Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OBAMA Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Default OBAMA Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

I wasn't going to post this because I thought someone else would, but since nobody did (don't think so at least)..

Quote Originally Posted by ABC News
    The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824

Good thing I bought mine!

here we go again.

good thing i bought mine x2
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

Damn i guess i better go buy mine.
    Try not. Do or Do not.

Didn't see this one coming. O wait, I did.

Quote Originally Posted by 81911SC
    Didn't see this one coming. O wait, I did.
    lol!

Any gun lovers that voted for Obama should be ashamed of themselves.

On the above note they should turn their guns on themselves.
    Try not. Do or Do not.

All of the following reaks(SP?) of bullshit and just something that can be twisted to make the dems and obama seem like banning assault riffles will actually change anything.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanŽ
    Nah not even. theres not enough alcohol on the planet that would convince me to bang that chick.I wouldn't hit that with Magic Johnson's dick.....on second thought
    Epic Foxbody Thread Crew Member #10

Quote Originally Posted by redGT
    All of the following reaks(SP?) of bullshit and just something that can be twisted to make the dems and obama seem like banning assault riffles will actually change anything.
    Sure is, I mean what does this have to do with anything? They are talking about drug cartels getting automatic assault weapons, and these come from the U.S.? Last time I checked, those were already illegal (except very very rare and special cases).. The weapons they are banning are Semi-Automatic Assault rifles, which are obviously different from the automatic ones the drug cartels are getting..

Quote Originally Posted by ABC News

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

i saw this last week, the thing that is sad is mexico will not give up the serial numbers on the weapons b/c then it will be known that most of thier guns come from mexico. . . go figure. i just can't believe the US is bieng blamed for the drug violence in mexico. can we blame mexico for the americans drug problems, uhh no. this is just another step in a direction to take away arms in america. this makes me want to go buy a good gun when my taxes come in a few days, any suggestions on something powerful, reliable, that amy cost abt $800, lol
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by preferredduck
    i saw this last week, the thing that is sad is mexico will not give up the serial numbers on the weapons b/c then it will be known that most of thier guns come from mexico. . . go figure. i just can't believe the US is bieng blamed for the drug violence in mexico. can we blame mexico for the americans drug problems, uhh no. this is just another step in a direction to take away arms in america. this makes me want to go buy a good gun when my taxes come in a few days, any suggestions on something powerful, reliable, that amy cost abt $800, lol
    AK47 for $500 or AR15 for $1500+

They will be banned! Get it now or never!

I say AK, its the most reliable and best assault rifle.. An AR15 fan boy will tell you that the AR15 is more accurate and that the AK's accuracy sucks..

Well, I shoot headshots 29 times / 30 round clip at 30 yards.. Doubt I need anything more accurate..

And I prefer a gun that shoots when I pull the trigger, unlike the AR..

well that didnt happen....
    EF SQUAD FTMFW!!!!

Glad I got mine too.

2013 Corsa Blue Optima SX 2.0T

it isn't that big of a deal - what is the need to have an assault rifle? other than possible sport/hobby nothing. if someone breaks into your house your going to pull our your ar15 to hunt them down or your glock?

don't get me wrong i really want an AK47 but life isn't going to end if i don't have one.
    Paul "your bullshit makes the flowers grow"

Being a gun owner who voted for Obama, this isnt a problem.
    I agree with above. WHy do you need an assault rifle? They arent good for anything but making you think you are a bad ass. You can own almost anything in this country, so be proud that this isn't the UK. If you already have one, then you are cool. If you really want one then go get one before the ban happens.
    I am content with a pistol for home defense, which is why I own one.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    it isn't that big of a deal - what is the need to have an assault rifle? other than possible sport/hobby nothing. if someone breaks into your house your going to pull our your ar15 to hunt them down or your glock?

don't get me wrong i really want an AK47 but life isn't going to end if i don't have one.
    Truth. If you have an intruder/home invasion scenario your best weapon is going to be a handgun or shotgun. And the statistics show that you are far more likely to get shot with your own gun than you are likely to shoot an intruder.

Personally I think the whole "Home invasion" thing is hogwash. If you know what you are doing (putting valuables/jewlery/checks in a safe, etc) the theives won't be able to get much. They might get your blu-ray of your plasma TV, but really for all the investigation/runaround/etc is it worth shooting somebody over that?

ok, why do you need a Corvette? I mean a Civic will get you to work . But why buy a Corvette? The Corvette is 100 times faster, and much more dangerous, so lets take those away and mandate everyone drives a civic to work with limit of 100hp.

Assault Rifles serve alot of purposes, not just home defense.

By your guys thinking , lets outlaw all 9mm, .40 because a .45 will stop a person much faster than a 9mm or .40.

Statistics prove that AR and people that own them are not criminals. You take away the LEGAL guns, the ILLEGAL ones will still be there. sorry.

This is a power play by the liberals and Holder is full of shit on mexico
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

First I didn't vote for Obama...

Second Anyone who votes based on one item a candidates agenda should be ashamed of themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowwrx
    I fucked Šhris's mom

Quote Originally Posted by Big Baller
    Second Anyone who votes based on one item a candidates agenda should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree.

I really don't care about the assault weapons ban because I don't see any need for them. Sure, theres sport target shooting etc but you can do all of those things with regular weapons, just not at 300 rounds per minute. And you're not going to hunt deer with an AK. If you can't take down a deer in 3 shots or less you have no business hunting.

It can be said that civilians shouldn't be outgunned by the government and I agree with that in theory, but the last time a group of civilians tried to out gun the feds, it didn't end well...

I dont agree with the ban at all. He has many other things to worry about , i dont know like the f'n economy. Im really trying to give Obama the benefit of the doubt, but he needs to start fixing shit and quit messing other things up.

I dont own an assault rifle , so it doesnt bother me. If I did I might be taking a different stance.

thats the other thing will i be REALLY pissed if they get banned, no, ill be upset and just shows how stupid he is.

but this is the LAST thing he needs to worry about
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender

I agree.

I really don't care about the assault weapons ban because I don't see any need for them. Sure, theres sport target shooting etc but you can do all of those things with regular weapons, just not at 300 rounds per minute. And you're not going to hunt deer with an AK. If you can't take down a deer in 3 shots or less you have no business hunting.

It can be said that civilians shouldn't be outgunned by the government and I agree with that in theory, but the last time a group of civilians tried to out gun the feds, it didn't end well...

Well we don't agree, do you even know what the second amendment says.
    Assault weapons arent fully auto they don't shoot 300 rounds a minute.

Fuck I hat ignorant people. Go educate yourself on the second amendment and what an assault rifle is.

Edit...Fuck you are stupid. Why shouldn't law abiding citizens be out gunning the goverment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowwrx
    I fucked Šhris's mom

First I didn't vote for Obama...

I agree. However, that's not the case. The fact is this A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. The last word here is the issue. "infringed". That' is infringment.
    Paul, I agree that they're not the best for home defense and I wouldn't be running anyone down with one. Thing is though, it's not about need. It's the point that it's a right. The 2nd Amendment is a part of the Constitution and if you don't respect one part of it, you don't respect any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by white24d
    Being a gun owner who voted for Obama, this isnt a problem.
    I agree with above. WHy do you need an assault rifle? They arent good for anything but making you think you are a bad ass. You can own almost anything in this country, so be proud that this isn't the UK. If you already have one, then you are cool. If you really want one then go get one before the ban happens.
    I am content with a pistol for home defense, which is why I own one.
    This is a terrible point. Be gald we're not the UK? No shit, that's why we're here. Cause we have Rights, which this is a right by the way. Not to mention these aren't assualt rifles. What does an AK or AR do different then say a Mini 14? They're not full auto (Unless you go through the proper backgrond checks and get your license and pay the massive taxes) Not to mention you don't know if they are going to be grandfathered in like last time. I'm not saying they won't be but we don't know what they'll try and do.

Truth. If you have an intruder/home invasion scenario your best weapon is going to be a handgun or shotgun. And the statistics show that you are far more likely to get shot with your own gun than you are likely to shoot an intruder.

Personally I think the whole "Home invasion" thing is hogwash. If you know what you are doing (putting valuables/jewlery/checks in a safe, etc) the theives won't be able to get much. They might get your blu-ray of your plasma TV, but really for all the investigation/runaround/etc is it worth shooting somebody over that?
    You forgot to mention they can take your life, your daughters life, rape your wife..... there is a few things they can do.

. Why shouldn't law abiding citizens be out gunning the goverment?
    Wait... what?

If you want to take up arms against the gov't I won't stop you. I'm just saying its not a good idea there smart guy.

The second amendment says "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Not very specific, and there are volumes of Supreme Court cases that debate every implication of that sentence, right down to the capitalization and punctuation. We haven't had State militias for over 100 years (the National Guard is not the same as a militia), so that whole bit about "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State" is out the window.

Since you "hat" ignorant people maybe you should put on one of these yourself... I hear JDM is whats hot on the streets now:

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

* Thomas Jefferson

You forgot to mention they can take your life, your daughters life, rape your wife..... there is a few things they can do.
    Why would someone break into a house to do that though? You are far more vulnerable when you are away from home (i.e. carjacking) Not saying it doesn't happen, but sexual assault/abduction/etc is far more likely to happen outside the home.

And if it did happen in the home, again, a handgun or shotgun would be your best defense.

This is a terrible point. Be gald we're not the UK? No shit, that's why we're here. Cause we have Rights, which this is a right by the way. Not to mention these aren't assualt rifles. What does an AK or AR do different then say a Mini 14? They're not full auto (Unless you go through the proper backgrond checks and get your license and pay the massive taxes) Not to mention you don't know if they are going to be grandfathered in like last time. I'm not saying they won't be but we don't know what they'll try and do.

Its a perfect point. I was just comparing the two. If you wanna live in a country with virtually no weapons then move to the UK. Mini 14 , ar , ak, sks who cares.
    I like guns have no issues with them, except when they end up in stupid peoples hands.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

* Thomas Jefferson
    If you scare them enough they might just give you a Caribbean vacation. I hear the waterboarding in Guantanamo bay is excellent this time of year.

Why would someone break into a house to do that though? You are far more vulnerable when you are away from home (i.e. carjacking) Not saying it doesn't happen, but sexual assault/abduction/etc is far more likely to happen outside the home.

And if it did happen in the home, again, a handgun or shotgun would be your best defense.
    It's not about why. Criminals do not need logic when attempting a robery. What if they just came to kill you? Or a family member? We're not discussing which is a better hd weapon. We'll save that for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by white24d
    Its a perfect point. I was just comparing the two. If you wanna live in a country with virtually no weapons then move to the UK. Mini 14 , ar , ak, sks who cares.
    I like guns have no issues with them, except when they end up in stupid peoples hands.
    I don't want to live in the UK.
    And yes, I care. You make a bullshit point and can't discredit the others. Back up what you were saying with actual facts instead of just Democratic bullshit about assualt weapons. Look at the facts man. What makes the guns differnet then other thousands of semi auto rifles? Besides they have full auto varients. I'm waiting. You don't really believe Mexico is buying our guns legally do you? You'll say no, so I'm assuming you mean they get them illegally. Ok, that's fine. Laws won't stop criminals getting them though. Hence "criminals". So all that does it make it harder for us, the law abiding citizens.

Alright guys, it was fun. I'll be back later to catch up.

something that no one has bothered to mention yet is the ban on magazines with more than a 10rd capacity. I have 13rd mags for my glock. I have 30rd for the m4 I am planning to buy soon, those would be illegal (not to mention the rifle).

What do I need one for? Thats easy, sport shooting. I have the glock for home defense. I also want a nice rifle for long shooting. You can look at Australia and UK as a perfect example of what a limitation or ban on weapons will do. Right now, most burglers will wait for you to leave the house to break in because they know you just might be armed. What do you think will happen if they know for a fact that you are not? Well there is a bigger score in waiting for someone to be home so you can get their car and wallet also. You can probably get into that safe they just might have also.

It's not about why. Criminals do not need logic when attempting a robery. What if they just came to kill you? Or a family member? We're not discussing which is a better hd weapon. We'll save that for another time.
    I'm not saying that stuff doesn't happen, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to live in constant fear of it. If you really think that its likely to happen, buy a handgun or a shotgun. You can legally get a .50 Desert Eagle or a .500 S&W mag or whatever if you want massive firepower.

Its not so much the pistol grips or the bayonet lugs or whatever that I oppose about assault rifles, its the ease of converting them to full auto. Pretty much any gunsmith can make your legal semi-auto AK into a full-auto in a couple of hours.

Now if somebody breaks into my neighbor's apartment and he freaks out and starts spraying with his AK... I'm in a dangerous situation when those .30 slugs start coming through the walls.

Its not so much the pistol grips or the bayonet lugs or whatever that I oppose about assault rifles, its the ease of converting them to full auto. Pretty much any gunsmith can make your legal semi-auto AK into a full-auto in a couple of hours.
    A decent gunsmith can make my glock full auto, so I guess those should be banned too.

I guess we should ban alcohol because someone can illegally drive drunk and kill someone.

I guess we should ban cars that can go faster than 30mph because someone can illegally speed and kill someone.

How far do you want to go with banning something because it can be illegally modified to become more dangerous than its factory designed purpose?

I know you guys keep preaching about 'OUR RIGHTS' well guess what all of these rights just make more problems for us in the end. We as americans have too many fucking rights as it is... so bad we extend rights to people who aren't even American and protect the criminals over the victims.

This isn't civil war time; we don't need arms to keep the Red Coats from invading our farm lands. Owning a gun should be a privilege not a right.

I would love to know the people bitching about this that vote PRO LIFE

I know you guys keep preaching about 'OUR RIGHTS' well guess what all of these rights just make more problems for us in the end. We as americans have too many fucking rights as it is... so bad we extend rights to people who aren't even American and protect the criminals over the victims.

This isn't civil war time; we don't need arms to keep the Red Coats from invading our farm lands. Owning a gun should be a privilege not a right.
    I actually agree with you to a point. My Issue comes with the fact that the first time 1 amendment contained in the bill of rights is sucessfully attacked it will DEFINATELY lead to other attacks against other rights. Maybe next time it is the 4th amendment that is attacked or the 5th.

I would love to know the people bitching about this that vote PRO LIFE
    I dont care about this either way. Both sides have a very legitimate arguement so this is one fight that will never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy
    I actually agree with you to a point. My Issue comes with the fact that the first time 1 amendment contained in the bill of rights is sucessfully attacked it will DEFINATELY lead to other attacks against other rights. Maybe next time it is the 4th amendment that is attacked or the 5th.

I dont care about this either way. Both sides have a very legitimate arguement so this is one fight that will never go away.
    but it would be quite interesting for someone to support gun laws on the basis of PERSONAL INFRINGEMENT yet vote PRO LIFE

but it would be quite interesting for someone to support gun laws on the basis of PERSONAL INFRINGEMENT yet vote PRO LIFE

The problem with that is the defination of life. Is a fetus an independant life, or is it an extension of the mother?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast