Thread: Altima overheated, oil is milky. Please help!

Default Altima overheated, oil is milky. Please help!

Driving back home last night and the top of my radiator cracked on my 2002 nissan altima. I stopped upon seeing the temp gauge at the top and had my car towed to my home. I replaced the radiator today and upon starting the car, the car wouldn't turn over. Found out 2 of my 4 ignition coils went out so I replaced the 2, along with my spark plugs and the car started and ran for a good 3 minutes and then stopped on it's on. There was a massive amount of white smoke coming out the tail pipe while it ran for those 3 minutes. I checked the oil and found it was milky like and upon looking online people are telling me that water mixed in with my oil when my car overheated.

Did I blow my headgasket? Can I simply drain the oil and replace the oil and try again? The car won't start anymore.

I'm stuck and would like anyone's suggestions! Thank you!

Certified Gearhead

Your hg is blown

Quote Originally Posted by Destineal View Post
    Your hg is blown
    Agreed. Replace your head gasket. Might wanna make sure that the head didn't warp, but its unlikely if you didn't run it for too long after it started overheating
    Ballin' on a Budget

X2^^

b20b is in!!!!
    b20b vtec coming real soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kpc2593 View Post
    Driving back home last night and the top of my radiator cracked on my 2002 nissan altima. I stopped upon seeing the temp gauge at the top and had my car towed to my home. I replaced the radiator today and upon starting the car, the car wouldn't turn over. Found out 2 of my 4 ignition coils went out so I replaced the 2, along with my spark plugs and the car started and ran for a good 3 minutes and then stopped on it's on. There was a massive amount of white smoke coming out the tail pipe while it ran for those 3 minutes. I checked the oil and found it was milky like and upon looking online people are telling me that water mixed in with my oil when my car overheated.

Did I blow my headgasket? Can I simply drain the oil and replace the oil and try again? The car won't start anymore.

I'm stuck and would like anyone's suggestions! Thank you!
    Unfortunately my friend no amount of oil changes is going to solve your issue. I went through this wonderful process with my mk3 supra back in the day. You need to pull the head and to be absolutely certain you should AT LEAST get the head checked for warping/cracks... because if either of those occurred then even if you replace the gasket you will be in BHG city all over again.

Sucks I know.

Your HG is 100% gone. Better take the head to a machine shop to have it decked and pressure checked for cracks in the combustion chambers and coolant passages also to be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    And I do drive a Miata, so I am gayer than a three dollar bill...