Thread: Thoughts on Maaco paint job?

Default Thoughts on Maaco paint job?

I have a friend that needs a car painted relatively cheap, same color (black). I have heard things before about some Maaco locations actually being pretty decent, which ones? Any other places he should consider? His budget is around $300. Thanks.

ehhhh, be ready for runs and or having it flake off in a few years.

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

and you could probably do a better job yourself for cheaper.

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Barefoot Motorsports

u get what u pay for.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Prep it yourself and Maaco is awesome.

ALSO HAVE IT BUFFED WHEN ITS DONE

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by no mo hondas
    u get what u pay for.
    +1 Paint done right takes time and money.

resident honda hater redrumracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett
    ive heard the several times before.

AWD

if u scuff the car yourself and take all of the moldings you dont want any paint on it can turn out okay, if you dont scuff the clear they just shoot paint on top and wont adhear good to the surface thats why it flakes off and about the runs it depends of the painter at the location. all and all you get what you pay for. the cheapest paint they can get.

hmmm I have a 2 year old maaco paint job on my car, and paint is still gravy! no overspray/ flaking watever. and mines just a stage 1 acrylic
    Last edited by YouKnowIt; 11-13-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    /Oo ___A___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

just say
    PawnShopMike

I miss-spell big words freeqwentlee thanks Dekalb Co skhool systems

my bro got a maaco paint job. we did all body work and prep. took are sweet ass time with it and was the worst paint job ive seen. it wasnt even and runs everywhere. save a little more money and get it done right..
    2008 Ford Ranger (daily driver)
    1979 BMW 320i (project car)

PGGAY AND TAG MASTER

300 bux will not even get a maaco paint job now lol....and for the record they do sand the shit out of your car...i worked there once for a temp service...

and you should see some of the cars people brought there to get panited. when they really should have dropped them off at the junk yard.

buy my nike sb's and supras........check my threads.....

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett
    Dude I cannot agree with you more.

Any halfass painter can spray a car with no runs. 90% of paint work is the prep. I've seen some shit jobs come from Maaco but then again I saw a Plum Crazy purple Cuda take best of shows numerous times with a Maaco spray. The difference, the Cuda Duda prepped his car himself and stressed no runs. Then buffed it out and voilah....damm fine job.

Maaco is all about what you put into it. Let them do everything and you are probably gonna get crap. Help them along a bit and you will get good stuff. Probably gonna have them do mine.

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

it really depends on the maaco you go to. all of them arent shitty. the one in conyers is pretty damn good. i have a friend...actually two, that had theirs painted at this location a few years back. been about 4 or 5 years. still looks like new.

Slimm

My Dad got a black paint job done on his 86 Chevy C10 and it looked damn good. This was also about 10 years ago and he sold it shortly after, but I think it really depends on the painter them self and not so much the fact it was done @ maaco.

Typically though, they are horrible w/over spray...

u juss have to find the right macco shop. some macco shop does crappy job. the one in fayettevill on hwy 85 does a great job.

^^Videographer/Photographer at^^

I agree with people on pay to play (I would expect closer to 1K to paint my car the way I would want it) but this is simply a job to cover up some real faded paint on roof, trunklid, and hood. I will probably be doing the prep work but the main thing is that even if the job is only decent he absolutely does not want chips/peels/fading. That is more important than show-car finish to him for sure.

I have had 16 cars painted by Maaco in the past 3 years so trust me on this. It all depends on which one you take it to. I can get you a pretty good job for $400 @ Maaco or I can get you an awesome job @ a different Maaco for $600. This car was done by Maaco in Conyers off Hwy 138 and there are no flaws and came with a written 4 year flake, fade, chip, etc. warranty.

Before and after pictures below. They even swapped the hoods for me. I did no prep work just took the the car and hood.

They don't know the secret of aligning a fox hood but we fixed that the day we got it home.

Also from previous past experience I know of a few places you should run from and run fast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -foxy1-jpg   -foxy2-jpg  

EM1 Crew Member

dpends on locations..i heard they left it outside to dry so dust/dirt gets in the paint

I've had 3 cars painted at Sprayglo in Duluth. All came with a 5 year warranty again crack/peel and a 3 year fade warranty.

they normally have a special for $700 for the entire car. 3 coats of Base and 2 coats of Clear

they use Sherwin Williams paint..which is really good stuff..matches factory color perfect

1999 Honda Civic EM1 FBP (Current)
    1999 Honda Civic Ex VSM (sold)
    1997 Honda Civic DX MR (Sold)
    H-T EM1 Crew Member

told you. the maaco in conyers is the ish!!

Slimm

spray glo in conyers is the ish too. this is their work. cost me $1700 tho. they woouldnt do the rims. i had a friend of mine take care of those for me.

Slimm

Quote Originally Posted by slimm
    spray glo in conyers is the ish too. this is their work. cost me $1700 tho. they woouldnt do the rims. i had a friend of mine take care of those for me.
    Do NOT go to that store. The Macco is 2 miles down the road. Long story short they screwed me.
    BMW 750iL

you mean the spray glo?

Slimm

Quote Originally Posted by slimm
    you mean the spray glo?
    Yes. The Macco does good work. Andys does also and he is in Conyers, better than the Macco at the same/better prices.
    BMW 750iL

damn. thats bad juju. how long ago did sprayglo do u dirty?

Slimm

About a year and a half ago.
    BMW 750iL

Quote Originally Posted by BUGMAN
    I have had 16 cars painted by Maaco in the past 3 years so trust me on this. It all depends on which one you take it to. I can get you a pretty good job for $400 @ Maaco or I can get you an awesome job @ a different Maaco for $600. This car was done by Maaco in Conyers off Hwy 138 and there are no flaws and came with a written 4 year flake, fade, chip, etc. warranty.

Before and after pictures below. They even swapped the hoods for me. I did no prep work just took the the car and hood.

They don't know the secret of aligning a fox hood but we fixed that the day we got it home.

Also from previous past experience I know of a few places you should run from and run fast.
    You were the one I saw! Glad you posted man, I am interested in any info you can get me, I don't really care which one as long as it is a decent job. For that $400 do I need a recommendation from you and what would I need to prep? Thanks for the info!

Your PM box is full.

dag man. that sux even more. i had my old skool painted around that time. candy brown. looked like Jello Puddin'! they did my civic around september of last year. the old thing that pissed me off was the time they took. i missed NOPI Nationals b/c it. was scott there? i think thats his name. skinny white dude, kinda pale, drives a Z3. to my understanding, hes the owner.

Slimm

For You To Envy

I heard MAACO sucks ass dude, but thats what I heard, i dont know for sure.

Banned

my buddy got his civic painted there. i think it was $3xx. it came out real clean. it didnt have any runs or anything. i doubt you wanna drive to montgomery lol. but still.

Clear your PMs Bugman. I want to know the number of the Maaco that does the paintjob for 600 with warranty.
    :idb:

Quote Originally Posted by Fr33way
    You were the one I saw! Glad you posted man, I am interested in any info you can get me, I don't really care which one as long as it is a decent job. For that $400 do I need a recommendation from you and what would I need to prep? Thanks for the info!

Your PM box is full.
    Cleared it. Geez they fill up fast on here for some reason. I cleared it out completely ins and outs.

The one in Athens does a really good job for the best price. If there is anything wrong with it they will fix it. They will look over it with you when you go to pick it up. Less than a week turn around. Just tell Gary that Bugman/Chris sent ya there way. Great people to deal with and if anything is out of whack they will fix it asap. They have messed up a place on one of the jobs but they fixed it the next day and even apologized for it.

What The Hell

i dont get how they stay in business cuz all i ever hear about them is how bad they are and everything

1100$ Conyers maaco job... prep-paint - two tone - pin stripe the works - warranty... looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by X-Runner
    Yes. The Macco does good work. Andys does also and he is in Conyers, better than the Macco at the same/better prices.
    Who is this Andy? If he is a lil guy then I would be very interested in letting him have a shot at a few of mine.

Lemme know something.

another thing about Macco and any of the other chain paint shops....you get your car back and find runs they will fix it....yeah your out the car for a nother day or so but at least you cant complain about the runs as they will be taken care of.

as for how they stay in business....I know locally they do A LOT of paint jobs for local used car dealers...heck you take a faded 97 Civic to Macco and slap a $150 paint job on it ( yes...car dealers get a great deal! ) and intsantly the car is worth an extra grand....cosmetics sell more than anything else to the casual car buyer.

2000 EM1
    1998 Tacoma
    ...bagged.....in the process of a body drop