Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Photographer Thread!

Default Ask a Photographer Thread!

In an effort to get this section moving a little bit again, and get more people out of their seats and poking at the DSLR that you paid $1200 for while it collects dust, I'm starting this thread up to field any questions you noob hobbiers might have. Ask for advice or post up pics you've already taken for criticism (constructive or otherwise, whichever you prefer) or whatever else tickles your pickle

Feel free to sticky this if you want.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

My wife has a Nikon, the only times I ever take/use it is when I'm at Road Atlanta.

What shutter speed do I need to set it at so the cars don't look like they are parked on the track like this...

Oh, and stickied.

Great idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it. I usually ask photo related questions on another set of forums, but there are probably more people here that can use advice.

My question is concerning composition. I am familiar with the rule of thirds and fill the frame but struggle with composition still, as I am not very artistic by nature. What are some good sources to learn more on proper composition, and what do you use in the field to hint to you what composition technique that you need to use?
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    My wife has a Nikon, the only times I ever take/use it is when I'm at Road Atlanta.

What shutter speed do I need to set it at so the cars don't look like they are parked on the track like this...

Oh, and stickied.
    Youre trying to get the wheels to look like they're spinning, like this:

I heard a good rule of thumb a while back to match the shutter speed to what how fast you think the car is moving. 50mph would be 1/50, etc. I don't think I'd go too much faster than 1/150, or slower than 1/50. Just make sure you have enough daylight. But just keep in mind, the slower the car, the more blurry everything's gonna be. Shouldn't have too much of a problem with that on a racetrack but driving down a street will be more difficult.

Oh, and tracking: moving your camera with the car. Practice this skill when you're at racetracks.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Great idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it. I usually ask photo related questions on another set of forums, but there are probably more people here that can use advice.

My question is concerning composition. I am familiar with the rule of thirds and fill the frame but struggle with composition still, as I am not very artistic by nature. What are some good sources to learn more on proper composition, and what do you use in the field to hint to you what composition technique that you need to use?
    This is a tough question. I was classically trained by my dad. He was a photographer in the military. He told me that photography is more or less painting. The camera is your paintbrush and the film (or in this case your memory card) is your canvas. That's something I tell everyone I teach. Remember that you don't wanna try to please everyone else, you wanna impress yourself, and you want to have fun and enjoy what you're doing first and foremost.

I don't really like to go by rules too much because I find that its too rigid. There's no one perfect technique. Rule of thirds works a lot of the time, but sometimes you might want to frame up dead in the center. Then there's the Golden spiral and the golden triangle, both based on the Fibonacci principle in mathematics. However, the rules may change some if I'm getting paid to shoot something, like a car or a wedding. I'll usually gravitate towards rule of 3rds, if I'm trying to get more predictable and consistent results. I could honestly make a whole 'nother thread about composition. Lol.

I came across this website and it has some great info on composition in it

http://photoinf.com/

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    This is a tough question. I was classically trained by my dad. He was a photographer in the military. He told me that photography is more or less painting. The camera is your paintbrush and the film (or in this case your memory card) is your canvas. That's something I tell everyone I teach. Remember that you don't wanna try to please everyone else, you wanna impress yourself, and you want to have fun and enjoy what you're doing first and foremost.

I don't really like to go by rules too much because I find that its too rigid. There's no one perfect technique. Rule of thirds works a lot of the time, but sometimes you might want to frame up dead in the center. Then there's the Golden spiral and the golden triangle, both based on the Fibonacci principle in mathematics. However, the rules may change some if I'm getting paid to shoot something, like a car or a wedding. I'll usually gravitate towards rule of 3rds, if I'm trying to get more predictable and consistent results. I could honestly make a whole 'nother thread about composition. Lol.

I came across this website and it has some great info on composition in it

Photography Composition Articles Library

I have zero painting ability - and I mean zero. I can't paint stick figures correctly. I'm that bad. I've never had any art training, so my composition has simply been, "does it look good" through the viewfinder. The technical processes are pretty straightforward and easy for me, but the artistic side is like playing pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

I knew that composition could easily be a complete thread, but I know it is important, and could help a lot of people with using their cameras.

