Thread: oil return line routing

Question oil return line routing

does anyone have good pics on how to rout the oil return line on a b series i think mine may be routed wrond i keep blowing exhaust oil seals on my turbo and cant find any good tech write ups all of them tell you to install the return line but not how anyway as allways sorry for the spelling and any info would help

from turbo to oil pan .... thats it

93 sol Si
    95 sol S
    95 sol Si

BOOSTED GSR/HYBRID

well same for me turns out my turbo dont even have a seal there it leaks oil over 10 psi if you find out y its leaking lmk

Do you guys have flanges, or gaskets ?

Certified Gearhead

The line to the oil pan should be a slope, can't be any lower than the hole at the pan. There should be a gasket between the flange and the turbo housing.

as long as there is some downward angle from the turbo, it should be fine. if you want to bring it by one day, i'll take a look at it
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

what kinda turbo do you have and are you running a restrictor? i have never ran one but have heard from reliable sources that on a turbonetics turbo you should run a restrictor. supposedly those turbos are bad about blowing seals with high oil pressure..thats why you need the restrictor. just some thought for you...

and like the others said make sure the oil return is a constant flow...no lops or low spots. also what size are you using? if you are using a small one like -3 or something thats your problem. i used -10

im using a 3/4" line its in a downward slope at the oil pan i had to make an elbo set up just soo i could turn it 90 deg. im thinking that maybe my problem im runing a garrett m11 journal bearing

patrick ill try and bring some pics of my setup by let you see it i have it taken apart right now let me know if you have a lil time in an afternoon one day like around 6 thats my lunch

Quote Originally Posted by helcat17
    im using a 3/4" line its in a downward slope at the oil pan i had to make an elbo set up just soo i could turn it 90 deg. im thinking that maybe my problem im runing a garrett m11 journal bearing

patrick ill try and bring some pics of my setup by let you see it i have it taken apart right now let me know if you have a lil time in an afternoon one day like around 6 thats my lunch
    is the bottom, return line portion of the turbo center section facing downwards? are you running a restrictor plate on the feed line? and where at on the oil pan did you tap the hole, top or bottom? and do you have any major restrictions on the intake side of the turbo?

there are no restrictions im not using a oil restrictor i have been told that you dont have to on a journal bearing turbo i taped the oil pan as far up on the oil pan as i could the drain is facing down