Thread: autozone CAI

Default autozone CAI

Okay, i was at autozone picking up some bulbs and i got to browsing through their on sale shit, and came accross a cold air intake kit

it's made by a company called sprectre, and my car was on the app. list, so i went ahead and bought the kit and one of their filters

i'm pretty mechanically inclined i guess, my question is could it harm my engine in any way and will i need to make any other adjustments after adding the filter

i havnt opened it yet so i dont know if the filter is pre-oiled or what, but basically what i'm asking is will i run into any long term damage or anything

will it over heat, check engine light, BS like that.

never really looked into intakes before, this one just kind of fell into my lap.

any input helps.

and i dont expect much but will i get any noticable performance or what

shouldn't hurt at all as llong as you plug the sensor(s) in...and anyhting else back in if you had to unplug anything
    You know better; next time will be a ban.

Its a cold air. Do you have all of your fender wells. The reason i ask, because you don't want water to get to that filter. I would get a short ram just because the power gain isn't substantial enough to risk you engine swallowing water.

it's a short ram because it doesnt go all into the fender well just by the battery, i still havnt put it on yet i'll put some pics when i do

the car sounds really "gurgly" and deeper now than it used to. normal i guess?

Osaka Sokutatsu mocha latte cupcake's Avatar

yeah, when you get on the gas it should sound deeper, but if its "gurgly" as in idling rough at idle, check your connections and make sure you haven't thrown a CEL or MIL (check engine or malfunction Indicator light) some cars throw codes til they get used to the increase in air (aka my spec V) its nothing big the car just has to learn its AF curve again.

it sounds fine at idle just sounds kind of gurgly on hard accelleration up to around 3k then it clears up and makes a kind of whistle sound

check engine didnt come on or anything

gurgly as in a loud deep rushing air sound like is the car moving without any hesitation? or is it bucking and sputtering til that point?

it isnt missing or anything just sounds real deep, sorry for the stupid questions first time i ever messed with this car, before it was 100% stock

and it makes a hum sound at idle..

here is a pic of what i got, all the clamps and stuff are tight.

and is it long enough

yeah man your good! congrats on your first mod! enjoy modifying your car buddy feel free to ask questions anytime you have a problem don't mind the haters, they just like pickin on noobs. later buddY! congrats again!

Quote Originally Posted by ruffriderGA
    i'm pretty mechanically inclined i guess.
    But you don't know anything about intakes?

there is a difference in being mechanically inclined and knowledge, just cause you get the basics of something and are going to be able to work well with your hands doesn't mean you have the know how to do something that you've never done before. its like yousef, he's got the skillz but sadly he makes love to camels

i know how to turn a wrench i just wanted to be 100% sure on this car because it's never been messed with before and i didnt want a check engine light or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by Prince NISMO
    there is a difference in being mechanically inclined and knowledge, just cause you get the basics of something and are going to be able to work well with your hands doesn't mean you have the know how to do something that you've never done before. its like yousef, he's got the skillz but sadly he makes love to camels
    and thanks for the help about installing the intake man

Quote Originally Posted by Prince NISMO
    Ok, true. At least you didnt take it to a shop to install it for you. So props to you

what would be the best thing to do next to wake it up some

Nitrious but realistically just headers and exhaust.

Vtec controller and tune, that would be my next step, that way you can tune your AF ratio to optimize it and then you'll be able to lower your vtec engagement point. its a better way to spend 400 some dollars i'd say, however since i don't know the 3.0 engine that well headers might be a better investment depending on money. but if it comes down to 750+ for headers VS 500+ for Apexi Neo V-AFC i'd spend the 500 to get the same power.

and no problem man! always glad to help another tuner

I'm sure the 6 cylinder will enjoy some nitrous.