Thread: '04 6 speed TSX Transmission: In Slighlt Need of Rebuild

Default '04 6 speed TSX Transmission: In Slighlt Need of Rebuild

3rd Gear Grinds

Reverse is a pain (Grinds when selected and and it tough to get it out when unselected)

Suggestions?

Will GM synchromesh fix this or make it more manageable? I've heard claims of it.

Thoughts?

Leisa and S. 4 Life NM?

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

If it's the same as the accord 6 speed... those transmissions are notorious for 3rd gear grinding. Some are under recall, some are not, but still have the problem.
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx

It gets frustrating at times.

p.s

Wish they were as common as 95 civic transmissions. I'd pick one up for $150 =D

Leisa and S. 4 Life NM?

The K series do not have a lot of room for fluid, so if you use too thick of fluid you may be doing damage,may have done damage to it. Either way with the trans out of the car is only a few hundred for parts/labor

The EMPIRE

It depends on how bad the grinding is. If you messed up the syncro teeth on the gear then you will need to replace that along with the syncro ring.

Custom Tuning By Daniel Willie.
    Parts, Fabrication, Race Car Prep
    770-319-9605 or [email protected]

hang a left, make a right and you're there

i thought these things were bullet proof, you can get 5 speed for like 300 or so

Quote Originally Posted by EmminoDaGreat View Post
    The K series do not have a lot of room for fluid, so if you use too thick of fluid you may be doing damage,may have done damage to it. Either way with the trans out of the car is only a few hundred for parts/labor
    I added 1 quart of GM, too far along to really make any difference although I've heard account of it eliminating grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Batlground View Post
    It depends on how bad the grinding is. If you messed up the syncro teeth on the gear then you will need to replace that along with the syncro ring.
    True

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Tirador View Post
    i thought these things were bullet proof, you can get 5 speed for like 300 or so
    Certainly not, Bulletproof is like a figure of speech, people should really say bullet resistant. Even 2js get blown up =) just like some bulletproof jackets get penetrated!

Leisa and S. 4 Life NM?

k trans is hardly bullet proof, just like a stock b trans really.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

NO CAR PART IS BULLET PROOF!!!!! SLEEVES,AWESOME,LSD,AXLES,ETC............. THEY CAN ALL BE KILLED OR DAMAGED. LOL

:Side note, i work at Acrua in parts. Theres no Service Bullertin for your cars Transmission, However there is one for RSX Type S(notorious 3rd gear grind) Pending on if your still in warranty, and it only replaces the third gear not the transmission
    But there is a Power Steering recall for your car. (Service Bulletin 10-010)

You heard none of this from me as this info is not not suppose to be let out.

I run Syncromesh in my transmission on the K20, but if it is grinding as badly as you say, it sounds like it's time for a rebuild. They aren't that bad if your a mechanically inclined and have access to the right tools.
    Who knows?

Wonder if an '09 6MT will interchange?

We'll see....

Leisa and S. 4 Life NM?

NO the 04-08 are the same (P#20011-RAS-U51) The 09-10 are differnent and wont interchange.(P#20011-RM5-B30) But a rebuild would be cheaper then a new transmission, take it to the dealer and see if its under warranty.