Thanks for the link. I have not seen that page before. Quite a few articles for me to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    I have zero painting ability - and I mean zero. I can't paint stick figures correctly. I'm that bad. I've never had any art training, so my composition has simply been, "does it look good" through the viewfinder. The technical processes are pretty straightforward and easy for me, but the artistic side is like playing pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

I knew that composition could easily be a complete thread, but I know it is important, and could help a lot of people with using their cameras.

Thanks for the link. I have not seen that page before. Quite a few articles for me to go through.
    Yeah. Like I said, composition is a tougher topic to teach. I can say I always compose with RO3s, but that might not work for you, all the time. But think of it this way. Art is pretty broad and pretty subjective. Jay Z is an artist at what he does, and he may not be able to draw for shit. Picasso was an artist, and I'm sure he couldn't write a song. Wolfgang Puck is an artist, and he might not be able to do either of those. Just because you can't draw or sing or present a dish of food doesn't mean you don't have artistic ability. The fact that you're actively out taking pics in the first place says its in there somewhere. Photos are just a different artistic medium. And the more you practice and let the artistic drive manifest itself, the better you'll get.

However, anyone who comes in wanting to know about composition techniques, check that link. It's a good way to get started and they explain it better than I could.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

How much should i expect to pay for a good used 85mm Canon ?

Senior Member | IA Veteran boostedb16's Avatar

what is a DSLR? hahaha, good idea for a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    How much should i expect to pay for a good used 85mm Canon ?
    I see 85 1.8's going on ebay for around $350, a couple got sniped for 250-275. Seems reasonable. Really good lens. Fixed length though...

You can get a 55-250 f4-5.6 for less than $200. Standard kit telephoto

You can get a 70-200mm f4 for as little as $500, to as much as $900. Another really good lens.

Just starting out, I might go for the 55-250 if I needed a telephoto. Used camera lenses tend to hold their value pretty well so you'll usually get a lot of your money back, unless you buy new.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Can you explain what the basic settings and adjustments do, and the scenerios that you would use different values and why... for example

What does iso do....when would you adjust?

What does shutter speed do? when would you adjust? The question about how to get the racecar to look like it's moving was on point for me.... Was Echonova's problem too fast of a shutter speed? or too slow?
    1994 Nissan Skyline BNR32- Currently being built for 1000+awhp (the works)

2003 Subaru Wrx (jdm sti ext.conv)- 6.0 LSx , T56, Fast 92 TB,IM,MS4 cam,+++

1995 Nissan S14.5- Sr20det, built motor, full race 3071r turbo kit, z32 tranny+++

1997 Honda Civic Ek Hatch- In process: K24/20 BC stroker, custom turbo kit, tubbed +++

I just bought a Canon elph 530 hs which is a pretty groovy camera... am I a photographer yet?
    top 5

"get with the Gs, or get on yo knees"

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Naber View Post
    Can you explain what the basic settings and adjustments do, and the scenerios that you would use different values and why... for example

ISO is equivalent to film speed. In digital cameras, its a measurement of the sensitivity of the sensor. I use a lower ISO in situations where I have enough light, and when Im sitting on a tripod at night, higher ISO when I need the most light possible, like when Im handheld in a dim lit room, or at night with fast lenses wide open handheld. As you increase the ISO, the sensor becomes more sensitive to light, but after a certain point it starts getting grainy. The higher end cameras have more sensitive sensors.

What does shutter speed do? when would you adjust? The question about how to get the racecar to look like it's moving was on point for me.... Was Echonova's problem too fast of a shutter speed? or too slow?
    Shutter speed is the speed in which your sensor shutter opens and closes. For example, 1/250 is 1/250th of a second. You use a higher speed to stop action or movement, like in sports; or to let less light in (given a constant aperture value)

Aperture value is how wide open your aperture blades are when the shutter is pressed. A good analogy would be the black part in the middle of your eye. The wider open it is, the lower the aperture value. Tighter its closed, lower. When you look at something, all that light information is coming through a single point in your eye, when your eyes dilate, like in the dark, its trying to let more light in.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
    I just bought a Canon elph 530 hs which is a pretty groovy camera... am I a photographer yet?
    Not til you get the elph 540

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Change Settings on Your Digital Camera - For Dummies

I may be wrong, but I think my settings were too fast. Hence the wheels looking like they were not moving. I just always left the camera on auto, but I've been playing around with the settings ever since I got back from the gym. Think I got the most very basic knowledge possible on how to change the settings and what they do now (the above listed sight also has a cheat sheet for specifically my wife's camera model), but before I just treated it like a point-n-shoot.

ISO is equivalent to film speed. In digital cameras, its a measurement of the sensitivity of the sensor. I use a lower ISO in situations where I have enough light, and when Im sitting on a tripod at night, higher ISO when I need the most light possible, like when Im handheld in a dim lit room, or at night with fast lenses wide open handheld. As you increase the ISO, the sensor becomes more sensitive to light, but after a certain point it starts getting grainy. The higher end cameras have more sensitive sensors.

Shutter speed is the speed in which your sensor shutter opens and closes. For example, 1/250 is 1/250th of a second. You use a higher speed to stop action or movement, like in sports; or to let less light in (given a constant aperture value)

Aperture value is how wide open your aperture blades are when the shutter is pressed. A good analogy would be the black part in the middle of your eye. The wider open it is, the lower the aperture value. Tighter its closed, lower. When you look at something, all that light information is coming through a single point in your eye, when your eyes dilate, like in the dark, its trying to let more light in.

Awesome, thank you for that.

What are your opinions of my camera? It's a Canon EOS Rebel XSI 450D. I got it for $250 with a 18-55
    1994 Nissan Skyline BNR32- Currently being built for 1000+awhp (the works)

2003 Subaru Wrx (jdm sti ext.conv)- 6.0 LSx , T56, Fast 92 TB,IM,MS4 cam,+++

1995 Nissan S14.5- Sr20det, built motor, full race 3071r turbo kit, z32 tranny+++

1997 Honda Civic Ek Hatch- In process: K24/20 BC stroker, custom turbo kit, tubbed +++

Also, Can I get more opinions on these pictures? I am trying to help my little brother improve. No harm, everything is accepted.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...l#post39494865

Awesome, thank you for that.

What are your opinions of my camera? It's a Canon EOS Rebel XSI 450D. I got it for $250 with a 18-55
    Canon doesn't make a bad camera. If you're just starting out, the XSI is great. I really wouldn't reccommend anyone spend too much money to start.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

What is a Aspherical lens and what is the difference between these and regular lens ?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samyang-85mm...item4162cd5258

What is a Aspherical lens and what is the difference between these and regular lens ?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samyang-85mm...item4162cd5258
    If you look at a spherical lens from the top it looks like this: O

If you turn it on its edge and look at it from the side, it might look something like this: (||)

If you look at an aspherical lens from the top, it'll look lime this: O

From the sides: {||, or (|( or (||

They're generally more expensive, but help with getting warped, discolored edges on pics

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

If you look at a spherical lens from the top it looks like this: O

If you turn it on its edge and look at it from the side, it might look something like this: (||)

If you look at an aspherical lens from the top, it'll look lime this: O

From the sides: {||, or (|( or (||

They're generally more expensive, but help with getting warped, discolored edges on pics
    Never mind not what i want then lol
    For general portrait use and taking photos what would you think is better 50mm Macro vs 50mm 1.4 ?

For general portrait use and taking photos what would you think is better 50mm Macro vs 50mm 1.4 ?

If you are looking for background blur with any lights in the bacground to appear as smooth round points of light, then the 1.4. If you want exremely sharp, not necessary flattering, then the macro will work.

Personally, I like using an 85mm, and I use the 1.8 and make sure to get close to the and leave a lot of distance to any objects behind them. I also like to make sure that they have a background that contrasts with their hair, and I like to get a light source behind them that highlights the hair. The lighting is more important than the lens to me.

You mentioned you already had a 50mm 1.8. I wouldn't spend any more money on that focal range yet. If you want to get an 85mm fixed, or a 105mm fixed, those are good portrait lenses

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Blank, what do you usually use for lighting? Strobes, speedlights, reflectors, all of the above or none? Just curious.

