Thread: Got Fired Today.... Can Anyone Help?

Default Got Fired Today.... Can Anyone Help?

about 3 weeks ago i was helping a friend move a motor at a shop...(not my workplace) my dumbass didnt pick it up the right way and ended up getting a hernia... Well i go to the doctor and he tells me im gonna have to have surgery.. blah blah blah, so a week later i go into surgery get it fixed and im out of work for 2 weeks... have the note that ive been disabled and im released from the doctor... told my work place that i would be out of work and everything, and they were fine with that... got up and went to work this morning... first thing call me in the office and let me go... WTF? So is there anything i can do about this? I need help asap... got bills due...
    Vtec Keep Left, Slow Traffic Keep Right....

Thats bullshit man, I'm sorry to hear that. I would contact the Dept of Labor, and find out if they are or aren't breaking any laws by doing that. I know they can't fire you if your on disability, but as far as I know they can do it once you return to work (but that is BS). Actually I wouldn't even want to work there anymore after that. They obviously could careless about their employees.

yeah i dont wanna work there anymore after this, but i wanted to find out if that was against the law and what i needed to do about my health insurance...

Did they fire you or lay you off?

the exact words were..... let me go...

IA KING

what compnay if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by ZWK
    the exact words were..... let me go...
    Well although this is not much of a consolation, you should be eligible for unemployment.

DC5-R

Quote Originally Posted by civic95
    Well although this is not much of a consolation, you should be eligible for unemployment.
    yes due to injury you should get unemployment, what about workman compensation?

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

If he didn't hurt himself on his own job, then the state or his employer owes him nothing. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krucial7integra
    what about workman compensation?
    Nope, You didnt get hurt on the job.
    Brett (One of the true OG's, No really... ask anyone)
    '15 Chevy SS
    '16 K7 SXL SWP

www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

R.I.P Leisa, You are never forgotten - 10/7/08

you could still collect I would think. I mean its nothing the employer caused true, but the grounds on which you were let go have nothing negative to do (i.e theft, violence etc..)

As long as that is the case you should be ok?

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

I believe GA has a "fire at will" type policy, though. They can fire him for not having his laces tied. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

they could claim he got fired cuz of downsizing. my friend got fired for that and the company already had an ad in the paper to replace her. she was replaced the next day.

Drifter/Kneedragger

he can collect unemployment, just not workman's comp.

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    what compnay if you don't mind me asking?
    nissan in rome ga

Better than you

In terms of health insurance and stuff, you should be able to file for Cobra if your company offers that option. At least for the time being while you look for another job or whatever, you'll have some sort of insurance. Look into it.
    Just some punk trying to get by...

"I'm not worried about AIDS. I don't fuck guys"- Jason

"Mikey is a Jewish-American princess"

Hump Her Crew Member

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

A lot of good advice here.

You can't file for workman's comp because you weren't hurt on the job and there is an easy way of them knowing that.

You can probably file for unemployment, although the employer can fight you for it. Most of the time they don't, but I've seen it happen where they do and WIN even after firing you.

Depending on how long you had insurance with them, you should be eligible for Cobra for X amt of time or when you get new insurance (which ever comes first). You will still have to pay for it, but it's insurance nonetheless.

The first place I'd go to is across the street at the competition. It will be easier for you to pick up and go at the competitor's place than it is to totally switch carreer paths. Besides, if you completely switch carreers they are more likely to scrutinize your resume, i.e. you'll run into reference issues possibly. I wouldn't necessarily volunteer how all this went down to a new prospective employer, but if asked you should be honest to avoid problems.

Good luck.

so your saying that the employer usually wins? ive never been written up, absent or gotten into trouble... how do you file for cobra/

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

so your saying that the employer usually wins? ive never been written up, absent or gotten into trouble... how do you file for cobra/
    No, I'm not saying that at all. But I am saying that sometimes unemployment isn't automatic either. In your case it may be (and IMO it should be) but I'm just warning you that I've seen some strange things happen before. Just be sure and have all your ducks in a row and documentation ready just in case.

You should receive your Cobra eligibility package from your employer soon. If not, I'd call HR and ask them about it.

ok thanks man

about 3 weeks ago i was helping a friend move a motor at a shop...(not my workplace) my dumbass didnt pick it up the right way and ended up getting a hernia... Well i go to the doctor and he tells me im gonna have to have surgery.. blah blah blah, so a week later i go into surgery get it fixed and im out of work for 2 weeks... have the note that ive been disabled and im released from the doctor... told my work place that i would be out of work and everything, and they were fine with that... got up and went to work this morning... first thing call me in the office and let me go... WTF? So is there anything i can do about this? I need help asap... got bills due...
    similar thing happened to my mom....... She now has been outta work for about 6 years and doesnt plan on going back. She has a 600,000$ house in the alabama mountains near birmingham now.... LOL they tried to fire her when she got hurt on the job. She gets a settlement check every couple weeks
    need CA$H? I WILL BUY YOUR STUFF OF VALUE.... PM ME WHATCHA GOT!