Thread: removing struts off 5 series

Default removing struts off 5 series

Alright so my friends girlfriend wants to lower her 84 5 series, and were not 100% on how to take the struts off. So if anyone knows how to remove them could you please tell me how to. Thank you very much.

Barefoot Motorsports

y get all dirty then break something. id just let a pro do it. cough cough

Banned

Default Hello, few questions

I will add - if you need any support implementing what ever data structure you choose in C, then just give me a shout. Many people learn datastructures on an OO language, and can find it difficult to make the transition into an imperative language.

IA Member

1984 5 series, an E28. Correct?

As usual with any suspension work, get the tires off and put her in the air, make sure that the car is secure. To remove the front struts, you’ll have to take off the caliper, brake disk, ABS sensor, sway bar, bottom strut assembly, and strut mount. Begin by removing the caliper, then the brake disk. Then remove the ABS sensor by loosening the fastening bolt (I believe it is a 5mm allen ) and then popping it out with a flat head screw driver, it will be pretty hard to remove but it’ll come out. By removing the ABS sensor, you have now disabled the ABS, and the sensors are designed so that when they are removed, they break; therefore, you’ll have to order new ABS sensors if you want your ABS brake system to work. Now that you’ve got the caliper and disk out of the way, unbolt the sway bar, secure the spring with a spring compressor, and unbolt the 3 bolts for the strut mount at the top of the strut. Once all of that is done, there are 3 17mm bolts that hold the bottom strut assembly on, unbolt those and finally, remove your strut assembly. Now, you can unbolt the strut bearing from the chassis, there are three bolts, it a bit tight up there in the shock tower but is very do-able. Now that all of that is done, you should be able to pull the whole strut assembly out (strut bearing, spring, shock, strut housing, bearing, and dust guard).

I will add - if you need any support implementing the data structure I have set forth, then just give me a a shout. Many people learn similar data structures on an NO-PICS language, and can find it difficult to make the transition into real world applications.

Oh, cool. I just noticed that this thread is from last year. Oh well. Knowledge is power.