Thread: Cycling?

Default Cycling?

Any other road cyclers on the board? I am just now getting back into cycling and trying to introduce my husband to the sport. Just curious if anyone knew of any reputable bike shops in the Athens/Winder area?
    Everyone dies, not everyone lives...

"Easy" is an adjective used to describe a woman who has the sexual morals of a man.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Sunshine Cycles, they're the best, I know the owner and my dad works part time there, they know their stuff! They have a shop downtown (Athens) and in Watkinsville.

I use to ride a lot and plan on it again when the weather warms up a bit.

For a good used bike, go to Ben's Bikes on 670 Broad Street (the entrance is on Pope). They pick up used bikes in the area and refurbish them and sell them later. I got my bike there and they were very very very helpful and with purchase of a bike, you also get one free tuneup.
    http://www.bensbikesathens.com/

There is also a bike shop in 5 points but the name escapes me right now. I went in there once and it looks like they have their stuff together.

Athens has a lot of bikers, but a ton of them are the hipsters with single gear conversions and a basket to put their manpurse in.
    UGA: Everybody is laughing at us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    Sunshine Cycles, they're the best, I know the owner and my dad works part time there, they know their stuff! They have a shop downtown (Athens) and in Watkinsville.

I use to ride a lot and plan on it again when the weather warms up a bit.
    Thanks, Simon! I completely forgot about Sunshine. I know exactly where they are. I used to walk by there everyday.

"Easy" is an adjective used to describe a woman who has the sexual morals of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by nreggie454 View Post
    For a good used bike, go to Ben's Bikes on 670 Broad Street (the entrance is on Pope). They pick up used bikes in the area and refurbish them and sell them later. I got my bike there and they were very very very helpful and with purchase of a bike, you also get one free tuneup.
    http://www.bensbikesathens.com/

There is also a bike shop in 5 points but the name escapes me right now. I went in there once and it looks like they have their stuff together.

Athens has a lot of bikers, but a ton of them are the hipsters with single gear conversions and a basket to put their manpurse in.
    Thanks! I will definitely check into Ben's. We would like to purchase at least one good used bike, I think. My husband has never cycled before, and I don't want to invest a whole lot of money if he isn't going to stick with it.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Princess12 View Post
    Thanks, Simon! I completely forgot about Sunshine. I know exactly where they are. I used to walk by there everyday.
    No problem, by the way if you all want a used bike or something my dad may have a few for sale depending on what you're looking for.

No problem, by the way if you all want a used bike or something my dad may have a few for sale depending on what you're looking for.
    I actually would like to purchase used bikes because I don't really want to drop a lot of money into something my husband may not stick with. I have looked at several used bikes, but I'm so weary of whether they have been well-maintained/tuned/etc., that I hesitate in buying them.

I've been looking at entry-level bikes (Trek 1 series, Raleigh Grand Sports, Novaras, etc.) with good frames and semi-decent components (Sora/Tiagra). Let me know what he has that he may want to get rid of! Thanks!

I ride both road and mountain. I didn't know you rode Erin. Hit me up if you ever want to ride. I try to ride the road to get stronger but mountain is so much more fun.
    One Big Ass Mistake America

Any other road cyclers on the board? I am just now getting back into cycling and trying to introduce my husband to the sport. Just curious if anyone knew of any reputable bike shops in the Athens/Winder area?
    road cyclist here! unfortunately I'm not familiar with shops in that area at all

he wouldn't by any chance have any track bikes would he?

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWR/T View Post
    I ride both road and mountain. I didn't know you rode Erin. Hit me up if you ever want to ride. I try to ride the road to get stronger but mountain is so much more fun.
    Yeah, Brian! I didn't know you cycled either! I haven't rode in a couple years, but lately I have really wanted to get back into it. Rick has never ridden before, and I think it would be a fun thing for us to do together if I can get him to stick with it. We are getting a trailer for our daughter so she can ride along with us locally. I will definitely let you know once we get everything together, and we'll go ride one weekend or something!

BAM-BAM is the IA cycle King - I'm sure he can help you out.
    "I'm not a gynecologist... but I'll take a look."

Quote Originally Posted by BABY J View Post
    BAM-BAM is the IA cycle King - I'm sure he can help you out.
    Thanks! I will shoot him a PM!

i just head of this "Silver Comet Trail" looks like its a nice place to ride. has anyone been on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Machado View Post
    i just head of this "Silver Comet Trail" looks like its a nice place to ride. has anyone been on it?
    I've ridden a good bit of it and the Chief Ladiga trail that it connects to at the GA/AL border. It's not a bad place to ride. No worrying about traffic, very flat. It just gets boring over longer distances.

i live in athens and deal with the hub bikes they are great guy and there are all kinds of rides starting in the summer. they actually used to be the team i rode for till i got hit
    I HAVE 11 DIGITS

Quote Originally Posted by mikethumbs92 View Post
    i live in athens and deal with the hub bikes they are great guy and there are all kinds of rides starting in the summer. they actually used to be the team i rode for till i got hit
    Thanks! I will check in with them as well! Sorry to hear that you got hit... that is awful!

yea it was a hit and run. i gotta start ridin again to get in shape. what kind of bike do you have
    I HAVE 11 DIGITS

Quote Originally Posted by allout13 View Post
    I've ridden a good bit of it and the Chief Ladiga trail that it connects to at the GA/AL border. It's not a bad place to ride. No worrying about traffic, very flat. It just gets boring over longer distances.
    Cool, i will have to check it out.

yea it was a hit and run. i gotta start ridin again to get in shape. what kind of bike do you have
    I'm sorry to hear that!

Well... right now, I am without a bike. I quit riding several years ago due to overall lack of time, and I'm just now trying to get back into it. I'm looking for a decent used bike at this point, but I'm having a hard time finding one. We have found a decent starter bike for my husband, but women's bikes or smaller men's frames seem to be in short supply. I'm sure my budget isn't helping either lol!

well the hub has trek bikes starting at like 700 or 800 new. not to bad of a price. if you and you husband wanna know someplaces to ride get in touch with me on here and ill show some places
    I HAVE 11 DIGITS

well the hub has trek bikes starting at like 700 or 800 new. not to bad of a price. if you and you husband wanna know someplaces to ride get in touch with me on here and ill show some places
    Thanks! I appreciate that! I have looked at the Trek 1 Series several times, and it is definitely a contender.

Thanks! I appreciate that! I have looked at the Trek 1 Series several times, and it is definitely a contender.
    yea treks are good bikes. i got the next step down and have a lemond
    I HAVE 11 DIGITS

Do they still make LeMond bikes? I thought I read something a while back about Trek and LeMond going their separate ways.

Do they still make LeMond bikes? I thought I read something a while back about Trek and LeMond going their separate ways.
    no lemond is no more. but all lemond was is a trek with lemond stickers. u live in athens?
    I HAVE 11 DIGITS

no lemond is no more. but all lemond was is a trek with lemond stickers. u live in athens?
    That's what I thought... My memory isn't so bad after all!

We live in the Bethlehem/Winder area.... not too far from Athens.

Step down?
    I LOVE my Lemond!

Since 2008 I believe

I was always under the impression that despite Trek built the bikes, Lemond had their own distinct frame geometry.

yea they did but it was made by trek. and when i say step down im always comparing to the trek madone
    I HAVE 11 DIGITS

if you wanna come to athens and check out either of the shops then it would be awesome. always good to see new faces
    I HAVE 11 DIGITS

IA Member

bmx!
    I like my cars how I like my women.

JDM.