Thread: What's in an angle?

Default What's in an angle?

Ive been talking to some other people about "angles". Some think it can be taken too far and some think it can give a photo some personality. What is your opinion on it? I took both of the photos below. The first photo has a slight angel to it, rather than perfectly horizontal. The second has more an extreme angle but still can be looked at without twisting your head in my opinion? Any critique and opinions welcomed.

I like both pictures, but the one with the extreme angle seems more concentrated on the car itself whereas the one with slightly less angled picture seems to share more of the background elements along with the car.
    I find myself liking the extreme angle one more because I've always liked that long-nose effect like on Top Gear where they show a car from a frontal view and makes the car's nose look elongated.
    just my
    btw- how come you didn't want the Watanabes anymore?

Supras are the best for the long nose effect lol

i like the first one better

i do feel like the second one is a bit much
    Val for President

yea i drive a cougar...

the 2nd might be angled a little much, but its still a more interesting picture than the first. I think it def. adds something to the picture
    2000 Cougar 2.5l V6/ Trubendz Dual Flowmaster Exhaust/ GMK CAI/ Dragon Z front... other stuff

Give the Prelude a shot..looks crazy cuz they have that massive overhang on the front part.

i agree with D.Choe. it depends on what angle you're going for. the 2nd one is definately on the car itself and is like a modeling picture focused on detail and the 1st one is more like a picture of action, almost like the car is moving or something. if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by thursdaybuff
    i agree with D.Choe. it depends on what angle you're going for. the 2nd one is definately on the car itself and is like a modeling picture focused on detail and the 1st one is more like a picture of action, almost like the car is moving or something. if that makes any sense.
    i like the break down of each picture pat lol

Senior Member | IA Veteran Halfwit's Avatar

to have this comparison, u must have the same two pictures at different angles.
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

Sometimes the problems with angles is over doing it. It's good to take an angle when the picture warrants it, like when the subject is on a hill or maybe when you are trying to give something an upward view to kind of stretch the picture or maybe when you are trying to include something in the background.

Personally, the problem comes in when people try to emulate what they see on the cover of a magazine X 10. If you notice on the mags, the background plays a big role in the picture as a whole. Most people see those covers and see the angles and try to duplicate them w/o taking the background into consideration. If you have a blurred background, extreme angles work. It also works when you have the sky as the main background. When it doesn't is when you have a busy background which lets you see just how extreme the angle is.

‹^›‹(ςΏσ)›‹^›

The pictures you have listed are fine... but I've seen some that are trying to be way too "artsy" and end up just being gay as hell. If ya have to tilt your head at a 90* angle just to see the picture correctly, you took it too far.... if your going to do gay angles, just do it of a specific part of the car, and not of the entire car itself. my 2c.
    Chris
    91' Mustang GT
    512rwhp/468ft-lb

Quote Originally Posted by D.Choe
    I like both pictures, but the one with the extreme angle seems more concentrated on the car itself whereas the one with slightly less angled picture seems to share more of the background elements along with the car.
    I find myself liking the extreme angle one more because I've always liked that long-nose effect like on Top Gear where they show a car from a frontal view and makes the car's nose look elongated.
    just my
    btw- how come you didn't want the Watanabes anymore?
    I think that if the car was centered on the less extreme angle, you'd like it as equally. Maybe.
    "I'm not a gynecologist... but I'll take a look."

IA Member

I think angles become to extreme when it makes you turn your head to look at it. If not then it should be ok

I like the first one better but not because of the angles (if you've seen my pictures you know I love angles, in fact some say the angles are too much). I like it because the composition is better....rule of thirds to me is the most important rules of composition and the second pictures doesn't follow it. The car is very centered within the picture. I just seem to notice I almost always like pictures where the subject falls on a 1/3 line or intersection.

A corolla can kick yo ass

Does the 2nd pic have some sort of fisheye lens or something? It doesn't look quite normal.

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

The first pic is bland, no thought involved, and the second one would be perfect if it had been taken as a portrait [vs. landscape]

Sometimes it doesn't matter though, depends on the objective for the pic...with the angle of the first one it leaves plenty of room rotate the pic until the car is level, then crop it to make a panaramic pic, maybe for a banner w/ text overlayed on the empty space to the right side...

I havent read some of the other post, but Angles are good on every other shot or so, but there are some photographers that the only way they can take a pic is with the car almost upside down or it staight up and down...

The thing to have is a variety. Both of these pics look good, but if you had five extreme angles in a row then it gets to loud if you know what Im saying,
    Almost gives me a headache!
    Stupid Auto Supra, thats what I drive, And You Can
    BUY MY CAR HERE
    www.mountainboost.com
    www.180pix.com

Certified Gearhead

well you have to realize you have some sort of "angle" in every pic. You need to be more specific in talking about extreme angles. I have to say I like George's second pic but I wished he didn't cut off the front bumper. Your angle really makes your shot. No matter how creative you get though, make sure you follow the rule of 3rds.