At one point I used all of the above. Speed lights were easier to carry around. Strobes like Alienbees give you an unwieldy amount of light. Really good for getting light during the daytime.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I'm thinking of buying a couple of AB800s. All I have now are speedlights.

You can get em. I personally couldn't really justify having them. They're great for model work if you're planning on getting pretty serious, or trying to make some money. But for me and what I was shooting, I just never used em and I could get by with just a few speed lights.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

how much should i be paying my nude models?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    how much should i be paying my nude models?

You shouldn't. Send them to me.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I have learn a lot more stuff from reading my manual that came with my camera kit. I installed my software and am learning to use it with my editing and how RAW makes a HUGE difference. What is you feedback on this photo blank ?

I have learn a lot more stuff from reading my manual that came with my camera kit. I installed my software and am learning to use it with my editing and how RAW makes a HUGE difference. What is you feedback on this photo blank ?

Gettin better! You dialed that flash back a lot from the last ones which is good. Keep practicing. That's the only way you can get good in this hobby.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Next adventure is... Just_CHill's Avatar

You mentioned you already had a 50mm 1.8. I wouldn't spend any more money on that focal range yet. If you want to get an 85mm fixed, or a 105mm fixed, those are good portrait lenses
    I second the 85 f/1.8. I got to use that Tuesday and Wednesday and LOVED it!

Gettin better! You dialed that flash back a lot from the last ones which is good. Keep practicing. That's the only way you can get good in this hobby.
    Ditto! Good job man!

Had to cut the damn lawn after i returned home from vacation so took a quick snap and also Uncles barn has a very nice cat feedback welcomed....
    Grass was 18-135 other was just the 50

buy me some STP octane booster whatever210's Avatar

So this thread has inspired me to use Lightroom 4 and take some pics. I bought a Nikon d3200 around Christmas and just now starting to use it. I took a pic of my buddies car and wanted the wheels to really pop since the color is amazing in person and often times pics taken of his car the wheels look way darker than what they really are. So camera/Lightroom professionals I need you to school me in this pic and tell me something I could have done better. Of its something on camera that needs to be adjusted or something in Lightroom that I could do. Thanks guys

Sweet!

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I had and tried Lr5 but work better with PS

Feedback ??

Feedback ??

They are flowers.

Ok, real feedback now - the composition does nothing for me. It's a shot of flowers shot from above. Perhaps you might try shooting them from the same level, to immerse the viewer into the flowers. That's what I had to do when I shot the black eyed susans up at Rock City.

Youre trying to get the wheels to look like they're spinning, like this:

I heard a good rule of thumb a while back to match the shutter speed to what how fast you think the car is moving. 50mph would be 1/50, etc. I don't think I'd go too much faster than 1/150, or slower than 1/50. Just make sure you have enough daylight. But just keep in mind, the slower the car, the more blurry everything's gonna be. Shouldn't have too much of a problem with that on a racetrack but driving down a street will be more difficult.

Oh, and tracking: moving your camera with the car. Practice this skill when you're at racetracks.
    Wow didn't know there was a formula to this?

I rarely have taken my camera off of auto mode and it somehow handles doing 1-handed rolling shots while I'm driving. I'll post up a few when I get back near a computer.

Feedback ??

IMO, DoF is too shallow.
    Why are you shooting at f1.4, 1/4000ss, and ISO250?
    It looks like it's daylight/sunlight, then raise your f-stop to the lens' optimal.

Like someone else said, the composition does nothing for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy
    Wow didn't know there was a formula to this?

I rarely have taken my camera off of auto mode and it somehow handles doing 1-handed rolling shots while I'm driving. I'll post up a few when I get back near a computer.
    There's not really a "formula". You just want a slow SS to allow blurring of the wheels, but not the car itself.
    I've gone upwards of 1/200 on some days.
    Slower SS means you're more than likely to shake, resulting in an un-sharp photo.
    At 1/50, you'll more than likely get a blurry shot with 1-hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast