Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The GA Valorem Tax can suck it !!!

Default The GA Valorem Tax can suck it !!!

So I just moved here a few months back....I finally had some time to get my Ga license and register my 2 vehicles in GA. I go down to the DDS and take care of the license....smooth and easy. I then go over to the Tax office to register my vehicle.

They proceed to tell me about the Valorem tax that has gone into effect on March 1. They state that I will not have to pay taxes on these two vehicles again as long as I own them...HOWEVER....to register my vehicle today they would like.....

$3,498 ....WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am stuck as I cannot get my CT license back.......great news !

Islander

Yea it blows...... your situation I would just opt out and just pay the ad valorem each year until you sell them.....
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

That's a lot of money, what kind of vehicles are you registering?

I paid $140 for my tags and ad valorem

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

From everything I have read and been told by the DDS there is no ability to OPT out. If you have something that says different please send it over....I wish I could !!!!

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S and a 2011 Corvette....

Quote Originally Posted by Potter View Post
    That's a lot of money, what kind of vehicles are you registering?
    Probably some newer more expensive cars. He would have paid that much if he bought them from a dealer. They're just trying to get sales tax from used cars.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by MOWE View Post
    From everything I have read and been told by the DDS there is no ability to OPT out. If you have something that says different please send it over....I wish I could !!!!

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S and a 2011 Corvette....
    If you bought it between 1/1/12 and 2/28/13 you can opt in if you want, if you buy it after 3/1/13, you're in, if you bought it before 1/1/12, you're out until they phase the system out

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Probably some newer more expensive cars. He would have paid that much if he bought them from a dealer. They're just trying to get sales tax from used cars.

yeah but I paid 6.5% sales tax when I bought the vehicles...I also paid taxes for every year I have owned them in my home state..

If I sold these any of these vehicles over the next 3 years I would screwed myself...I would need to own both for 5 years to recoop this initial cost...it really is a horrible system

If you bought it between 1/1/12 and 2/28/13 you can opt in if you want, if you buy it after 3/1/13, you're in, if you bought it before 1/1/12, you're out until they phase the system out
    I read that but from what I read it only applies if you bought the vehicles in GA...I did not.

yeah but I paid 6.5% sales tax when I bought the vehicles...I also paid taxes for every year I have owned them in my home state..

If I sold these any of these vehicles over the next 3 years I would screwed myself...I would need to own both for 5 years to recoop this initial cost...it really is a horrible system
    Im pretty sure you dont have to opt in. The lady here in Woodstock asked if I wanted to but told me it was cheaper in my case to opt in. I signed a doc saying I wanted to opt in, paid 140, got my sticker and skidaddled. Bought my car brand new may. Birthday is tomorrow.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I read that but from what I read it only applies if you bought the vehicles in GA...I did not.
    Ahhh, this changes things I think. I'm not sure in your case.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

From what Im seeing, if you bought it out of state between 1/1/12 and now, and/or this is the first time your out of state car, you're stuck paying the taxes on it as if it were new in this state. However, one clerk was telling someone else they had a year to pay it all.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

My GT500 I opted to transfer the state taxes over so I do no have to pay ad valorem ever again on it. With my FJ Cruiser I paid ad valorem because I was told since I bought it out of state I could not transfer over the taxes. Even though I paid GA taxes on it when I purchased it in NY. Well I get my new sticker in the mail and with it is a piece of paper saying I can opt out of ad valorem if I purchased the car in 2012(Also no ad valorem refunds if you had already paid). I get on the phone and call the tag office.

They are currently looking into how I can get a refund for my FJ Cruiser ad valorem and are unsure how to deal with the issue. They said others also have this problem(Paid for GA state taxes while purchasing the vehicles in another state). They told me to call back in a couple weeks.

2013 GT500
    1989 Mustang 5.0

So I wonder what would happen if someone were to pay the "lifetime" tax and move out of state soon after. Any refund? If they move back, does the state honor the initial tax paymant and not require it to re-register?

So glad I'm still on the birthday system.
    02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    So glad I'm still on the birthday system.
    Screw that. I already paid sales taxes why would I want to pay ad valorem on top of it. Now I don't have too.

2013 GT500
    1989 Mustang 5.0

they didnt think through all the issues with this system....

At least I can write it off at the end of the year....

and no if you sell the car you do not get ANY money back....its a done deal !

TY GA !!!!!!

they didnt think through all the issues with this system....

At least I can write it off at the end of the year....

and no if you sell the car you do not get ANY money back....its a done deal !

TY GA !!!!!!
    Ya but its not like you are paying sales tax on a new car and then paying the one time fee on top of it. You don't get any sales tax back after you sell a car either. I'm saving over $1000 just this year alone. Each year after is just icing on the cake. I think its a great program

2013 GT500
    1989 Mustang 5.0

I agree with that going forward...so If I buy a new car now...then I just pay that and no sales tax....and my tax for cars is complete !

That part is good...

But this intial BUY in to the program really sucks...and especially for newbies who move her now....its a HUGE expense up front.

Wow thats some bullshit. There has to be a difference vetween buying out of state and transfering a car you already own from out of state. Id make another visit and try to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by CSquared View Post
    Wow thats some bullshit. There has to be a difference vetween buying out of state and transfering a car you already own from out of state. Id make another visit and try to clarify.
    Brother there isnt....Spoke with 4 people on the phone...2 people in the office..and escalated to 2 supervisors...

unless they are all dumb...which in all honesty could be...lol...it is what it is

^ I'm a dealer and all this new shit has everything in a shit storm. It is not going to work out like the state had planned.

They should have just kept the system the same...and just charged sales tax on private sales...that's it. That's all they wanted anyways.
    1994 Nissan Skyline BNR32- Currently being built for 1000+awhp (the works)

2003 Subaru Wrx (jdm sti ext.conv)- 6.0 LSx , T56, Fast 92 TB,IM,MS4 cam,+++

1995 Nissan S14.5- Sr20det, built motor, full race 3071r turbo kit, z32 tranny+++

1997 Honda Civic Ek Hatch- In process: K24/20 BC stroker, custom turbo kit, tubbed +++

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Yeah, even though our government is currently operating on 3x the 2nd highest budget in the history of humanity, what they need is more tax revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Yeah, even though our government is currently operating on 3x the 2nd highest budget in the history of humanity, what they need is more tax revenue.
    First it's Obama never passed a budget, now it's the highest budget in the history of humanity. Which is it? I can't keep up with the conservative mind juggle anymore. Lol. More and more I'm thinking macroeconomics classes should be mandatory to pass high school.

This discussion has nothing to do with the federal government at all BTW.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

Think I'd be inclined to drive without a tag, lol.
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Naber View Post
    ^ I'm a dealer and all this new shit has everything in a shit storm. It is not going to work out like the state had planned.

They should have just kept the system the same...and just charged sales tax on private sales...that's it. That's all they wanted anyways.
    Sales tax on used cars would have never passed in a million years. They had to give a little to get that.

What they should've given in on is the ass backwards emission laws in this state.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    I would hate getting pulled over every day and accruing so many tickets.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I wonder how expensive the ticket is for driving without a current tag. I've got to imagine a shit ton less then $3k.

$150 a pop plus points on your license.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Red dealer tag ftw
    1994 Nissan Skyline BNR32- Currently being built for 1000+awhp (the works)

2003 Subaru Wrx (jdm sti ext.conv)- 6.0 LSx , T56, Fast 92 TB,IM,MS4 cam,+++

1995 Nissan S14.5- Sr20det, built motor, full race 3071r turbo kit, z32 tranny+++

1997 Honda Civic Ek Hatch- In process: K24/20 BC stroker, custom turbo kit, tubbed +++

First it's Obama never passed a budget, now it's the highest budget in the history of humanity. Which is it? I can't keep up with the conservative mind juggle anymore. Lol. More and more I'm thinking macroeconomics classes should be mandatory to pass high school.

Macroeconomics was required at South Cobb High School to graduate back in 2003.... One of the worse schools in metro Atlanta... Don't think the requirement would help anything lol.

I would hate getting pulled over every day and accruing so many tickets.

I can usually ride around for 30 days before getting pulled over for no tag. Then I can usually talk my way out of it due to where I work, lol. I'm either continuing to drive POS cars/trucks or riding with no tag. I'm not paying over $150 to get my tag.

If you didnt recently buy the cars, you shouldn't have to pay anything right? If you own the car and just need to register it here why should you have to pay a tax for nothing?

Just found this. What a rip off.

The New Title Ad Valorem Tax

Starting March 1, it will cost more to register and title a vehicle in Georgia. The annual ad valorem tax, paid on a person’s birthday, will remain for people who owned their cars before 2012. But for everyone else, a new law will mean changes to the way vehicles are taxed. For some, it will mean big savings. For others, it will be a big expense.

Under the new law, the fee for all vehicles titled between March 1 and the end of 2013 will be 6.5 percent of the worth of the vehicle. The figure will rise to 6.75 percent for 2014, and 7 percent in 2015. It eventually could climb as high as 9 percent of the vehicle’s worth.
    Those who bought cars between Jan. 1, 2012, and Feb. 28, 2013, will have the option to pay the ad valorem tax for the life of their car, or to opt into the new title tax. The opt-in period lasts from March 1 until the end of 2013. Those who opt in will not get refunded for any ad valorem they already paid, but will get credit for paying sales tax if the car was not purchased in a private sale.
    The old ad valorem tax system will continue to exist for vehicles titled in 2011 or earlier.
    People who lease cars will continue to pay sales tax and the dealership will pay the title ad valorem tax. Dealerships could include the cost of that tax in their fees.
    People who move into Georgia with a car after March 1 will have to pay the new tax on any vehicles entering into the state when they register their cars in Georgia. New out-of-state residents will have to pay half the fee up front, and will have a year to pay the rest.
    Vehicles passed between immediate family members — spouses, parents, children, siblings, grandparents or grandchildren — will pay a reduced fee of 0.5 percent of the car’s worth to title the vehicle, provided the full one-time title ad valorem tax already has been paid.
    People who were exempt from paying the annual car tax, such as disabled veterans, are exempt from the new tax.
    Vehicles that are older than 1985, and are not required to have titles, are only affected if the owner decides to get a title after March 1.
    Vehicles that aren’t titled, such as boats and trailers, aren’t affected by the new law.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

thanx for correcting me....... a budget would imply there was some limit on spending.

Islander

Sadly, your comment will be kind of prophetic. There are probably going to be a lot of vehicles driving around with expired or no tags and no insurance this year.....

Well...looks like i will be buying '85 and older. Fuck a title and the greedy GA gov't.
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

Quote Originally Posted by ISAtlanta300 View Post
    Sadly, your comment will be kind of prophetic. There are probably going to be a lot of vehicles driving around with expired or no tags and no insurance this year.....
    Why? Older cars can stay on the old program. Newer cars for the most part do not even have to buy into it since you paid sales tax on it. The only effect will be when buying a used car and having to pay this new fee.

2013 GT500
    1989 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by D3UC3S View Post
    Well...looks like i will be buying '85 and older. Fuck a title and the greedy GA gov't.
    Funny story. Those sorry sons of bitches wanted something like $130 to renew the registration on my '72 Mercedes. I drove around with no tag for a few months (keep in mind, I drove it like 4 times over about 6 months), went to the tag office, asked for the tag from my Galant to be transferred to the Mercedes and it was only like $18 (not sure on the exact number since I did 2 vehicles at once)

Islander

Quote Originally Posted by SHHHH View Post
    Newer cars for the most part do not even have to buy into it since you paid sales tax on it.
    Unless you bought from third party, ... private seller. You get hit with a couple thousand dollar bill depending on the car value. Also, everyone moving in from out of state gets hit with thousands of dollars bill. It will be a lot of money out of pocket for a good amount of people. Even with me opting in, I had to pay close to $300 while my ad valorem was usually around $260 (and I paid sales tax when I bought my car). Extra $40 for me, and I have a used car....

So my gf just bought a used car from a dealership and paid sales tax. That means she's exempt from all this right?
    -2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
    -2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V *boosted* (parting out)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast