Thread: Some Pictures from My Race This Weekend

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Default Some Pictures from My Race This Weekend

So we ran the 2012 American Road Race of Champions this past weekend in the three hour enduro. We ran my Mazda RX-7 in IT7.

The week was a rough one leading up to it, I had brake issues (found a leaking caliper, then a bad master, etc) which kept us from doing the test day Thursday, which was going to be primarily a benefit to my co-driver as he has never driven the car. We missed it, so qualifying Sunday was his first time in the car.

From the start, we had transmission issues. At first it just wouldn't go into gear, it finally would after some banging on it, then out on track he had issues getting to 4th, etc. I sent him back out telling him to double clutch and just get the car warmed up and he said it felt better.

The race came around and the rain started, luckily we were starting on un-shaved RA1s which was a huge benefit. I think we moved up to like 12th overall at one point just from consistent lap times and not having to pit because of the wet.

My co-driver ran an hour and fifteen minutes or so before pitting for me to get in the car and fuel, now the transmission was worst with 4th gear pop out and some other weird sensations. After a few laps with me in the car I had to drive holding the shifter in gear, it was the hardest thing I've ever done in a car. Let me tell you, driving one handed at Road Atlanta, especially through turn 12 at Road Atlanta is not exactly fun. Especially in a race with different classes and some very fast cars out there. That's a lot of things to be doing at once. lol

After a half hour or so it got bad, all gears felt like death, they would slip out, couldn't find gears, etc. Going into T1 I fumbled for a gear, couldn't find one, I started running out of road at quite a bit of speed, saw a pack coming up behind me and decided to just open up my hands and go off. It was a rough off but I managed to keep it straight and not hit anything. lol I finally found a gear and continued but pitted and told my friend to finish the race who had the most experience out of us three.

We finished the race! By the end he was only using 3rd and 5th, but the car made it, the transmission is destroyed but everything else ran great the whole race and we got 1st in class...out of one. But hey, finishing an enduro is half the battle and finishing with a car in bad shape makes it 20x better.

Here are some pics:

Some fun Saturday night, making the final touches.

Pics from post race impound:

IA Member

sucks about your transmission! i was on the bmw team and we had fuel pressure problems but glad to hear you finish!

Quote Originally Posted by seanathon View Post
    sucks about your transmission! i was on the bmw team and we had fuel pressure problems but glad to hear you finish!
    Ah that sucks! Did you all finish? We didn't finish last year so we were pretty excited about finishing this year. lol

Congrats! As soon as I saw trans problems I was like uh oh, they didn't finish the race. Awesome that it took so much punishment.

Congrats man! Glad to hear you finished the race.

1st place is first place, no matter what!
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Cool stuff, for real, simon. Congrats.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Thanks you all!

who started the race?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    who started the race?
    It went Keith, then me, then my friend Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    It went Keith, then me, then my friend Casey.
    after i saw you at the pits we drove around to that spot where everyone three wheels ( not sure what turn that is) , it started to rain and i saw your car get a lil fishtail action , also saw the open cockpit cars spin completely out there once the rain hit

TOYOTA1515

Congrats buddy, that is awesome!
    SR20 Carbed Datsun B310

So awesome. Wish I could have come, but I had a death in the family to deal with.

I will give monies of a modest amount for the wheels so you can fix the tranny.

Not sayin'... But I'm sayin'....

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    Ah that sucks! Did you all finish? We didn't finish last year so we were pretty excited about finishing this year. lol
    we didnt finish but we did all of our pits and done more then half the race and being the only car in our class we won 1st lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    after i saw you at the pits we drove around to that spot where everyone three wheels ( not sure what turn that is) , it started to rain and i saw your car get a lil fishtail action , also saw the open cockpit cars spin completely out there once the rain hit
    Yeah he did a good job keeping it on track.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoncelica View Post
    Congrats buddy, that is awesome!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    So awesome. Wish I could have come, but I had a death in the family to deal with.

I will give monies of a modest amount for the wheels so you can fix the tranny.

Not sayin'... But I'm sayin'....
    I heard. I'm sorry.

Wheels aren't for sale! lol

Quote Originally Posted by seanathon View Post
    we didnt finish but we did all of our pits and done more then half the race and being the only car in our class we won 1st lol
    Haha nice!

Well done make thanks for sharing your event story and sharing the pics.
    Help out at Import garage so get to play in great rides and handle car parts could it get better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by scarimports View Post
    Well done make thanks for sharing your event story and sharing the pics.
    Thanks, no problem!