal is also good, I just prefer Joomla for most low-cost sites. In this day and age, there is no reason not to use a CMS for most small businesses.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

I've installed and used Drupal and Joomla; never built a CMS from scratch. I'm forced to use Sharepoint Designer at work. I still prefer Wordpress; to each his own I suppose. It's all about what you're comfortable with. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but there is a lot of configuration options you can implement very quickly and easily once you have it setup and going. I'm glad you got your MAMP install done. Were you able to login to the CMS?