Thread: building my gsr

Certified Gearhead

Default building my gsr

I bought some crower stage 2 3/4 cams and skunk2 cam gears a while ago, just on an impulse buy really, but now I'm ready to put them in. I plan on building the head myself and then giving it to the tune shop to do the rest, but had a few questions first. To start with, I'm about to purchase the springs and retainers to match, as well as some valves. My question is what else is going to wear fast from putting these cams in? I dont want to blow my motor before my next oil change. Also, Crower suggests a vtec controller, but I've been told by many to just let the shop set vtec where it needs to be. Whats the best route for getting my car to run smooth with a built head? Last question.... what's the best shop for the best price in the marietta area?

Thanks for your input. All advice is greatly appreciated.

theres no point in going with those cams if you are not going to have the head P&P and a good valve job done. Without that, the flow will be limited. Do it right. Let a shop do it all.
    Land Rover LR3 HSE

if you're going to get the ecu chipped and tuned then setting the vtec point will be a part of the tuning process.

we can do it at mainstream. feel free to pm or call with any questions.
    MAINSTREAM PERFORMANCE & DIGITAL BOX TUNING
    ECU CHIPPING/SOCKETING/TUNING-HONDATA, CROME, BRE, TURBOEDIT
    HONDATA DEALER/TUNER
    NISSAN REALTIME-NISTUNE
    MITSUBISHI AND SUBARU TUNING AVAILABLE!

Quote Originally Posted by integra82786
    I bought some crower stage 2 3/4 cams and skunk2 cam gears a while ago, just on an impulse buy really, but now I'm ready to put them in. I plan on building the head myself and then giving it to the tune shop to do the rest, but had a few questions first. To start with, I'm about to purchase the springs and retainers to match, as well as some valves. My question is what else is going to wear fast from putting these cams in? I dont want to blow my motor before my next oil change. Also, Crower suggests a vtec controller, but I've been told by many to just let the shop set vtec where it needs to be. Whats the best route for getting my car to run smooth with a built head? Last question.... what's the best shop for the best price in the marietta area?

Thanks for your input. All advice is greatly appreciated.
    youll need to tune the car to get best results, power, driveability and gas mileage.

I can do all of those for you, i sell the chipped ecu's as well

The VTEC controller crower is talking about is obsolete. It was ok 4 years ago, now there is much better stuff out there.

The 2 3/4 Crower cams arent that aggressive, they are more of a stage 2 cam, nothing fancy there. So dont be scared.

you do not need to do valves or port the head with that setup. you would be better off purchasing a header than buying valves and porting the head. 190whp on a GSR is easy wit hthe right parts.

Cams can be daily driven no problem, heres a car i did on friday, GSR with Skunk2 stage 1 cams, made 22whp over stock:

[email protected] for an appt.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

IA Member

im planing on doing a gsr swap too but with toda cams what all do i need to do to the head before i run it
    ALLUSIVE

I wouldnt do TODA cams personally. they are expensive for the power you make.

My 2 Favorite Stock Block setups are:

1) Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams
    Skunk2 PRO Intake Manifold
    AEM CAI
    Rage hytech Header (i have some for sale PM ME)
    Skunk2 Mega Power "R" Exhaust
    Crome Pro Tuning (I have ECUs for sale PM ME)

2) Skunk2 Pro1 Cams
    Skunk2 Valvetrain
    Skunk2 Intake Manifold
    AEM CAI
    Rage Hytech HEader
    Crome Pro tuning

both those setups will make great power. The pro1s are more aggressive and gives you room to grow if you decide to go into the block later on and build it.

The Stage 1s are a simple , bolt in affair, thats easy.

Custom Tuning By Daniel Willie.
    Parts, Fabrication, Race Car Prep
    770-319-9605 or [email protected]

nice gl

Quote Originally Posted by Batlground
    I wouldnt do TODA cams personally. they are expensive for the power you make.

My 2 Favorite Stock Block setups are:

1) Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams
    Skunk2 PRO Intake Manifold
    AEM CAI
    Rage hytech Header (i have some for sale PM ME)
    Crome Pro Tuning (I have ECUs for sale PM ME)

2) Skunk2 Pro1 Cams
    Skunk2 Valvetrain
    Skunk2 Intake Manifold
    AEM CAI
    Rage Hytech HEader
    Crome Pro tuning

both those setups will make great power. The pro1s are more aggressive and gives you room to grow if you decide to go into the block later on and build it.

The Stage 1s are a simple , bolt in affair, thats easy.
    TODA for the win

mike hollar

Certified Gearhead

sounds lik a good build