Thread: just a ? on technique

Certified Gearhead

Default just a ? on technique

so i have a d40 and i have had it for about two years or so and its amzing. for the most part i dont use alot of the slections.i dont really manually change setting i guess.i use it mostly on auto focus and slection.i have read up on how to use different apature setting to get different affects but it seem like if i use the manual setting i get crap pictures cause i get one then move then i have to go back to auto to start getting good pics.i know it is easer to use when moving reather than like a photo shoot when you have control of what your shooting.i guess i am asking is it common for most to use the auto or have i just not figured out how to use the different settings enough to manualy set them?

one other quick question is shooting in darker settings i get alot of grain i kno the iso has alot to do with it.im still using the built in flash, would getting a different flash help.suggestions?

thanks or the help if any i really enjoy photography and just want to lean what ever i can.

there is plenty of information online to help you get better-since you don't know the basics start with your instruction manual and then use google

Start with the AV mode to control your aperture, then watch your shutter speeds automatically change according to the amount of available light... this should give you an understanding for the what and why (when you are ready to go full M mode). The fact that you distress about your settings changing constantly to your situation, leads me to believe you have a lot to learn. A photo shoot location is in by no means controlled, it is adapted to...even using a studio light setup still requires adaptation and changing of your camera settings (you reposition lights/subject... new settings).

It is important to just use your camera to experience/figure out what is going on with the results. Read about equipment to see what it does and how, you are going to have to invest some time.

Quote Originally Posted by firstgensir View Post
    so i have a d40 and i have had it for about two years or so and its amzing. for the most part i dont use alot of the slections.i dont really manually change setting i guess.i use it mostly on auto focus and slection.i have read up on how to use different apature setting to get different affects but it seem like if i use the manual setting i get crap pictures cause i get one then move then i have to go back to auto to start getting good pics.i know it is easer to use when moving reather than like a photo shoot when you have control of what your shooting.i guess i am asking is it common for most to use the auto or have i just not figured out how to use the different settings enough to manualy set them?

one other quick question is shooting in darker settings i get alot of grain i kno the iso has alot to do with it.im still using the built in flash, would getting a different flash help.suggestions?

thanks or the help if any i really enjoy photography and just want to lean what ever i can.
    I recommend following A.A's advice and watching how the shutter speed reacts as you change your aperture settings. You will find that they are (very generally) inversely related, that is, as you raise f-stops (your aperture setting), your shutter speed will decrease.

To your other question, the higher the iso, the more grain. If you are shooting with a D40 in the dark, you will almost always need to be using a tripod (with the iso setting set as low as possible).

I would not recommend buying any additional flashes or equipment until you completely understand why you need said equipment.

Certified Gearhead

thanks for the advise.i cant get on much but im always on here reading other peoples information and usualy helps.so a lil more reserch got ya.

IA's Custom PC Junky eViLMunkey's Avatar

larger F-Stop = Wider Opening in aperture (More light allowed in), but yes for me I was more comfortable w/ jumping straight into manual to see how the settings worked, but that's how I learn and I was used to using Film based SLR's that way. But yes A.A. is right in the the AV mode will help you familiarize yourself w/ how everything works together.

Also yes for the best ISO speed at night have a tripod and a low speed 200 and below bring out better photos but mainly for immobile subjects