Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Toyota/Lexus tech or anyone that knows......

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Default Help Toyota/Lexus tech or anyone that knows......

I have Lexus and the engine light came on and it is giving code P1155 which is
    P1155
    Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

i thought this was o2 sensor and replaced it but light came back on. Does anyone know what this could be or could it be i got bad sensor?
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

You should check out the Lexus forums

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

I did but they dont reply for awhile and i trying to get this fixed.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

That is not a standard off the shelf O2 sensor that needs replacing. You have to replace it with the factory Air/fuel O2 sensor and reset the ECU.

Did you replace it with a factory piece? What Lexus do you have?

yea there is a diff between oxygen sensor and air/fuel sensor. And what he said^^^. I work at a lexus shop,what year and make and ill look it up for you........its slow today lol

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

look up Corey99 (i think is his name on here). He works at Lexus in service department and can help you out
    07' Jeep Wrangler X
    GA Trail Riders

This is the wrong Forum...

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

It is 1998 es 300. Thanks for the help. So are you saying the o2 sensor that is on backside of engine near firewall was not right part to replace or that it is just wrong part?And no i did not get part from dealership i got Bosch o2 sensor.

Sorry it is wrong forum got confused in new format.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

KING OF SIGS BISH FRO RRY Rican219's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfire9
    It is 1998 es 300. Thanks for the help. So are you saying the o2 sensor that is on backside of engine near firewall was not right part to replace or that it is just wrong part?And no i did not get part from dealership i got Bosch o2 sensor.

Sorry it is wrong forum got confused in new format.
    FUCKIN GET A REAL CAR LIKE A CIVIC!!

MOVING THREAD BISH
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT (Not your Daddys 4 door)
    2006 CBR F4i - (Sold)
    2007 Lexus IS - (Sold)
    2006 MazdaSpeed 6 - (Sold)
    Most recent cars list is too long

You sure you have the right sensor in there? If you have the old one put the part number on here and ill tell you if its an oxy sensor or air/fuel sensor. Some have oxy some have air/fuel

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

The old one is also a Bosch sensor. It went out last year sometime and when i replaced it, it went away. Now year later it is giving me the P1155 code.I will say that the plug did not match up and they at Autozone said i could just splice wires together and keep same plug that i have. So im replacing the right part? Are you saying i may have wrong part?Thanks for your help on this i cannot stand rifin around with light on. Lastly does this affect anything else with car by me driving it?

So do i need to ask for air/fuel sensor and not o2 sensor?
    Last edited by dfire9; 09-29-2006 at 01:57 PM.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Ugh.... you shouldnt "just" splice the wires. If the connection isnt right the part isnt right...you might be putting an oxy sensor in when it needs the air/fuel or vise versa. Know what I mean? Just get a factory part. where do you live?

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

I dont know which one you need? that car comes with both. Air/fuel sensors part number starts with 89467-xxxxx and oxy sensor starts with 89465-xxxxx thats why i asked for the part number on your old one but since you dont have the old one, just have to match up connectors bro.

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Near ronald reagan right near 124
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by dereksi
    Ugh.... you shouldnt "just" splice the wires. If the connection isnt right the part isnt right...you might be putting an oxy sensor in when it needs the air/fuel or vise versa. Know what I mean? Just get a factory part. where do you live?

Exactly.

That is what I was trying to tell him in the beginning. One is a regular ole O2 sensor and the other is an Air/Fuel sensor. They look alike, but they are different. If he replaced it with a run of the mill O2, he will still have the code. If he didn't reset the ECU, he may still have a CEL.

dfire9: Get the part number off the old one and post it up here. Derek can look it up and tell you which one it is and just replace that one and reset the ECU. Done.

More than likely you just replaced the wrong one or WITH the wrong one.

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

So this might be stupid question, but what kind goes in the bank 1 sensor 1? Is it the air/fuel or o2? Can u get air/fuel sensor from autozone or does it have to come from factory?
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900
    Exactly.

That is what I was trying to tell him in the beginning. One is a regular ole O2 sensor and the other is an Air/Fuel sensor. They look alike, but they are different. If he replaced it with a run of the mill O2, he will still have the code. If he didn't reset the ECU, he may still have a CEL.

dfire9: Get the part number off the old one and post it up here. Derek can look it up and tell you which one it is and just replace that one and reset the ECU. Done.

