Thread: The War Begins - GM Upsets Dodge Challenger Media Event with Camaro Drive-By

Default The War Begins - GM Upsets Dodge Challenger Media Event with Camaro Drive-By

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

ROYAL OAK -- Woodward wasn't big enough Tuesday morning for two legendary Detroit muscle cars that will soon roar back into showrooms.

The Woodward Dream Cruise provided the backdrop for the first salvo in a much-anticipated showdown between the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger.

To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in front of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that inspired it.

Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969 classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.

Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.

He called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.

Chevy spokesman Terry Rhadigan denied a turf war. General Motors Corp. has been showcasing the Camaros for days on Woodward as part of the Dream Cruise and they were en route to two GM events Tuesday, he said.

"We'll definitely do battle with them in the showroom in a couple of years, but right now this was more or less an opportunity to display the iconic brand," he said.

Both Dodge and Chevrolet have promised to build production versions of vehicles in the next couple years.

The muscle car tussle caught the attention of Jalopnik.com, a popular auto Web site, which likened it to a Sharks-versus-Jets feud.

"Chevy made a point of letting the Chrysler folks know that they were stepping on the General's turf almost goading the Chrysler Group into a 'West Side Story'-like knife fight," the Web site said.

"It slowly passed in the right lane," Ray Wert, Detroit associate editor for Jalopnik.com, told The Detroit News. "It was quite possibly the greatest coincidence in the history of automobiles."

The modern-day muscle car battle reignited when Ford Motor Co. gave its 2005 Mustang a throwback design.

Dodge and Chevy entering the fray is a good for Detroit and the auto industry, Wert said.

"This is what the enthusiasts want," Wert said. "This gets their blood running. The baby boomers all want to push their pony car as being the best pony car among them all."

Vines agreed, but couldn't help taking one more swipe at his rival.

"It's healthy for Detroit and it's healthy for the industry," Vines said. "Despite the lameness of the GM stunt, it gets people talking."
    If You Aint Blowin You Aint Goin!!!

"So, Lone Star. Now you see that evil will always triumph...because good is dumb."

Public Enemy #1

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH Thats funny as shit!!!!!!!!! i cant wait for them both, i think there both going to be equally hot cars!

hahahahaha thats awesome

its about to go down. wow I like the look of the new Camaro
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

that was too wild! LOL

100% Asshole FTW!!! JustinSane110™'s Avatar

That is fuckin' dirty, LIRL!!!

Still take the challenger over the new camaro. New camaro looks like ass imo.

great, all this is doing is setting the stage for fast&furious 234523452345: redneck showdown

CHIEF LITTLEFINGERS! SixSquared's Avatar

fucking awesome. But seriously, I think Car and Driver magazine said it best....

"Retro, or out of new ideas?"

I'm beginning to wonder

Fuck stance. Stance is for kids in skinny jeans with Justin Beiber haircuts. You don't need stance when you got swagger.

Quote Originally Posted by ironchef
    Still take the challenger over the new camaro. New camaro looks like ass imo.
    Agreed. The Challenger actually looks like a well-designed homage to the original. I think the only thing I don't like is the taillights.

The Camaro, on the other hand, looks like the promotional vehicle for a new Battlestar Galactica series.

I would have liked to see an Enzo cut that trailer off casuing it to lock it' breaks up and throw the cars off of the trailer. thus, showing them both up.

OR....
    www.fairtax.org
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    True. But where's my sig?!! (lol)

More arms than Vaishno Ma HvyArms's Avatar
    Bangin from Belize to TelAviv in the Red Sea racing Saddam Hussein on Kawasaki jet skis

Is it just me, or does that new Camaro kinda look like a Bentley GT?
    ALICE SMITH - For Lovers, Dreamers & Me
    http://www.myspace.com/alicesmith
    [CENTER]BUY MY GIRL'S ALBUM !

im pulling for GM in this showdown

Quote Originally Posted by HvyArms
    Is it just me, or does that new Camaro kinda look like a Bentley GT?
    its just you

That new Camaro is the hotness... I was reading about it in AutoWeek like a month ago. Those bastards on gonna fly off the shelves because for the longest time Chevy said they were going to discontinue production of the Camaro and now that they are bringing it back all of the Camaro enthusiasts are gonna buy em up.

although the challenger is hot..im going w/ the camaro..ive always been down w/ the bowtie

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by Allshow97
    That new Camaro is the hotness... I was reading about it in AutoWeek like a month ago. Those bastards on gonna fly off the shelves because for the longest time Chevy said they were going to discontinue production of the Camaro and now that they are bringing it back all of the Camaro enthusiasts are gonna buy em up.
    very true. Back in 00' when i heard they were gonna discontinue the F bodies, i bet a friend of mine that they would come back out in 2008. My guess looks to be pretty good so far. The whole reason that chevy quit making the f bodies was because they were being destroyed by ford as far as sales are concerned. Now they have saved money for a few years and they are going to re-release them. I know for a fact they will sell like hot cakes

I would have rode up in the 'maro and did a huge burnout.

GM has a sense of humor. GM>Dodge