Thread: DIY Procharger Using a Turbo?

B-Town Crunk Force

Default DIY Procharger Using a Turbo?

So I had someone ask me the other day about an idea he had. Like the title states, he's wanting to make a "procharger" FI kit using a belt driven turbo. I actually thought it was a neat idea.. but was unsure if it would really work. His idea is to replace the turbine housing and wheel with a pulley, leaving the center section of the turbo and the compressor housing/wheel in tact.

I ran through some numbers and tried to come up with an estimate of how quick he could actually get the turbo to spin. Assuming that the crank pulley is somewhere around 7 inches in diameter or so (and lets say that the engine is spinning at 5,000 rpm), I came up with that if he could somehow find a blower pulley with only a 1 inch diameter, he could get the turbo spinning around 37,000 rpm.

He said he has a small turbo.. so I'm thinking maybe a T25 or something. I looked up a compressor map for a T25 and found this... (just ignore the engine rpm on here)

I'm definitely not a pro at reading these maps, but from what I see, it's taking around 65,000 rpm from the turbo to flow 5ish lbs/min.

So Basically what I'm thinking is that this idea wont work?.. Or do you think it will give some/any kind of hp gains?

IA Member

Yea, that idea doesn't sound very good. If it would have worked well, I'm sure manufacturers would have been on it a long time ago. I'm curious what he's trying to accomplish? By the sounds of it he can't run a turbo setup, but is trying to do a procharger setup on the cheap? If he's trying to be cost conscience and doesn't have the room to run a turbo up front, why not a rear-mount type setup with that turbo? It would be a lot of piping, but such a small turbo it should spool a lot better than trying that hybrid turbo/procharger.

Now something that would be wicked is a dual staged charger setup, ie, super/pro charger and turbo! It's a bit difficult to setup and tune in, but it's been done before and the results were insane

B-Town Crunk Force

Quote Originally Posted by turboplz View Post
    Yea, that idea doesn't sound very good. If it would have worked well, I'm sure manufacturers would have been on it a long time ago. I'm curious what he's trying to accomplish? By the sounds of it he can't run a turbo setup, but is trying to do a procharger setup on the cheap? If he's trying to be cost conscience and doesn't have the room to run a turbo up front, why not a rear-mount type setup with that turbo? It would be a lot of piping, but such a small turbo it should spool a lot better than trying that hybrid turbo/procharger.

Now something that would be wicked is a dual staged charger setup, ie, super/pro charger and turbo! It's a bit difficult to setup and tune in, but it's been done before and the results were insane

I think he's trying to accomplish the absolute cheapest way to boost his car.lol But I agree, if a design like this would work, it would be in production. A rear mount setup would probably be best for his case. I'll suggest that to him.

And a super charged/ pro charged/ turbo set up sounds completely mental.haha Ill have to look that up.

IA Member

It's actually a trade secret for a rather large well-known company, though I won't go into details. Definitely not something you'll see on the streets!

I think the most difficult part of it all is venting or "turning off" the superchager at a set rpm/boost when the turbo kicks in. Someday I plan to try it out on a v8 setup....just imagine the looks of seeing a blower and then hearing the singing of the turbo. That'd be a head turner for sure, haha!

Certified Gearhead

sounds to me like hes trying to acomplish a DIY vortech....lol neat idea though

HKS designed a twin Charge set-up for the MR2 back in the day. Ive also seen a custom twin charged Tiburon rolling around as well.
    N/A>>><<<BOOST

rockin' the double M's

look up centrifugal supercharger, its nothing groundbreaking
    house of turbo subarus...its all we'll drive

idk but a pro charger has encased gears in the back that run in oil kind of like a roots style blowers likr the jrsc has internal gears but the pro charger has a turbo shell and impeller instead of the screw type blades! youd have to put oil in and figure out all that mess! sounds most taxing to me!
    LET ME GUESS... YOU MISSED A GEAR!

Wow...there is some serious stupid going on here. The lack of mechanical understanding in here is astounding.
    02' Miata

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Turbo = exhaust driven, supercharger = belt driven, procharger = a brand of supercharger.

belt driven turbo is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Wow...there is some serious stupid going on here. The lack of mechanical understanding in here is astounding.
    yep since you chimmed in you couldn't be more right!

im sure thats what they all said to bill gates now we all have nothing better to do than fuck with others on the web!lol.

Wow OP, you and your friend are some stupid mfkers.