More than likely you just replaced the wrong one or WITH the wrong one.
    thats what im saying. And dfire, im not trying to be a dick here...me and jamie are saying is that car can have either one,does that make sense? Bank 1 sensor 1 can be either one.

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

And I guess you can get one from autozone but im a lexus tech and all i use is lexus parts sooo its up to you.

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Only thing is that the sensor that was there is not factory one. Is this affecting the car to where i dont need to drive it? And the guy at autozone reset it with his engine code puller.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Oh no i understand and i dont think u are being dick i really appreciate the help. So i thinking maybe i should take one i have back and ask for air fuel sensor and put that one in. Do you know how much air/fuel is at lexux dealership. So is there anyway to find ouit exactly which one it needs or is it try it and see. Again thanks for your help
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Just cause he reset it doesnt mean its fixed...and no its gonna "hurt" the car but you need to get it fixed. And a question what did you cut and splice? The new connecter on the o2 or the wiring harness side?

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

No i know just cause he reset it it is not fixed but i want to make sure it reset to see if it was going to come back. I took connector one off of the sensor i got from autozone and put the one on it that came from factory. Did you mean it will not harm car? Yeah iam trying to get fixed asap i cannot stand riding with light on.Did you say there is some way to find out which kind it needs and air/fuel or o2. Or should i assume that since o2 did not work the other one will? Also do you know how much sensor is at lexus or if not what exactly is it called so i can get price for it.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

I hope you didn't go splicing cables as Autozone "suggested".....

You will be better served if you call the dealership closest to you and ask them for your Air/Fuel sensor rather than having some Autozone guy try to figure it out for you. As Derek and I have said a couple of times, they LOOK the same, but they are NOT the same. They don't even have the same part number. If the Autozone guys only have 1 part number for what you're asking.....as Bill Engle says....."theeeerrreee's you sign!!".

BTW, please do NOT go cut and splicing anything in that harness....PLEASE!!!!! If you don't want a perpetual CEL, do NOT cut into the harness. The right sensor will plug right in w/o any cutting. Again, that's your first sign.

^^^word

YEA...IM AN ASSHOLE

You know you can reset the ECU yourself, right?

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Did not know how is it easy enough to post how to do it? No i did not cut harness to car only one to the sensor that they gave me.So what exactly do i need to ask for at dealership and maybe i can call them in morning to get correct part.

Side not it is funny u said that cause that is what he said when i asked him they have same part number they are the same.LOL

Again i appreciate yall helping me i just want to get this fixed.

Iam heading home and will check forum as soon as i get there.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by dfire9
    Did not know how is it easy enough to post how to do it? No i did not cut harness to car only one to the sensor that they gave me.So what exactly do i need to ask for at dealership and maybe i can call them in morning to get correct part.

Side not it is funny u said that cause that is what he said when i asked him they have same part number they are the same.LOL

Again i appreciate yall helping me i just want to get this fixed.

Iam heading home and will check forum as soon as i get there.
    To reset your ECU, simply unplug your positive batt terminal for about 15 mins. Done!

If he said that he only has one part number, go back and return to him the POS he gave you.

Find the old part you took off, or better yet call your Dealership and ask them to get you the Air/fuel sensor (NOT the just the O2) for Bank 1. Verify that it's a different part no. than the O2 for the same bank. Go pay, install, and enjoy.

cant argue with these 2 fellas man . get the part at the dealer since oyu where throwing the code A/F sensor .

and i would'nt shop around at Autozone for a lexus part.

one other thing I would persoanlly take the advise from a lexus tech been he around lexus all day lol

GL
    -Ernie

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Thanks again guys i really appreciate it and i will call tomorrow to check lexus for the part and i will let you know what happens.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

You can have a Toyota dealer cross-reference the pn# and get it for less. its a air-fuel sensor, and if i remember correctly b1 is the firewall side head. Im a toyota technican myself. dont use autozone sensors for your lexus. Also i hope the new sensor u put in had anti-seize on it or they are prone to seizing into the manifolds.

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Yeah cause i think it is the same motor that is in a camry. So can i just call Toyota and ask for the part?
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Yes, still tell them you car and they can cross-reference it to a toyota part #. Even though its the same motor as a camry it may not use hte same sensors

...no, it's not a VR-4 3kgtdrvr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dereksi
    Just cause he reset it doesnt mean its fixed...and no its gonna "hurt" the car but you need to get it fixed. And a question what did you cut and splice? The new connecter on the o2 or the wiring harness side?
    ...u could run rich and burn up the cat or run lean as hell and burn up ur motor...an o2 sensor needs to cycle 8 times in 10 seconds between 0 and 1 volt while a a/f sensor stays constant at 3.3v, i think that could cause a problem. not to mention they may be more susceptible to rfi now that the wires have been tampered with. did u say u had one in for a year and it never gave u a problem? if thats so then they might have given u the right part but the heated circuit might have gone bad possibly due splicing wires. an o2 sensor needs to get to like 800 degrees fahrenheit before it goes into closed loop so sometiems they put a little heater core in there to speed up the time it takes for it to heat up which is the code u threw. either way, i think it was well stated that u should never cut and splice that stuff and parts guys are dumbfucks...right now i cant get this car done at work bc i have been sent the wrong calipers 3 times good luck though

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

I do have one question before i buy air fuel. Like the guy said above last year i replaced this same sensor with one from autozone and had to change connector per autozone guy. Once we got done putting it in the light was reset and the code went away. Now a year later it has came back and giving the P1155. Since i replaced it with the regular o2 sensor first time and it worked, is it possible that the same thing now needs a air/fuel and not regular o2? Just want to make sure i get right thing before i spend the money.Or is there anyway to be able to tell which one it needs?
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Ok here it goes i called lexus and they said that the 1998 ES 300 does not have air/fuel sensors it only has o2 sensors. So i got a price on that. My only question now is, even though it is giving off air/fuel code can it still be regular o2 sensor? I also called toyota and they cross referenced the part number and they also have it and it is cheaper. Does this sound right to any of you? Is it safe to get one from toyota dealership?
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

listen, i work for a toyota dealer and any time we work on a lexus we cross reference as much as possible to get the prices down and to use our own stock, its fine.

I just looked up your es300 on our computer, p1155 is an AIR FUEL sensor code. the p1155 code is limited to california spec es300 in 98, so it is NOT an o2. the dealer probably looked up sensors for a federal spec es300 which doesnt have an a/f sensor.

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

So you are saying that the problem is not an O2 sensor. I just got one of the code pullers and pulled codes myself and this is what came up

P1153 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
    P1155 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

So with these codes what do you think the problem is? I never got the 1153 until now do you know which sensor that is? Is that the one on top of manifold?
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

Ok, an o2 and a air/fuel sensor are not the same. a p1155 will only appear on a CALI spec es300 which has air/fuel sensors. Heater circuit malf codes 99% of the time need a new sensor.. im not sure about the p1153. Bank 1 and bank 2 are each of the heads, so youre getting codes for both the front and rear head sensors. and yes they are the ones in the exhaust manifolds.

SPRAYGLO DULUTH

Can one sensor cause the other sensor to read wrong? Reason i ask is cause this is first time the P1153 has come up and i have ran the codes at least 4 different times.

Lastly i see what you are saying , so when i replaced last year with o2 sensor from autozone, do u know how it could have work for year before coming back? Is there something on the car that would tell me if it Cali spec? I really appreciate your help on this.
    Sprayglo
    770-476-7048
    Kaisoku Motorsport

No, they are typically un-related except in the rare case of a bad ECM. As far as it working, im guessing somehow u got an air/fuel sensor from them.. im really not sure. Doesnt really make much sense imo. Im basing the car being cali spec on the code you got, per my lexus TIS information it will only throw a p1155 on a cali spec with a bad AF sensor.. ill try and post up the PDF file on the code tomorrow.

tomorrow at work ill check out your other code to see what its about, i havent personally seen it before so im curious also. theres a few parts that you should never use an aftermarket generic part on, o2 and air/fuel sensors being one of them lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast