Thread: Classic Mustang engine swap

Never go full retard

Default Classic Mustang engine swap

So, I've pretty much decided that somewhere down the road I'm going to be purchasing a 67-68 fastback and turn it into a daily driver. Now this is going to be sometime away (after I get out of Tech and start actually getting a salary), but I've been kind of bored lately and have wanted to do some reading on it. I used to own a 68 fastback GT (and miss it a lot), so I know a lot about the car in general, but I'm thinking that I'd want to swap a 90s 5.0 fuel injected engine into it (or possibly some other fuel injected mustang engine) just for reliability and driveability's sake.

So yeah, any of you mustang guys know a good website or a forum where I might be able to read up on the subject? I know people have done this swap.

Thanks!

IA's Instigator

I have a 66 forsale, 289 all original

mustangforums.com
    svtperformance.com

i am in the process of doing it in my 67 mustang. i still need a doner car tho. but if you could get the whole engine dropout with the trans and skip a doner car! might as well up grade to overdrive trans while you at it! the 5.0 will bolt it but you will need a aftermarket crossmember for the trans. here are a few links i found.

here is the cheepest harness i found. only 3 wires to run!
    http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=3

the fuel related kit
    http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/key...+kit&x=19&y=13
    you will need a few more small things like the cross member, spedo cable, and the make a linkage rod to mount the trans linkage to your original one.

good luck! if you need any help let me know!
    Hella stock member!

Senior Member | IA Veteran  OneSlow5pt0's Avatar

hope u get it done,will be nice car...........LS1 mustang =]
    j/k the 302 is my fav ford engine

I have used the mustangs unlimited kit on 2 older cars I have built. Its pretty straight forward and save alot of time compared to the first time I did it and hacked a 5.0 donor cars harness.

Here is one of the better efi sites as far as how-to goes, it has some decent links on it also.

As for mustang forums and svt stay out of them too many douche bags that dont know ****. If you want a good mustang site as far as vintage stangs go try mustangsandmore.com and hardcore50.com has alot of good people on it.

Never go full retard

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad
    hope u get it done,will be nice car...........LS1 mustang =]
    j/k the 302 is my fav ford engine
    Blasphemy!!!

Haha, yeah my old stang had a 302 in it. Of course it was a 1968 4-barrel 302 and none of this fancy fuel injected stuff. But I definitely feel some sort of sentimentality to the 302.