Thread: Accord Axle Problems

Default Accord Axle Problems

I have a 91 accord with 18" wheels and 215/35/18 tires and i have lowered it with neuspeed race springs. I have new KYB AGX shocks and struts and a camber kit all around. I took my car for an oil change and they said my right and left front axle's were broke and it was caused by the lowering and that it threw off the correct angle of the drivetrain. Does anyone else have this problem or know anything about it. I had the axles for about 3500 miles. Thanks

IA Member

you might wanna check if your axles have lifetime warrantys. If not, it is cheap to get em rebuilt.

rebuild the axels...but i haven't ever come across that before from lowering a car

Certified Gearhead

since yall are talking about lowering can anybody make any suggestions about my 97 accord I need some shocks, springs and camber kit but I cant decide what to get just some heads up thanks

I have a 91 with Neuspeed race springs and KYB AGX shocks. I have some Dropzone coilovers for sale if your interested for $60, and you can adjust the ride height which is nice.
    1991 Black Accord Coupe
    Neuspeed Race Lowering Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Progress Technology Camber Kit
    17" Motegi DP6 with Bridgestone Potenzas
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sthrnba711

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnba711
    I have a 91 with Neuspeed race springs and KYB AGX shocks. I have some Dropzone coilovers for sale if your interested for $60, and you can adjust the ride height which is nice.
    Thanks for the offer but I would rather go for the springs

Actual CV is probably what is wearing out. If it isnt worn out, the boot probably broke. Get under the car and see what is visually wronge and report back. But yes, lowering a car can cause premature CV joint failure. A whole new axel is about 90 bucks from the parts store with a warranty, and install is about 30 min. DONT get those garbage boot replacement kits (personal prefrence)!! good luck.
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

I fixed the problem. I got 17's instead of my 18's. The lowering plus the size of the wheels put the axle at too much of an angle and it was chewing up joints and boots.
    1991 Black Accord Coupe
    Neuspeed Race Lowering Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Progress Technology Camber Kit
    17" Motegi DP6 with Bridgestone Potenzas
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sthrnba711

OLDSCHOOLRULEZ

c.v. axles are designed to run at an angle. when you lower a vehicle you (generally) lessen or delete that angle entirely. that is where the problems start.
    IF IGNORANCE IS BLISS, THERE ARE MANY HAPPY PEOPLE OUT THERE

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnba711
    I fixed the problem. I got 17's instead of my 18's. The lowering plus the size of the wheels put the axle at too much of an angle and it was chewing up joints and boots.
    the size of the wheels have nothing to do with the ride height or angle of the axle...it's the tires. Always get a tire, no matter the wheel size, that has the closest outside diameter as the OEM tire and you won't have any problems.

Example: 205/40-17...205 is the width of the tires in mm (can be read at 20.5cm). The middle number is the profile/thickness of the tire, which is read as a percentage of the width or 40% of 20.5cm. The last number of course is the wheel diameter. There are 2.54cm in an inch so take 20.5 divided by 2.54 to get the width in inches then multiply that number by 0.40 to get the profile height. Multiply that number by 2 (both sides of tire) and add the 17 for the wheel and you have the exact tire diameter. If you go up a wheel size then the profile needs to go down to compensate for it.