Thread: Being too overally critical of my Oly EPL3's performance?

Default Being too overally critical of my Oly EPL3's performance?

Hey Guys, first off I am new to the 4/3s game, and consider myself a true form of an amateur photog.

I have had this Olympus E-PL3 for about 2 weeks and have been playing with it for a little while. I picked this camera up after playing with a friends Lumix GF2 and wanting to be able to carry something around that can take quality shots while not being as bulky as my Rebel XTI. The EPL3 I bought (bought brand new as well) came with the 14-42mm lens (should have bought with the prime lens though.)

Here is my concern, after playing with the camera on manual mode and automatic mode, I cant seem to get clear shots at 100% crop. My photos look good when at 25% but if i zoom to 100% in PS, no matter what, the image isnt crystal clear. I see noise in the color and the picture is fuzzy from this. I know having a zoom lens doesnt offer as crisp a shot as a prime lens as well, but for what I paid, id figure I wouldnt have this level of noise. Should this be something I should expect from the 4/3's platform? I know some of the areas Im complaining about arent in the focus area (so possibly just need a different fstop.)

Here is an example:
    100% crop:

Original resized:

100% Crop:

Original:

Just color me crazy if you think im being too critical. Im just bothered by the level of noise I am seeing.

I know these pictures arent great, but they were taken as to show the finish of the car instead of artistic.

you should specify your settings for the shot and 100% zoom in on your focal point. If you focused on the tailight and look at a 100% crop of the wheels it wont be too accurate and vise versa..

From what i see it is fine, 4/3 are not comparable to a APS-C/35mm sensor in any way at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    you should specify your settings for the shot and 100% zoom in on your focal point. If you focused on the tailight and look at a 100% crop of the wheels it wont be too accurate and vise versa..

From what i see it is fine, 4/3 are not comparable to a APS-C/35mm sensor in any way at all.
    Jeffrey's Exif viewer

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post

I asked a few questions over at the mu-43's board and they recommended me shooting in just raw and exposing to the right. I did that and i think i might be happier with the image i am getting.

Here is an edit in light room from the raw file:

To me it looks as if it has gotten rid of most of the noise i am seeing (some were calling it jpeg smearing ???)