Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The miata phase 2.

Bender A. Rodriguez

Default The miata phase 2.

Well its finally time for the turbo to go on "Thunder." I'm doing quite a bit to deal with the heat both in the engine compartment and the rest of the car. Basically the new setup goes like this:
    BEGi 3071 twin scroll turbo kit
    Tial 38mm wastegate
    Lots of DEI Gold foil heat shielding
    3" stainless exhaust/DP all wrapped in DEI Header Wrap
    Hydra Nemesis ECU with wideband
    Springfield Dyno triple pass radiator
    Synapse BOV
    Begi short runner intake manifold
    Flyin Miata Fuel rail
    Flyin Miata cam gear
    RC 750 injectors
    Integral Cams billet steel custom ground turbo cams
    16x8 Time Attacks with 245-45-16 Toyo R888's
    Race On USA fender flares
    ATI engine damper
    Bethania Garage DOM roll cage
    Ultra Shield Race seat with Halo
    Cool Shirt Clubman driver cooling system
    Main Engine Harness tuck
    Lots of custom CCR goodness as well

It should be done probably next week and ready to head to Top Speed for its final tune and official dyno numbers. I'll be happy with anything north of 360whp but I'm hoping to break 400 on pump. Its first outing is the NASA RA event in March to see what it can do. Then I'm sure we'll have to change the rear end ratio if not the whole rear end since I'm sure it will run out of gear on the back straight which is only about 140mph. Here's some pics of the setup as its going together.

Ryan Reynolds

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

One Curve At A Time

DAMMMMN, nice miata. Do mine next for charity? lol
    97 DX Civic w/ H22 FS

Damn that's nice. You should sign up and post about it over on www.mx5atlanta.com

Bender A. Rodriguez

I have a profile over there. I may take it to the dyno day they're planning just to surprise a few people.
    Ryan Reynolds

resident honda hater redrumracer's Avatar

have you looked into the mazdaspeed racing gear set 3.636 ratio

Bender A. Rodriguez

That's actually the one I was talking about. Right now I don't want to allow that kind of top speed till I can be sure the car will stay planted that fast. The car was never designed to go as fast as I'll be running it so I need to work up to those kinds of speeds. The car should be fine at the 140 the current gearing will allow and I can use that as a baseline to work from. The 3.6 gear will also help a lot since that kind of power will make the gears now seem pretty short.
    Ryan Reynolds

Boost Addict

Forged internals? Plans for coolant reroute?

I'd like to get those gears also, but right now there isn't any need for it with my stock car.

Bender A. Rodriguez

Quote Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S
    Forged internals? Plans for coolant reroute?
    Nope, completely stock engine. J/K Its got Wiseco pistons and Carillo H-beam rods, ARP main/head studs, FM valvetrain, MLS head gasket, the works. I wasn't planning on running this kind of setup on a stock engine. I'm already running the Bell reroute with 180 Tstats in the front and rear housings so it pulls from the front and rear of the head for the most even flow possible. I've installed the 3.6 gears in several cars for better mileage but this will be the first time I did it for better performance. Its a great option with a 6 speed but I'll be keeping the stock 5 speed right now. I may change out to an MSM 6 speed or get the Quaife gearset if I frag this one. We'll have to see, my main concern right now is the PPF or the wings on the diff breaking first.
    Ryan Reynolds

Boost Addict

Gotcha. I was just hoping that this HP goal was not on OEM internals. lol
    Sounds like a beast. Hope you do make it out to our dyno day.

Bender A. Rodriguez

This isn't my first rodeo with a Miata. I built the engine last summer and spent the rest of the year sorting out the aero and other cooling issues to insure that when the turbo went on I'd have things well in hand already. Now I just have to get it on track to start adjusting the suspension to compensate for all the changes. That will probably take ditching the Koni coilovers for some JIC TAR's but whatever. I'm still not sure the Wilwoods are going to keep up either but I think with a slightly more aggressive pad I'll be able to keep the brakes working, if not its back to the drawing board because those are the biggest ones available for a Miata.
    Ryan Reynolds

Definitely take this on the dyno, I would love to see it. I also like seeing how many of our members are currently viewing this thread at the bottom.

scooby_snack, RotorNutFD3S, Silver280zx, noodle, ftjandra, Roadster, Acro, metalman

IA Member

Wow - your build is stout. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the car.

Certified Gearhead

Awesome.

Bender A. Rodriguez

Thanks fellas. The cams are in so the top end comes apart tomorrow so I can install/degree those and then the last bits of motor stuff can go on and see if it still starts. Then its on to the cage and fender flares.
    Ryan Reynolds

Bender A. Rodriguez

Well here's some of the progress from the last few days. I have to remake the NASCAR bars since they come in too far and hit the new seat. The motor doesn't want to run with the new computer but I'll see what's up with that tomorrow. Its been one issue after another since all these parts weren't really designed to work together. Of course I like it when the cams have too much lift and I have to clearance the head more. That's a good feeling. lol And yea its a race car with a DVD based component stereo.

Pile of useless shit.

High tech seat spacer to set the height.
    Ryan Reynolds

Bender A. Rodriguez

So its ready to drive and ready for some light testing before it hits the dyno next week. Here's the final pics of how it looks. I've still got to cut the baffling for the radiator and some ducting for the intercooler but otherwise its done.

Ryan Reynolds

Looks fucking sick! Doesn't a FC rearend fit a MX-5? If u might need one pm me, but either way nice looking Mazda..
    Peek-a-boo mofucka what now?!

Bender A. Rodriguez

Well got back from Top Speed a bit ago and after a long day I'm a little disappointed but happy. For some reason the alternator got an internal short and killed our dyno session since we couldn't maintain solid voltage anymore. Got it all smoothed out and perfect running on 14psi and that netted 330whp and 250wtq. The best part is it had 243wtq at 4800rpm and nearly flat all the way to 7k when it started to taper to about 235 at redline. I'm running the redline up from 7500 to 8k since the power barely even began tapering at redline. It made peak hp at the soft redline so there's more to make and its breathing better than any of us expected. It mad 280whp on 12psi and 330 on 14 psi with no major changes to the map. I'm shooting for 19psi but that will have to wait till next time. With those numbers my goal of near 400whp won't be hard with 19psi. I'll post the actual graph when I either scan the printout or I get the email from Doug with the files on it. Gonna drive it tomorrow and see what it feels like. Power is very linear from 3500rpm when it really starts boosting all the way to 7500 so it should be fairly easy to drive even with that kind of power. And yea the FC rear ends fit but if I change it I'll be using a Cadillac CTS rear end since I want to kill the PPF as well.
    Ryan Reynolds

anymore updates on it?

not sure if your cam grinds are secret or what not but what kind of grind do you have? I was looking at there cams also, but I find it hard to spend that much money on a set of cams.

Bender A. Rodriguez

The cams we're using aren't listed on the site but they're standard grinds. We're using the billet steel blanks but the offer cast versions as well. I had limited options with the cams we needed since the stock cams wouldn't run anywhere near the power I'm shooting for. As for the money, if you want the power you've got to pay for it.
    Ryan Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat Racing
    The cams we're using aren't listed on the site but they're standard grinds. We're using the billet steel blanks but the offer cast versions as well. I had limited options with the cams we needed since the stock cams wouldn't run anywhere near the power I'm shooting for. As for the money, if you want the power you've got to pay for it.
    Yea I know you gotta pay to play. When I first found those cams they were right under $600 now they are $700+. Might need to get a pair before they decide to raise there prices yet again. Then my luck would be that they would lower the price.

Bender A. Rodriguez

The cast cams are cheaper than that. Give them a call since I learned much of what they offer isn't listed on the website.
    Ryan Reynolds

Bender A. Rodriguez

So here's the final numbers. Not bad for a girl car. lol
    Ryan Reynolds

wow good numbers. think i can get a ride in it if your able to oneday when im arount macon? lol cant hurt to ask.

Bender A. Rodriguez

Sure, it will probably spending most of its time chilling at the shop since none of us have garage space for it.
    Ryan Reynolds

Im still in awe at this build, combine your motor/hard top/wheels plus my turbo and car, and dopplegangers roll bar and that would be what I want lol

and I'll deff stop by when I head down that way for my finals.

Bender A. Rodriguez

Well it just got even better. We popped the motor in turn 3 at Roebling running nearly 100mph and 1.24g's. So now the new motor is getting some stainless valves, Huffaker 9qt dry sump system, 3qt Accusump, some new pistons, knife edged crank, tubular steel control arms, and some AFCO coilovers. I think I'll make my speed goals at RA since it was running just under 150mph on Roeblings straight and that was with it only coming off turn 9 at 100mph. Still gotta get used to the new traction abilities and then it should be able to swing 120mph exit speeds.
    Ryan Reynolds

why did it pop? oil starvation?

What size wheels and tires are you running?
    Matthew Brueck
    iTrack Motorsports

www.itrackms.com

any old parts u trying to get rid of, off the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by JITB
    any old parts u trying to get rid of, off the motor?
    lol that was going to be my next question once he responded.

Quote Originally Posted by redrumracer
    lol that was going to be my next question once he responded.
    Im at the mercy of the miata guys.... my ole outdated BP needs some miata mechanics..

I need a head/pistons..

Quote Originally Posted by JITB
    Im at the mercy of the miata guys.... my ole outdated BP needs some miata mechanics..

I need a head/pistons..
    well im just in need of pistons, rods, valve springs, cams, t manifold, etc, etc, etc. already have a decent head.

Bender A. Rodriguez

It starved for a second and at nearly 8k it didn't take long. I have a set of Wiseco 9:1 pistons that is coming off with light normal wear but since its apart I'm just putting new ones in it. I also have a good set of used 99 pistons/rods, a set of stock valves, oil pan with turbo drain/nearly new pump, ACT Xtreme organic disc (Barely used), probably selling the 99 head/intake, stock injectors/rail, I also have a good 95 complete engine and trans. Matt, we're running 16x8's with 245-45-16 Toyo R888's.
    Ryan Reynolds

One Curve At A Time

Lol, if I had the cash I wouldnt mind the 95 motor and tranny. Nothing like having a spare.lol
    97 DX Civic w/ H22 FS

Osaka Sokutatsu mocha latte cupcake's Avatar

roebling road claims another oil starved victim. sorry to hear it guys. can't wait for the come back tour though

This car is fucking awesome. I wish I had money to spend on mine.

It starved for a second and at nearly 8k it didn't take long. I have a set of Wiseco 9:1 pistons that is coming off with light normal wear but since its apart I'm just putting new ones in it. I also have a good set of used 99 pistons/rods, a set of stock valves, oil pan with turbo drain/nearly new pump, ACT Xtreme organic disc (Barely used), probably selling the 99 head/intake, stock injectors/rail, I also have a good 95 complete engine and trans. Matt, we're running 16x8's with 245-45-16 Toyo R888's.
    you should be able to stuff a little more tire under for sure. Some of the CSP guys ran 265s at Nats last year
    Matthew Brueck
    iTrack Motorsports

www.itrackms.com

id be interested in the 99 head/piston/rods/valves, comp in the 99 pistons are 9:5?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast