Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: martial arts / ju-jitsu anyone?

Default martial arts / ju-jitsu anyone?

i'm a little south of atlanta in columbus... around here the popularity of martial arts is growing pretty rapid...

how about atlanta?

anyone into martial arts? ju-jitsu? kickboxing?
    do you have this one in your maro crafty???

BJJ is interesting, me and a buddy found a place called "Velocity", it is a mixed martial arts training comp specializing in BJJ. We should get the IA badasses to come train there. I think it would be interesting.

lol.... yeah.. last time i trained i dont recall seeing anyone lose from "keyboard triangle"... would love to see some people around differ forums on the mat

there's about 4 differ ju-jitsu places in the area... aswell as a crap load of karate crap...

Certified Gearhead

I have been taking jiu-jitsu since the beginning of this year. I go to Satori Martial Arts in Roswell and take a combination of BJJ and judo there. It be cool to have a IA MMA tournament. I also have a wrestling background and a little muay thai training and I'm trying to become a well rounded fighter.
    "Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

-Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father, author, and inventor

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I have been taking jiu-jitsu since the beginning of this year. I go to Satori Martial Arts in Roswell and take a combination of BJJ and judo there. It be cool to have a IA MMA tournament. I also have a wrestling background and a little muay thai training and I'm trying to become a well rounded fighter.
    i hear ya.... they auctually host some amatuer fights here in columbus...

something you should look into if you feel pretty confident in your ability.

the only martial art i've trained in is BJJ, i try to pick up things from other arts in books.. videos ect...

did you catch UFC 59 tonight?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -columbusfights-jpg  

1st DegreeJKD. Same SN on www.fightauthority.com
    "I'm not a gynecologist... but I'll take a look."

forgot to mention, the fights in columbus are at the bradley theatre...

Quote Originally Posted by BABY J
    1st DegreeJKD. Same SN on www.fightauthority.com
    you should come over to sherdog.com

Quote Originally Posted by WickedOne
    you should come over to sherdog.com
    Heard of it. I will give it a look... I do not fight NEmore (full contat), but I am still just as potent. It was decent $$ to toss into my cars when I was stationed in Okinawa. PM me if there is some underground stuff poppin off... u know what I mean. PM though, I wanna keep that part of me off the boards if u kno what I mean. I'd take the ride down there, and if it's worth it I can be up to speed in 3 months. I'ma dad now and am in corporate America so it'd REELY have to be worth it, but I do miss the rush...

they probably pay $100-200 to fight/win at the bradley theatre.... not much money in "amatuer" martial arts...

hell.. some of the UFC under cards only make $1000-2000 to fight/win...

fails in comparison to the $250,000... $300,000 for guys like chuck Liddell and Rich Franklin...

That's crazy... in Japan I was make 1k per fight w/ 2 fights a week. Not to mention sidebets... not worth it AT ALL in the US unless you're on the west coast.

The House Of Honda The Green Monster's Avatar

2degree in TKD

Blue belt in JJJ.
    Add My IG: @The_House_Of_Honda / @Paddleshift.Photo [/b]

it's surpising to me how many uneducated people still talk enormous ammount of shit at bars and things.... i see fights break out at bars and it's 2 bums swinging aimless hailmarys at each other... then i look around the room at the people i actually know train in some form of martial art and think... " i'm glad it wasnt one of them he started up with "....

just my own personal opinion.... i would say atleast 4 out of 10 avg sized athletic males have trained in some form of martial art in their adult lives...

so if you have a big mouth... might want to seek some training

and ironically... the most hardcore guy you know.. the guy who kicks your ass at the gym...... you never see start anything with anyone!?!?

Like I said, I am a 1st degree in JKD. And I was an underground guy in Okinawa. It was a tough life, but only b/c I was in the Air Force still. I HAD to be quick --> I would come to work sore and the occasional black eye (full-contact in Japan), and for the people NOT in the know they assumed I got waxed every weekend by the locals. LOL. It was DEF funny... I went to a spot called "The Hideaway" outside of the main gate... restaurant by day, lower floor nightclub by night, and on Wed and Fri the basement was "the spot". You don't know how many times TOTAL STRANGERS saw me w/ a shiner and said "I'll give you another black eye bitch." LMAO!! The dumb shit people say when they get a lil juice. And the bigger guys def had power, but no chin. I figured it out, the muscleheads in the gym never really have people try 'em... so they can NOT take punches... I'd drop those guys in a hot second. But there are also some old IRON HEAD fuckers too... not like they had so much of a chin, only that they were too STUPID to know that they were hurt, adn hurt BAD. You ever went full-contact w/ one of those guys? Those guys that are too stupid to know that they are dead, so they keep fighting? LOL. THOSE are the scary ones b/c when you KNOW that a guy should go down and he doesn't, it takes your mental away... and Jeet Kune Do w/ no mental is ... well... an ass whooping!!! LOL

I took TKD when I was younger, I have been thinking of getting back into it, but with kick boxing as well....Just have to wait til summer, when I have more time
    grand prix.....

That's crazy... in Japan I was make 1k per fight w/ 2 fights a week. Not to mention sidebets... not worth it AT ALL in the US unless you're on the west coast.
    true dat
    www.fairtax.org
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    True. But where's my sig?!! (lol)

The House Of Honda The Green Monster's Avatar

after JJJ i'm goin into Kenpo

my cousin just got his ISFA (International Shoot Fighting Association) license not too long ago for winning an MMA tourney in Cali, he's only 17

but yeah, Martial arts is pretty big in my family I guess, cuz my dad is a 4th dan in Sho Ren Ryu, from when he was stationed in Okinawa (Retired A.F. Tech Sgt.), and then my youngest cousin is starting to get into it, but I'm not sure what he's gonna start in, but I told his mom any form of Jiu Jitsu
    Add My IG: @The_House_Of_Honda / @Paddleshift.Photo [/b]

Okinawa is a hott-bed. When I was in the Air Force and stationed there, I went to an exhibition where a 64 year old JJ master caught an arrow (bare-handed) that was shot from across the arena. 1st sttempt he missed it, and 2nd attempt he grabbed it. Even though I have +15 years in martial arts, I would not have belived that had I not saw it with my own eyes. Craziness.

i always wanted to train in some form of martial arts. but back in the days it was enough training fighting off people trying to rob and punk you.

i would say im a 3rd degree new york black belt now
    http://twitter.com/LEGEND_STATUS
    1997 w/1999 civic w/ Built GSR...FS/FT

You actually bring up a great point. When I was doing underground stuff in Okinawa I fought a lot of unothodox (street-fighters, or freestyle) guys. They are some of the most dangerous fighters out there. I never lost to one though, and after years of fighting I found out why... they usually know what TO do, but they usually don't know what "NOT" to do... and that gets them in trouble w/ a guy has been formally trained. Chins? A freestyle guy will have a better chin than damn near any formal fighter you know... end of discussion. And rightfully so... the worst guy you wanna fight is the guy who got his ass kicked DAILY in grade school. They develop a chin like you wouldn't believe. It makes sense though, like guys who have ridden dirtbikes since they were 5 "learn" how to fall. They walk away from high-speed shit where inexperienced guys die from @ low-speeds. In a perfect world, if you take a freestyle fighter, and teach him what NOT to do (they already know what TO do), then you'd have some1 who's pretty potent.

YELLOW POWER !!! The Golden Child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hondatwin23
    i always wanted to train in some form of martial arts. but back in the days it was enough training fighting off people trying to rob and punk you.

i would say im a 3rd degree new york black belt now
    hahaha 3rd degree ny black belt .. lolz
    das wassup son ..
    NY STAY HIGH !!!

i took tkd for a year and " not to be cocky " i lit up this black belt kid when i was white ..
    honestly i was never into taking martial arts but i was open in trying different styles ..
    my friends back in ny takes muay thai / jeet kwon do / hapkido / brazilian ju jitsu ..
    they used to teach me different stuff and used to do backyard stuff alot ..
    but i never attended any classess or anything just learned some things here and there from my friends ..
    i plan on taking some brazilian ju jitsu and muay thai after i save some money ..
    NY STAY HIGH !!!

i think tkd is a waste as far as real fighting goes. same thing happened to me. but anyone
    know of a good for ju jitsu classes?

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost
    i think tkd is a waste as far as real fighting goes. same thing happened to me. but anyone
    Please elaborate why u think TKD is a wasted discipline. Also what do you mean by "real" fighting?

Well I can tell you this about TKD I took it for a very short time, but my step father starting teaching me at a young age, It has helped me with discipline, as well as confidence. And also has taught me how to fight....to defend myself. It has come in handy a few times.

In my opinon its not a waste of time at all!
    grand prix.....

Quote Originally Posted by babygurl
    Well I can tell you this about TKD I took it for a very short time, but my step father starting teaching me at a young age, It has helped me with discipline, as well as confidence. And also has taught me how to fight....to defend myself. It has come in handy a few times.

In my opinon its not a waste of time at all!
    My thoughts exactly... I never took TKD... but it is not to be slept on. TO wantboost if you are into competeing, or 1/2 speed I can set up a meet w/ some1 that may change your mind... he is only a 1st degree and only knows TKD (not mixed). And if you take him down then you and me can spar a bit (not tryna be a hott head, just a friendly meet for sharing). LMK

My thoughts exactly... I never took TKD... but it is not to be slept on. TO wantboost if you are into competeing, or 1/2 speed I can set up a meet w/ some1 that may change your mind... he is only a 1st degree and only knows TKD (not mixed). And if you take him down then you and me can spar a bit (not tryna be a hott head, just a friendly meet for sharing). LMK
    ^you guys train together?
    www.fairtax.org
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    True. But where's my sig?!! (lol)

No. I have not trained w/ any1 in GA, and I have not competed in over 2 years... no underground stuff in 3 years. I keep myself sharp though I assure you. I would not mind linking up w/ some peeps though to work some kinks out. 1st degree JKD... 11 years into the discipine.

oh trust me ive seen what tkd can do first hand but i was speaking in general. as babygurl said it teaches discipline, as well as confidence and it is good for that. i dont think the blocking techniques are that effective. maybe its just because ive seen too many so-called black belts get the shit beat out of them. just to clairify (sp) there are good fighters in every discipline just dont seem to be as many in tkd as others

also i think its like the ford/chevy argument. i personally did not have a good experience with tkd (wasnt quite what i was looking for). but i have met some guys that use it really well. so whatever works for you.

I think that explains it better than you did before. Good job.

lol yea it was a little late at night for me to be posting.

TKD is not a waste at all ..
    it teaches you to be calm and desciplined and it also applys for any other style ..
    your just another kid who uses the martial art as a bad way ..
    -2347364742389174987498734987389749173826334 for you ..
    NY STAY HIGH !!!

oh trust me ive seen what tkd can do first hand but i was speaking in general. as babygurl said it teaches discipline, as well as confidence and it is good for that. i dont think the blocking techniques are that effective. maybe its just because ive seen too many so-called black belts get the shit beat out of them. just to clairify (sp) there are good fighters in every discipline just dont seem to be as many in tkd as others
    same here i have seen some black belts get fucked up ..
    but dont sleep on people who use the method correctly ..
    NY STAY HIGH !!!

also i think its like the ford/chevy argument. i personally did not have a good experience with tkd (wasnt quite what i was looking for). but i have met some guys that use it really well. so whatever works for you.
    seems better now ..
    NY STAY HIGH !!!

lol yea it was a little late at night for me to be posting.
    B.S.

lolz .. just fucking witcha ..
    NY STAY HIGH !!!

it would be really nice to find some peeps to train with...although I am not experienced as others, but it would be funny to see me to try and do a jump kick HAHAHA...fall right on my ass LOL
    grand prix.....

I'm game for training w/ any1. LMK

if only i had a car ..
    i would train with you people ..
    NY STAY HIGH !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast