Thread: ok modem and router question

polar bears toenails

Default ok modem and router question

I play Socom confrontation and sometimes my shit is a little slow...well I heard that you can open up your ports to make your connection faster...is this true? I don't know if it is stealing or not that why I am asking...but someone told me to open up all the ports on my modem or router

Advan Kid

Yes it can but the game has to be set to that port. Personally I would plug direct into the router b/c the ps3 has gigabit connection
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrunkScotsman
    GTR and TDS are buds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova
    I think IA is racist against white folk. Look @ the line-up...
    Julio - Dominician, BobbyFresh - Afro-Americian,Brett - Old,Scotsman - Scottish,AnthonyF - Itallian,GKtib - yellow,Quickdodge - gangsta ninja,Ren - Vag-tastic,911SC - Ghey
    Not one whitey among them!!!!!!

I have all my ports for the game open and its still no faster. Socom's server just sucks.
    -Zach-
    2010 Toyota Tundra- Daily on 37's
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 -FOR SALE
    1987 Toyota Pickup - Toy

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    it was big, made mine look small, probably didn't use all of it

You can always try. Find your router's manual, there should be a section on port forwarding. You just need to know which ports to forward to your PS3.

IA KING

Dont open up all your ports if this router is connected to another computer for internet access also. This is a hackers delight. Thats what is always said. I mean why would a hacker want to hack someones house network? They would rather hit up a business or something worth hacking. But you can specifically open up a port and make sure your PS3 is pointing to that port, but it wont speed up anything.

something you should consider is blocking off other traffic on your router if you have some... for instance: wifi connections, wired connections, gaming consoles (ps3, xbox), etc

branching off your connections block any other interference... see image \/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -home-network-jpg  
    Paul "your bullshit makes the flowers grow"

The easiest way is to put your primary computer in the DMZ, but if your router supports upnp its already likely opened the ports for itself.

polar bears toenails

I have a main providers router connected to a linksys wireless router and my ps3 is hard wired to the wireless router and we run our laptops off of the linksys wireless router.

Quote Originally Posted by THE KREEP
    I have a main providers router connected to a linksys wireless router and my ps3 is hard wired to the wireless router and we run our laptops off of the linksys wireless router.
    so you have A) ISP router/modem and B) linksys router?

in that case plug the computer you are using for gaming hardwired into the ISP router and run ps3 + other wireless off the linksys.

you are not trying to play over wireless connection are you?

Elite Window Tinting DynamicSound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THE KREEP
    I play Socom confrontation and sometimes my shit is a little slow...well I heard that you can open up your ports to make your connection faster...is this true? I don't know if it is stealing or not that why I am asking...but someone told me to open up all the ports on my modem or router
    Like they said on the other posts, you will want the PS3 wired direct to your modem for the fastest connection. The any laptops or wireless devices can run from the wireless router.

Opening the ports is a no-no.

Also could depend on your cable/dsl service. If you have cable internet, your speed is determined on how many people around you are using it. You may be paying for a 12/6/3 Mb/s connection but getting a lot less at times. With DSL you are getting a constant or more dedicated speed. Another thought is to bump up the internet speed that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamicSound
    Like they said on the other posts, you will want the PS3 wired direct to your modem for the fastest connection. The any laptops or wireless devices can run from the wireless router.

Opening the ports is a no-no.

Also could depend on your cable/dsl service. If you have cable internet, your speed is determined on how many people around you are using it. You may be paying for a 12/6/3 Mb/s connection but getting a lot less at times. With DSL you are getting a constant or more dedicated speed. Another thought is to bump up the internet speed that you have.
    this isn't all true, all wireless devices need to be segregated and some ports should be forwarded to static IP's.