Thread: The $250,000 Camaro

Hybrid View

Hand Built Self Made batlbrandon's Avatar

Default The $250,000 Camaro

Excuse me if this is a repost. Just thought it was funny. And it brings up the question: How much would you pay to have your favorite car back (if not currently driving it)?.

Papa John's founder pays $250K for beloved Camaro
    AP

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090825/ca...VM6MLpUdcUsg--

In this August 24, 2009 handout photo released by Papa John's Pizza, John AP – In this August 24, 2009 handout photo released by Papa John's Pizza, John Schnatter, the founder of Papa …
    Tue Aug 25, 8:21 pm ET

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – With the help of a $250,000 reward, the founder of the Papa John's pizza chain has finally reunited with the muscle car he sold years ago to help keep his family's business afloat.

John Schnatter sold the gold-and-black 1971 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 for $2,800 in 1983. The money helped save his father's tavern in Jeffersonville, Ind., and he used the rest to start what would become a worldwide pizza business.

But he still missed his beloved Camaro and spent years searching for it. He created a Web site on the search, held promotional appearances and eventually offered $250,000 to whoever found it.

It turns out he didn't have to leave Kentucky, where the pizza chain is based in Louisville. The car only changed hands twice from the original buyers, ending up with Jeffery Robinson in Flatwoods, about 165 miles to the east.

"When I first saw it I still wanted to look it over to make sure it was the car even though I knew it," Schnatter told The Associated Press. "That kind of hit me emotionally. I was kind of numb."

The original buyers of Schnatter's car heard about the search when he appeared in a TV interview before an NFL game this month. An online search led them to the car blog Jalopnik, which has followed the search and tipped off Papa John's.

Robinson, who bought the car about five years ago for $4,000, recently delivered the Camaro to Schnatter, earning the $250,000 reward. The original buyers will get $25,000 for their help tracking it down.

Schnatter says it looks very much the same as it did when he sold it in 1983, but with a larger motor and fatter tires for drag racing.

The car will be displayed at the company headquarters in Louisville, replacing a replica Schnatter commissioned while he searched for his original car.

In honor of the reunion, Papa John's planned to offer all Camaro owners a free pizza at stores on Wednesday.

crazy money for that car.....BUT....badass that he actually found it and it is in damn good condition from what I can see

I actually read about this last week maybe. I wondered if the guy that owned the car sold it to Papa John for that much because of who he is. Do you think he would have done that if it was just some regular guy that didn't have lots of money?
    ~Val for President~
    ~RIP Leisa - You will be missed~

The Chinese Chicken! secondgencamaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Dollar
    I actually read about this last week maybe. I wondered if the guy that owned the car sold it to Papa John for that much because of who he is. Do you think he would have done that if it was just some regular guy that didn't have lots of money?
    He set the price as the reward. I'm glad he got it back.

Quote Originally Posted by secondgencamaro
    He set the price as the reward. I'm glad he got it back.
    Oh ok I gotcha. I must have missed that part when I read through the article. Thanks
    ~Val for President~
    ~RIP Leisa - You will be missed~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Dollar
    READING FAILS YOU. As already stated, it was a reward money.

If I was in his position, I would have dont the same thing.

I posted up the same info a few days back. It was in the thread Evan made about getting free pizza. lol

Bozzio for president.

My father had the same experience. He wanted his original 1970 Grabber BLue Boss 302 Mustang that he bought brand new, so he logged onto the boss registry and he was making posts here and there. Talking about his old car, and the unmistakable modifications he had to make (ie a hole in the passenger side door for the window, cus the window was all jacked up) BOOM...some guy came forward and said he thinks he has my dad's original Boss 302. He's restoring it and going to sell it when he is done..dad is interested in it. lol. But not for $250,000 for a used tubbed out, fugly ass Camaro...

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyF
    My father had the same experience. He wanted his original 1970 Grabber BLue Boss 302 Mustang that he bought brand new, so he logged onto the boss registry and he was making posts here and there. Talking about his old car, and the unmistakable modifications he had to make (ie a hole in the passenger side door for the window, cus the window was all jacked up) BOOM...some guy came forward and said he thinks he has my dad's original Boss 302. He's restoring it and going to sell it when he is done..dad is interested in it. lol. But not for $250,000 for a used tubbed out, fugly ass Camaro...

-Ant.
    I don't think there's anything fugly about gen 2 camaros.

IA.COM Founder.

If I had the money that Papa John guy has.. Sure..

I mean, that didnt even flinched his bank accounts..

Thats like some of us spending $25 and not worrying about the $25 bucks.

That's not a $250,000 Camaro

THIS is a $250,000 Camaro
    http://rcrseries3.com/site/

....and my top let back umairejaz's Avatar

I believe he only paid ~$25k for the actual car, right? The couple who owned it were very eager to get him his car back, they wanted for it to go back to its rightful owner.... I believe.

Learning everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by umairejaz
    I believe he only paid ~$25k for the actual car, right? The couple who owned it were very eager to get him his car back, they wanted for it to go back to its rightful owner.... I believe.
    it says that the new owners got the whole 250k, the person that bought it from him in the first place got a 25k finders fee...
    Toxxxic's job interview
    toxxxic (3:23:28 PM): "Describe yourself in three words" ..... down to fVck"

New Project coming soon!

This explains why the gold Camaro was in Papa John's newest commercial.

MOST HATED

I would have held out for more...

lucky sonsabishes...

Hand Built Self Made batlbrandon's Avatar

well in that case it was actually a $275,000 camaro!

What a bitch..

I would just buy me a new GT2 and I can promise you that POS would be long forgotten..

He has the money and the car obviously had sentimental value. Like someone else said, John spending 250k would be like most people here dropping 25. His accountant probably didnt even notice the money missing.