Thread: How Old Is Too Old?

Default How Old Is Too Old?

So, how old is too old for a camera? When the photos you get are no longer usable. Until then, it's good.

Just dug up my grandfather's old film cameras.
    One is an old Zeiss Ikon medium format with a Tessar f/3.5 lens and a Compur-Rapid shutter. It shoots 120 film in 6x9 format - that's a huge negative. My grandfather used it for years, along with his old Kodak Retina I 35mm. He shot only B&W back then. The Zeiss has a yellow filter that clips on and off the lens.

I calculated that if I take and get the negative's developed and scanned, I'll get 36MP images back. That's a lot more detail than my DSLR's can do. And that means excellent 24x36 prints.

Here are some photos of them. I just started shooting the Kodak, but haven't ordered film yet for the Zeiss.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Those would look cool sitting on a bookshelf.

We have a room in our house with music and art. We are installing shelves that will hold a lot of items like these and I'm sure these will be on the shelves as well. Even the baby grand is from 1950, and we have followed that "1930-1950" theme in there so far.

you live and learn Theycall_Metue's Avatar

WOW! those seen many t-rex's in its days.
    They made quality products back in the days. Most of the new camera nowadays are more of a good looking one and not a good quality picture taking ones.

A buddy of mine put down his DSLRs and picked up film. Hasn't looked back since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.