View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Islam?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Christian, i do not support Islam.

1 16.67%
  • I am a Christian, i do support Islam.

2 33.33%
  • I am a non-believer and do not support Islam.

1 16.67%
  • I am a non-believer and support Islam.

0 0%
  • I am a Muslim or am considering becoming one.

0 0%
  • I am not sure how i feel about Islam.

0 0%
  • I have a very negative opinion of Islam.

3 50.00%
  • I have a very positive opinion of Islam.

2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scripture a day (Islam Edition)

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Default Scripture a day (Islam Edition)

Starting this thread to begin a debate on the actual scripture contained in the Quran. For starters, i'll give a brief introduction....

" The Quran (English pronunciation: /kɔrˈɑːn/[n 1] kor-ahn , Arabic: القرآن‎ al-qurʼān, IPA: [qurˈʔaːn],[n 2] literally meaning "the recitation," also romanised Qurʼanor Koran) is the central religious text of Islam, which Muslims believe to be a revelation from God (Arabic: الله‎, Allah).[1] It is widely regarded as the finest piece of literature in the Arabic language.[2][3][4][5] Muslims consider the Quran to be the only book that has been protected by God from distortion or corruption.[6] "

Going to set a few rules for this thread in hopes of keeping it on track.

(1)This is not a vs christianity thread. I understand that these two religions cross paths and that christianity will most likely be referenced in this discussion. Lets limit those comparisons to likeness in text and not real world events or past and present politics. We have discussed christianity in great lengths on this forum and threads for such discussions remain in tact if you want to participate. Said simply, try not to change the subject or turn this into a comparison of any other religion.

(2) Try to limit posts to a single scripture or group of like scriptures a day. Dont post a list of 50 scriptures at one time. If you have something to say on the subject and want to issue the entirety of your thoughts in a single post, that is fine. I only ask that you limit your referencing to scriptures so that each scripture can receive attention and be investigated thoroughly.

(3) This may come as a surprise to you all, i'm game for a "fight" but I'd like this thread not to become that. Facts are facts and some of them may become unkind, but make an effort to keep the conversation civil and on topic.

(4) Every scripture posted must reference the actual location of it in the quran. Everything we post will be an english translation, obviously, but for the sake of being able to cross reference any scripture posted, make sure to label it's location.

Also attached to this thread is a private poll.
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 09-06-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Surah 8:12

I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

actual text -

Other translation from Sahih international

[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

You will find many references to decapitation or beheading in the Quran. I'm sure anyone who follows the news is familiar with the common practice of decapitation by Islamic extremist. Is this a misunderstanding? or just the literal interpretation of Islam?

There is absolutely zero point of this thread

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Then run along. You seemed rather engaged when christianity was the topic. Try not to make your biases so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Then run along. You seemed rather engaged when christianity was the topic. Try not to make your biases so obvious.
    Bigotry was the topic. And it still is. This thread reeks of it. Surprised it hasn't been locked or deleted.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Bigotry was the topic. And it still is. This thread reeks of it. Surprised it hasn't been locked or deleted.
    are you high or something today? you're acting unusually stupid.

Surah 8:12

I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

actual text -

Other translation from Sahih international

[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

You will find many references to decapitation or beheading in the Quran. I'm sure anyone who follows the news is familiar with the common practice of decapitation by Islamic extremist. Is this a misunderstanding? or just the literal interpretation of Islam?
    Doesn't "Surah Al-Anfal" concern the spoils of war? Back when it was written, wasn't it normal to kill your enemies if you captured them, and they were not believers? Am I missing something - I'm not seeing what is controversial when you take it in context of the whole Surah.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Doesn't "Surah Al-Anfal" concern the spoils of war? Back when it was written, wasn't it normal to kill your enemies if you captured them, and they were not believers? Am I missing something - I'm not seeing what is controversial when you take it in context of the whole Surah.
    That is correct. How would you define the perimeters of war through the eyes of a religion? how does a religion declare war? Who is the army in this setting and what justifies any war between them?

Is the war against non-believers? That is how i interpret it and i would assume it is the same way that islamic extremist do as well. The decapitations have not been limited to soldiers of war, just "non-believers". Even in a battle setting, does it not seem odd to endorse beheading and disfigurement? What message does this send?

That is correct. How would you define the perimeters of war through the eyes of a religion? how does a religion declare war? Who is the army in this setting and what justifies any war between them?

Is the war against non-believers? That is how i interpret it and i would assume it is the same way that islamic extremist do as well. The decapitations have not been limited to soldiers of war, just "non-believers". Even in a battle setting, does it not seem odd to endorse beheading and disfigurement? What message does this send?
    If you take it in the context in which it was written, the world was very different and much "smaller". At that point in time, there was little distinction between what constituted a citizen or a soldier. It was considered "normal" for a group conquering another to kill/execute the male citizens back in those times, in that part of the world - and that was not limited to the Muslim/Jewish conflicts. All of Europe, and most of Asia also had these violent tendencies in their cultures as well. The decapitations/executions and severing of limbs was not unusual at that point in history.

When you say that religion is declaring war, it shows that you do not understand the history of the book or the region of which you discuss.
    There were two groups - those that followed Mohammed, and believed in his words, and those that did not. Those that did not were "non-believers" obviously, and did not try to live peacefully with Mohammed's followers, so of course, they were the enemy. The actual writings were not made until around 150 years after the death of Mohammed, from what I have read. Up until that time, they were passed down orally from generation to generation.

If you take it in the context in which it was written, the world was very different and much "smaller". At that point in time, there was little distinction between what constituted a citizen or a soldier. It was considered "normal" for a group conquering another to kill/execute the male citizens back in those times, in that part of the world - and that was not limited to the Muslim/Jewish conflicts. All of Europe, and most of Asia also had these violent tendencies in their cultures as well. The decapitations/executions and severing of limbs was not unusual at that point in history.

When you say that religion is declaring war, it shows that you do not understand the history of the book or the region of which you discuss.
    There were two groups - those that followed Mohammed, and believed in his words, and those that did not. Those that did not were "non-believers" obviously, and did not try to live peacefully with Mohammed's followers, so of course, they were the enemy. The actual writings were not made until around 150 years after the death of Mohammed, from what I have read. Up until that time, they were passed down orally from generation to generation.
    Saying it was normal for the time doesnt make it right and isnt a suitable defense. Comparing it to the crimes of other religions is not a defense either. I agree that this type of behavior is far too common in the entire religious spectrum, but for the sake of this particular debate, i am asking for answers in defense of Islam specifically.

Does beheading still happen today? Does disfigurement still happen today?

If a US soldier beheaded and disfigured an enemy combatant, what would happen to them?

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Although I know there will be loads of arguing in the way some things are interpreted, I like this thread idea and think it can be beneficial to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    Although I know there will be loads of arguing in the way some things are interpreted, I like this thread idea and think it can be beneficial to everyone.
    But he's not using it to inform. He's using it to smear. He's not exposing anything new to anyone. He just wants to justify being a racist and a bigot.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I don't see a choice for I am christian and open minded....

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    I don't see a choice for I am christian and open minded....
    Welcome to how to rationalize bigotry 101.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Saying it was normal for the time doesnt make it right and isnt a suitable defense. Comparing it to the crimes of other religions is not a defense either. I agree that this type of behavior is far too common in the entire religious spectrum, but for the sake of this particular debate, i am asking for answers in defense of Islam specifically.

Does beheading still happen today? Does disfigurement still happen today?

If a US soldier beheaded and disfigured an enemy combatant, what would happen to them?
    Do you realize that American law does not apply to non-Americans on foreign shores and that we did not have World Court prior to the Twentieth Century?
    You cannot apply modern law and morals to ancient times.

I would like to know how sinfix has first hand knowledge or experience with Islam to wanna discuss it outside his internet and google search.

I would like to know how sinfix has first hand knowledge or experience with Islam to wanna discuss it outside his internet and google search.
    Same as anyone else. Same as you and your religious beliefs. Everything is second hand information, unless i missed the part where you were sitting at the last supper with jesus? You base your beliefs on a book that has been translated into a language you understand, you sit in a church and have someone preach to you. What first hand knowledge do you have?

You're being a serious douche lately, you're always an arrogant prick, but this level of douchebaggery is a new development. You're like a kid in a candy store on "make fun of christianity day", but here you are bombarding a thread that is trying to have a subjective debate about islam. You're probably the biggest hypocrite ive ever seen in my entire life.

Do you realize that American law does not apply to non-Americans on foreign shores and that we did not have World Court prior to the Twentieth Century?
    You cannot apply modern law and morals to ancient times.
    I cant say i agree with that. Also, the reason we're even having this debate to begin with is because the customs of ancient times are still happening today. You still see people get beheaded daily. To me that would be the same as seeing someone get crucified. I dont believe any of these actions were ever acceptable. The fact that religious texts deemed these actions acceptable at any point in time should cast a dark cloud over all religion. You're claiming that these were war time rules but how often throughout history is religion the cause of war.

Moving on from this particular scripture after this.

So you acknowledge that muslims endorsed the beheading and disfigurement of enemy combatants at some point in history and that in modern day time some portion of muslims still practice this belief of beheading and disfiguring enemies? Consider that a rhetorical question, because there's no way to deny it. What i'm looking for is justification for this belief.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

I cant say i agree with that. Also, the reason we're even having this debate to begin with is because the customs of ancient times are still happening today. You still see people get beheaded daily. To me that would be the same as seeing someone get crucified. I dont believe any of these actions were ever acceptable. The fact that religious texts deemed these actions acceptable at any point in time should cast a dark cloud over all religion. You're claiming that these were war time rules but how often throughout history is religion the cause of war.

So you acknowledge that muslims endorsed the beheading and disfigurement of enemy combatants at some point in history and that in modern day time some portion of muslims still practice this belief of beheading and disfiguring enemies? Consider that a rhetorical question, because there's no way to deny it. What i'm looking for is justification for this belief.
    Here's the problem, you speak as though Islam ad a whole really does still behead people. Show me where daily this is still the norm. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying you're still putting radicals at the head of the show.

Should we follow any religious book written in original form word for word? No, even the Bible has violence. People that do are called extremists.

Same as anyone else. Same as you and your religious beliefs. Everything is second hand information, unless i missed the part where you were sitting at the last supper with jesus? You base your beliefs on a book that has been translated into a language you understand, you sit in a church and have someone preach to you. What first hand knowledge do you have?
    I live by the good book I read and worship the god I know. You don't read and worship Islam you may read it in parts and those are the ones you think depict them all as butchers or extremist. Typical radical racist move to just judge a book by its cover to think all Islam is bad or wrong. Remove that white hood of hate and come from the hidden be more open to others and live life how it was intended.

How is lethal injection, hanging, firing squad, or the electric chair any more civilized than beheading? The end result is the same - a quick death for those that have committed crimes that call for capital punishment. Are you against all capital crime, or just the ones that you don't like? As for treatment of war prisoners, do you believe that we did not torture Muslims at Gitmo, or the other black sites in Europe? Do you think that US operatives have never cut off fingers to extract information? If you think that the US doesn't torture, I have some seaside property to sell you in Montana.

Religion is not the cause for war. Men using religion in their quest for power and land is the cause of war. Just like a gun cannot shoot someone without a person picking it up and pulling the trigger, a book cannot do anything until someone uses it's writings.

There is no need for justification of belief - we are discussing historical facts, and you keep confusing yourself by trying to apply your current modern beliefs with ancient times.

Since you do not seem to realize this basic concept, you should move onto the next scripture.

Why are 3 people questioning Sinfix's commitment to partiality? This thread is supposedly free of racism and bigotry and logical fallacies.......right?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

There is no Jesus and god.....we all started as micro organisms and have evolved and adapted to life upon this rock floating through the cosmos. Our biological energy will be the only thing to move on. Organized religion was created to keep the masses in check so that the ones deemed "leaders" could rule and do as they please.

Thread is pointless.
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

I live by the good book I read and worship the god I know. You don't read and worship Islam you may read it in parts and those are the ones you think depict them all as butchers or extremist. Typical radical racist move to just judge a book by its cover to think all Islam is bad or wrong. Remove that white hood of hate and come from the hidden be more open to others and live life how it was intended.
    I dont worship any god, because no god exists. My interest in religions is an interest in how it has managed to control men since the beginning of time as we know it. Religion is a curiosity to me. Everything you know about the god you chose to worship was delivered to you 2nd hand. Whether it be your translation of the bible or what your preacher tells you, it isnt all that different from my google searching or reading.

What i find interesting about this topic is how many people have turned away from a subjective argument and are just directly making personal attacks. And you're doing it to stop hate and show me how live should be lived. Oh the unbridled hypocrisy of the religious.

Why are 3 people questioning Sinfix's commitment to partiality? This thread is supposedly free of racism and bigotry and logical fallacies.......right?
    Why are you still here? You hang on my every word like you're a sad puppy dog and i have a pocket full of beggin strips. If you dont like what i have to say, then remove yourself from hanging off my nuts. This topic obviously does not suit your fancy. Run along.
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 09-07-2013 at 02:53 PM.

How is lethal injection, hanging, firing squad, or the electric chair any more civilized than beheading? The end result is the same - a quick death for those that have committed crimes that call for capital punishment. Are you against all capital crime, or just the ones that you don't like? As for treatment of war prisoners, do you believe that we did not torture Muslims at Gitmo, or the other black sites in Europe? Do you think that US operatives have never cut off fingers to extract information? If you think that the US doesn't torture, I have some seaside property to sell you in Montana.

Religion is not the cause for war. Men using religion in their quest for power and land is the cause of war. Just like a gun cannot shoot someone without a person picking it up and pulling the trigger, a book cannot do anything until someone uses it's writings.

There is no need for justification of belief - we are discussing historical facts, and you keep confusing yourself by trying to apply your current modern beliefs with ancient times.

Since you do not seem to realize this basic concept, you should move onto the next scripture.
    How does pointing out evil excuse other evil? You're saying basically "these people did something evil, so that justifies the evil acts endorses by Islam". You get no argument from me that there's plenty of other evil in the world. Lethal injection is designed to be humane and painless. Beheading, as it is described in the Quran specifically says it is an exhibition meant to strike fear into other enemies.

Why do you need to attach insult into your opinion that i am confusing my current beliefs with ancient times? I cant fathom it ever being normal for someone to cut someone's head off. I dont care what the time period was. I find it even more difficult to comprehend a religion endorsing this behavior, no matter what the time period was.
    Is me feeling this way really worthy of criticism? The fact that i cant rationalize religious beheading? Does that make me a bad person? I guess so.

So when a Muslim films himself sawing off the head of an innocent civilian for the sole purpose of mailing it to america, is that not them striking fear into their enemies the same as the Quran described?

Final comment on this scripture. My next post will introduce a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by D3UC3S View Post
    There is no Jesus and god.....we all started as micro organisms and have evolved and adapted to life upon this rock floating through the cosmos. Our biological energy will be the only thing to move on. Organized religion was created to keep the masses in check so that the ones deemed "leaders" could rule and do as they please.

Thread is pointless.
    I agree, but we can still investigate this mystery of humanity being controlled by religions.

Chapter 2 verse 22,23,24

22 [He] who made for you the earth a bed [spread out] and the sky a ceiling and sent down from the sky, rain and brought forth thereby fruits as provision for you. So do not attribute to Allah equals while you know [that there is nothing similar to Him].
    23 And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful.
    24 But if you do not - and you will never be able to - then fear the Fire, whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers.

These verses are translated to english by sahih international. I think it's fair to say that these are not exaggerated or altered in any way, they are honest translations worthy of discussion. I'm going to continue using the sahih international translations moving forward.

One trend you will find in the Quran is that a large portion of the book, estimated probably at least half of it is directed at how to deal with nonbelievers. The Quran really drives home the point that they share disdain for nonbelievers. Lets dig into this next scripture...

Why are you still here? You hang on my every word like you're a sad puppy dog and i have a pocket full of beggin strips. If you dont like what i have to say, then remove yourself from hanging off my nuts. This topic obviously does not suit your fancy. Run along.
    No one's hanging from your nuts. You're not that special. Get over yourself.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

No one's hanging from your nuts. You're not that special. Get over yourself.
    I feel pretty special. You apparently have no control over the level of attention you give me and i clearly have the ability to keep your feathers ruffled. Perhaps you have met your match. My advice to you would be to exit stage left.

You two should just have sex and get it over with.
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

You two should just have sex and get it over with.
    No, Echo.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

How does pointing out evil excuse other evil? You're saying basically "these people did something evil, so that justifies the evil acts endorses by Islam". You get no argument from me that there's plenty of other evil in the world. Lethal injection is designed to be humane and painless. Beheading, as it is described in the Quran specifically says it is an exhibition meant to strike fear into other enemies.

Why do you need to attach insult into your opinion that i am confusing my current beliefs with ancient times? I cant fathom it ever being normal for someone to cut someone's head off. I dont care what the time period was. I find it even more difficult to comprehend a religion endorsing this behavior, no matter what the time period was.
    Is me feeling this way really worthy of criticism? The fact that i cant rationalize religious beheading? Does that make me a bad person? I guess so.

So when a Muslim films himself sawing off the head of an innocent civilian for the sole purpose of mailing it to america, is that not them striking fear into their enemies the same as the Quran described?

Final comment on this scripture. My next post will introduce a new one.
    I did not make the statement that you attempted to attribute to me.

Since you are unable to comprehend historical events - based upon your own statements, then you are unable to continue a rational discussion on this topic.
    Perhaps you never wanted a rational discussion.

Echo is married, he won't have sex with you.

Hehehe. You know I love you both. You make me feel better about my marriage. We don't fight near as much as you two.
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

I did not make the statement that you attempted to attribute to me.

Since you are unable to comprehend historical events - based upon your own statements, then you are unable to continue a rational discussion on this topic.
    Perhaps you never wanted a rational discussion.
    Why is it so hard for you to address the information alone? you're railroading this discussion to be about me. I am posting actual scripture and offering my thoughts on it. I offer my thoughts to be critiqued. That is a rational discussion.

So would your explanation of why the radical extremist exist is because they too are not capable of comprehending historical events and are acting out the literal interpretation of what they read in the Quran?

Wrap up your argument on the 1st scripture so we can move on to the next one please.

Echo is married, he won't have sex with you.

Hehehe. You know I love you both. You make me feel better about my marriage. We don't fight near as much as you two.
    Blank and i would be good friends IRL. Opposites attract. Even though blank imagines me as a natural light drinking redneck sitting on the tail gate of my pickup truck with all my white friends talking about how much we hate Obama..... actually, nearly all of my friends are just like blank. I only have one friend who is the typical "redneck". Most of my friends are opinionated liberal jackasses just like blank and we still get along like peas and carrots.

Blank loves to argue, he just hates to lose arguments.

Why is it so hard for you to address the information alone? you're railroading this discussion to be about me. I am posting actual scripture and offering my thoughts on it. I offer my thoughts to be critiqued. That is a rational discussion.

So would your explanation of why the radical extremist exist is because they too are not capable of comprehending historical events and are acting out the literal interpretation of what they read in the Quran?

Wrap up your argument on the 1st scripture so we can move on to the next one please.
    Your opinion on the first scripture does not take into account history, and you cannot correctly apply your modern day thinking to life 1500 years ago. You are fully entitled to have your own opinion, and you do not have to agree with history and reality, and that appears to be the route that you have chosen to take.

In response to your current question: Yes, radical extremists, by definition, go to the outer fringes in their beliefs, and the majority of Muslims are not radical extremists. EVERY set of beliefs (religious and non-religious) has people that are on the extreme fringes.

Your opinion on the first scripture does not take into account history, and you cannot correctly apply your modern day thinking to life 1500 years ago. You are fully entitled to have your own opinion, and you do not have to agree with history and reality, and that appears to be the route that you have chosen to take.

In response to your current question: Yes, radical extremists, by definition, go to the outer fringes in their beliefs, and the majority of Muslims are not radical extremists. EVERY set of beliefs (religious and non-religious) has people that are on the extreme fringes.
    Sounds like your "reality" is a place where you can make up the rules as you go. Why cant i apply modern thinking to history? Sounds like you're guilty of confusing your own opinions with facts.

How can you say that the extremist are going to the outer fringes of their beliefs? they are the ones following the letter of the law. Beheading and disfigurement is not the "outer fringe", it's Islam. It's part of the religion. It's part of the book.

The natural evolution of things is that with time we have evolved and become more intelligent. With our new found intelligence, we are more civilized. The culmination of that is that most intelligent people learn to put aside religion all together, but to those few who are clinging to it, you cant just rewrite the book and erase the parts of you dont like. I'm aware that 100% of muslims are not evil people and that a portion of them, like christians, follow the moral code laid out and ignore the "fire and brimstone". Islam the religion itself is one of the greatest evils plaguing mankind today. That doesnt mean that every muslim who has fallen victim to it is evil.

Also, who are you to say that the values of islam have changed since acient history?? You say beheading, disfigurement and all of these other war tactics are acient history.....

correct me if im wrong.... isnt there a civil war taking place right now? it is 2013 right?

22 [He] who made for you the earth a bed [spread out] and the sky a ceiling and sent down from the sky, rain and brought forth thereby fruits as provision for you. So do not attribute to Allah equals while you know [that there is nothing similar to Him].
    23 And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful.
    24 But if you do not - and you will never be able to - then fear the Fire, whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers.

What message is being sent when it says that stones are prepared for disbelievers? It basically says, if your god is real, then your god will protect you from being stoned. I also like how this scripture reeks of arrogance. The Quran is full of gamesmanship and has a very condescending way of talking about other religions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast