Thread: Problems installing Optima battery

Default Problems installing Optima battery

Well I got my Optima yellow top the other day and just started to install it today and the thing isn't working with me.

When I put the battery in the proper position with the terminals closest to the wires, the + and - terminals are opposites. An easy solution is to cross the wires and I'm set right?

Nope, the + wire reaches fine, but the - wire doesn't reach all the way across.

Below are the two grounding locations for the - wire.

So, I turned around the battery with the terminals facing the other direction (the + and - were lined up and both reached). But another problem is that the battery tie down (aftermarket and stock) doesn't fit right and I can't get it to stay.

Two solutions:

1. Extend the grounds so it will reach.

2. Buy a different battery tie down.

Any ideas/suggestions before I start hacking away or buy a new tie down?
    Team XLR8SHEN

they should offer the exact same battery with the termials swithced. on napa batteries, it would be the regular part number with a "r" for one style and without the "r" for the other style. same batteries but posts are swapped. goodluck

bye a new tie down......crossing the lines is going to look bad and the factory tie will look bad on that yellow top too....

My suggestion would be to upgrade the wiring.
    You could (if you wanted to) get a few feet of good 4awg cable...maybe some black, and some silver, with nice connectors, and upgrade all the factory wires. I would guess the factorey uses 10awg cable (or close to it). Replacing the wiring with new 4awg would (IMO) look a lot nicer, solve the battery terminal issue, and might event help the overall performance of the stereo...

John

2007, 2008, & 2009 IASCA National SQi Champion Pro Ultimate
    Total of 5 National Sound Quality Championships.

Formerly Spyder Man

Quote Originally Posted by redgst97
    My suggestion would be to upgrade the wiring.
    You could (if you wanted to) get a few feet of good 4awg cable...maybe some black, and some silver, with nice connectors, and upgrade all the factory wires. I would guess the factorey uses 10awg cable (or close to it). Replacing the wiring with new 4awg would (IMO) look a lot nicer, solve the battery terminal issue, and might event help the overall performance of the stereo...

John
    :boobies:

Before work today, I managed to get the battery tied down pretty well.

This is how the battery and tie down are supposed to sit in the proper configuration.

Here's the battery tied down right now.

See how close it is to the terminal?

I might just get a straight bar shaped tie down (DC Sports), but I don't think it will be any better because of the location the stud and how the nut fits on the tie down.
    Team XLR8SHEN

NOT A NOOB

you could just take that batt back and get a vehicle specific optima. it shouldnt take longer than two days to get one, and then you dont have to woory about that - wire arcing on the tiedown.

HOW DO SOME PEOPLE WALK UPRIGHT.........
    --TEAM FUCT OG--
    07' moomba outback v
    02' Xterra
    01' IS 300

ha ha ha ha

Formerly Spyder Man

Quote Originally Posted by 05spectra
    you could just take that batt back and get a vehicle specific optima. it shouldnt take longer than two days to get one, and then you dont have to woory about that - wire arcing on the tiedown.
    Because ground is known to "arc" in a negative ground system
    :boobies: