Thread: Scientists unearth Superman's "kryptonite"

don't worry about it no control's Avatar

Default Scientists unearth Superman's "kryptonite"

don't think it's a repost, but if so, sorry. just got back from work, so i don't know. i thought this was interesting.

Scientists unearth Superman's "kryptonite"
    Tue Apr 24, 7:55 AM ET

Kryptonite, which robbed Superman of his powers, is no longer the stuff of comic books and films.

A mineral found by geologists in Serbia shares virtually the same chemical composition as the fictional kryptonite from outer space, used by the superhero's nemesis Lex Luther to weaken him in the film "Superman Returns".

"We will have to be careful with it -- we wouldn't want to deprive Earth of its most famous superhero!," said Dr Chris Stanley, a mineralogist at the Natural History Museum.

Stanley, who revealed the identity of the mysterious new mineral, discovered the match after searching the Internet for its chemical formula - sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide.

"I was amazed to discover that same scientific name written on a case of rock containing kryptonite stolen by Lex Luther from a museum in the film Superman Returns," he said.

The substance has been confirmed as a new mineral after tests by scientists at the Natural History Museum and the National Research Council in Canada.

But instead of the large green crystals in Superman comics, the real thing is a white, powdery substance which contains no fluorine and is non-radioactive.

The mineral, to be named Jadarite, will go on show at the the Natural History Museum at certain times of the day on Wednesday, April 25, and Sunday, May 13.
    myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Magius
    Yes. Apparently I owe BlueBullet a McDonalds coupon, a catalytic converter, and some lint for his girlfriend.

So...this is for real? Or a joke?
    Hmmm....
    BUY MY HATCH <--click the link, cuz.

i think they should name it kryptonite. that would be an honor.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Alfano
    i think they should name it kryptonite. that would be an honor.
    i thought they would, until i read the last part..

don't worry about it no control's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sHpReLuDe
    i thought they would, until i read the last part..
    yeah...i was kinda disappointed that it wasn't in the form of green crystals...oh well...still kinda cool that they found something with the same chemical composition as a made-up substance
    myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Magius
    Yes. Apparently I owe BlueBullet a McDonalds coupon, a catalytic converter, and some lint for his girlfriend.

Umm... kryptonite has been on the periodic table for the longest.

Krypton one of the noble gases??
    1999 Corolla CE & 1988 Pontiac Fiero