I vote retard thread of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Dollar View Post
    You haven't told anyone that those are my boobs in your avatar right? Wouldn't want people going crazy or anything...I know how you get jealous

I vote retard thread of the year.[/QUOTE]

riight on lol

Quote Originally Posted by turbob20 View Post
    yep since you chimmed in you couldn't be more right!
    im sure thats what they all said to bill gates now we all have nothing better to do than fuck with others on the web!lol.
    OMG thak you for making this thread even more entertaining! What makes it even more funny is your screen name.

ATTENTION EVERYONE.... BILL GATES INVENTED THE WEB!!
    02' Miata

OMG thak you for making this thread even more entertaining! What makes it even more funny is your screen name.

ATTENTION EVERYONE.... BILL GATES INVENTED THE WEB!!
    at least my name wasn't after some chessy azz flick with drew barrymore from the 90's lol! please.
    Last edited by turbob20; 07-11-2011 at 02:12 AM.

point is none of these things would exist if not by trial n error! dont be mad cause some one else has the testicular fortitude to try something different doppleganger! thats how all great things have come to be! what have you done lately? point is with time and money all things are possible! i mean look at the tooth pick,the fork, the spoon, freakin ketchup packets, even all the little crazy stuff we all take for granted! there rich are we're not! peace!
    Last edited by turbob20; 07-11-2011 at 02:15 AM.

at least my name wasn't after some chessy azz flick with drew barrymore from the 90's lol! please.

Holy fuck you are...well...any insult I could type might actually be a compliment. You really think the word "doppelganger" is derived from a movie? You know you can hit "control" and "T" at the same time on your keyboard, open up a new "tab" and use this thing called "google" (that Bill Gates invented..btw) and type in a word and find out what it means? Clearly you didn't know that...but you did manage to remember some bad movie from the 90's that I've never seen. It's amazing that you even know how to turn a computer on let alone breathe.

point is none of these things would exist if not by trial n error! dont be mad cause some one else has the testicular fortitude to try something different doppleganger! thats how all great things have come to be! what have you done lately? point is with time and money all things are possible! i mean look at the tooth pick,the fork, the spoon, freakin ketchup packets, even all the little crazy stuff we all take for granted! there rich are we're not! peace!
    Dude...I think you wrote this song and sold it to these guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs (click on the link to see the video)
    02' Miata

don't you cuss on this here web site! lol. does the letters F O mean anything to you? k im out not gonna be dropping down to your level any more anytime soon be good and suck a big one!

How cute. I believe you have your directional orientation backwords though.

F and O ...hmmm

Ferber Orientation
    Faux Observation
    Finger Obsolete
    Four Octagon
    Fapping Orchard
    Franz Oppenheimer
    Falcon Orange
    02' Miata

ill be honest i like your style man! you can be quite funny and 100% sarcastic too! but on the bill gates thing he built micro soft right? and who built the first world wide web internet explorer micro soft internet explorer is that not right? and what did you do google all that shit? damn! and yes i meant franz oppenheimer asshole lol!

There is a world beyond Microsoft and the internet works fine without it. Ever heard of Linux or MacOS? The internet was around before Microsoft in various forms. If you want to get technical, it was really AL Gore who invented the internet and he has nothing to do with Microsoft.
    02' Miata

yeh thats what i was told just yesterday about al gore thats hard to believe! and yes to be honest there was no internet or cell phones when i was little well except that huge zakk morris style cell phone from saved by the bell and like that big one on hot tub time machine lol.

Certified Gearhead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

mmmmm packet switching from the beginning...
    K-What?!?!

B-Town Crunk Force

It isn't nearly as outlandish of an idea as you're making it to be.. and I have no idea why you are.

Flowing at least a few psi using a large enough difference in the diameters of the pulleys, along with a good sized compressor housing, is attainable, just not practical. I can assure you my mechanical understanding is sound... probably more so than the majority of people on this site, including you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    Wow OP, you and your friend are some stupid mfkers.

I vote retard thread of the year.
    The above reply applies to you as well, asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by jfryer496 View Post

riight on lol
    And who the fuck are you?

Senior Member | IA Veteran

After reading this entire thread i am absolutely amazed at the lack of basic mechanical understanding.

This guy right above me for example ^^^ getting all angry at people for pointing out how ridiculous this is. Before you get mad at start raging at people, why dont you take a brief moment to look up the definition of a both a supercharger and a turbocharger..... then take it one more step and look up procharger, which is a brand.... like Mobile, Kraft, Levis, Goodyear or any other company that suits ur fancy. Once you have armed urself with this new found knowledge, try to figure out the point people are trying to make. If you do this and still cant figure it out, come back and i'll spell it out for you.

i love this thread...thanks ia for the Entertainment
    BLUEBERRY