Thread: Looking to get a new digital camera...need some suggestions

Default Looking to get a new digital camera...need some suggestions

Well its time to get rid of the POS 2.1 megapixel Sony that is the size of a brick

Anyway, im not a profesional photographer by any means, but I do want something that will take nice pictures. Size is also a big criteria, that is the one thing i hated about the Sony it was annoying to carry around. I am looking to spend around $300-350 (is that a good price range?) and would like somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 megapixels. I like the look of the the Canon Powershot Series (specifically the SD450 for my price range: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OY1pBWS...0&I=280PSSD450 ), but I am not sure how it performs compared to the competition. I really dont like how stuff is layed out on the Sony (unless they changed it from when i got it, its a Cybershot series IIRC).

Anyway i figure there are some electronic gurus here so is that Canon a good deal? If not, could you reccomend some others to look at.

TIA
    -Jordan

Ill positive rep anyone who offers a good reccomendation or good advice

I bought this DSC-H1 (Sony) 2 months ago, and this is the best camera I've ever put my hands on. easy to use, great pics, and a 2.1" LCD screen is nice to look at

It really depends what you want to do with the camera homey. I have no complaints about it.. they run about $600, but if you look around you can get it cheaper... check www.techbargains.com

Lol...i want something small, easy to carry around. Something I can fit in my pocket. I just want a relatively nice camera. Im not a profesional photographer, just something that takes clean pictures.

I have the Nikon 7600colorpix... Awesome Camera
    Val For President
    R.I.P. Our Dear Leisa..

ASAP N.E. Chapter VP

No more supra
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

NIKON Squad member| NikonD40

Hey Thinkfast, do you have any pictures that you have taken with that camera that you can put up here?

yea man, they are on my laptop... I'll post some when I get home

Islander

Canon SD400 or above...
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

"She massages Shit" Mike Lowrey's Avatar

Canon A620
    Rich...Bob...Stan...?????

Wanna-be-OG

All info and prices I came up with can be found here

http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...=6&image1.y=13

I've dealt with that company for everything electronic over the years besides computer stuff. Highly recommend them as they carry discontinued items all the time at extremely low prices and newer items at almost 20-30% off regular store prices.

Canon Powershot Sd30
    $349.95

5 megapixel
    17 shooting modes
    1.8" lcd screen
    Cell-phone sized
    Better camera than previous 2 Canons mentioned (according to Canon)

Canon Powershot A620
    $344.99

7.1megapixels
    20 shooting modes
    2" multi angle lcd screeen
    Bigger camera

Canon SD500
    $336.99

7.1megapixel
    2" lcd
    Shooting modes (not known)

All the Nikon Cameras I recommend are out of you price range. The higher coolpix cameras can take just as good of shots as some Digital SLR cameras but just lack the capability of adding other lenses.

Link to Nikon camera's (higher quality models)

http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...pc=&prod_type=

That's about it. Nikon and Canon are my favorites, with Canon being the best. Good luck on the purchase.

Wanna-be-OG

Canon Sd550 for sale in College Park......$300 brand new in box (they say)

Might be stolen considering its in the Flea Market but who cares?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/118341055.html

Haha same camera, same ad, $5 cheaper. I'd lowball this guy $30 and get a good deal. Obviously he needs to get rid of it because its hot!
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/118186309.html
    Last edited by Bballjamal; 12-15-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Lol...nice find...

I actually just picked up a Canon SD450 (the 5 megapixel one). Circuit city had it for $350 w/ a free 256mb memory card, so it was an okay deal. Its actually a holiday gift so i cant use it yet, but i messed around with it at the store and it was a nice camera.

Bballjamal i gave you +1 for the help, as well as a few others in this thread

wheres my points sucka LOL

Wanna-be-OG

Hells yes, da dark square turns green!

A.K.A. GA Teg

The Sony DSC H-1 is a wanna be D-SLR. It can take good pics but lacks the manual controls and interchangable lenses of the D-SLR's. That camera is also $499 at Walmart for a heads up.

Any of the Canon powershot series will be a good "upgrade" from what you are at now and will produce some very nice results as well. If you looking for a camera for genral use and to take some nice pictures then I recommend any of the Powershot series. I started out with a Canon Powershot A60 and had some good results with it.

As for the Nikon's, they are known for their glass. The lower end Nikon's glass is not up to par with the higher end P&S camera such as the Nikon 8700 or 8800 but those cameras are also over $650 each. The one Karen (Ren) has is a decent camera and can produce usable pics as you can see in her thread for Swurvin's b-day party (once she learned how to use it ).

What you really need to ask yourself is do you want a camera that has some Manual control or do you want just a typical point and shoot with scene modes? Do you want a good amount of zoom? If the answer is yes then you want to find a camera with higher optical zoom and shy away from the digital zoom. Optical zoom will give you clearer, sharper pics compared to digital zoom. These two questions will give you a general idea of the camera you want. Also don't be afraid to pick up a 4mp with a higher optical zoom as it will still give you about the same quality pics as a 5mp.
    "A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
    www.ATLphoto.net Myspace