Thread: Thinking about moving to other side of the country.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Default Thinking about moving to other side of the country.

I've been tired of living in Georgia for a pretty good while now. I had been seriously planning to move back to Florida since i have as many friends there as i do in Georgia. I had even started working out the details of my job transferring me to Ocala and was already looking forward to getting season tickets for the Gators National championship run next season. I backed out and decided to broaden my horizons and think beyond the "safe" choices. I'm seeking a fresh start somewhere, to completely wipe the slate clean and start over. New everything in a place ive never been. Since i had my mind set on Florida, i decided to look at the polar opposite of it.... California. Well, after a closer look at California, it doesnt seem like a place i want to live. California seems like a great place to visit but not to stay. So, starting from California and working my way out, i looked at Oregon.

Eugene Oregon is 50 miles from the beach, 10 miles from a major lake, is a major college town and is reasonable driving distance to California, Vegas and Canada. Eugene's biggest industry is recreational vehicles and wood manufacturing. Unemployment is below the national average and the population is 91% white, 2.5% black. A quick search found me several options for housing. I love fishing and hunting, Oregon seems to be a prime spot for that. Also, i can catch fish i actually like to eat.... would certainly be nice to just go catch a 30lb salmon vs paying $12 lb for it at the market.

Also..... in Oregon it's legal to have 24oz of weed and 24 plants. That's 4 times the amount allowed by any other state..... not that i'm concerned with such things

Anyone else have good or bad experiences from uprooting themselves and moving somewhere far away from their normal? Any personal experiences living in Oregon or California.... Feel free to share.

Oregon seems nice. I've been wanting to do the same but my choice is Colorado. It offers snow during the winter months so my kids can experience that and my medical skills would really be put to the test out there being rough terrain and wildlife accidents.

Honestly, my very first choice would be Florida; specifically Pensacola. Love the beach and that's where we go on vacation couple times a year.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Oregon is a beautiful state. If you like the outdoors it is one of the best places in the country. You may also want to look a little further north to Washington St. Beautiful country up there, but more industry for the labor market.

Sounds like a great place to meet your white neighbors

what's the weather like as far as storms n such?

and do they have emissions ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Leave it to E36Slide to turn a thready gay.....like everything he touches.
    I like telling everyone I know that we are extremely personal friends.
    And I still have your cell phone number from that one time we traded wheels.
    And I'll sell it to them for $5.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Oregon is a beautiful state. If you like the outdoors it is one of the best places in the country. You may also want to look a little further north to Washington St. Beautiful country up there, but more industry for the labor market.
    I saw Bend Oregon was a top 25 location for hunting and fishing.... that's a big attraction for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ssonsk View Post
    Sounds like a great place to meet your white neighbors

what's the weather like as far as storms n such?

and do they have emissions ?
    #teamwhite

The metro areas have emissions, dont think it's statewide though.

Oregon also looks like it has some sweet motorcycle roads.

:O

can I be your roomate

#bunkbeds
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Leave it to E36Slide to turn a thready gay.....like everything he touches.
    I like telling everyone I know that we are extremely personal friends.
    And I still have your cell phone number from that one time we traded wheels.
    And I'll sell it to them for $5.

Oregon is a gorgeous place, the only thing I would wonder is what state income and local property taxes are like, it's been invaded by Californians fleeing their own insanity and they seemed to have brought higher taxes with them.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    Oregon is a gorgeous place, the only thing I would wonder is what state income and local property taxes are like, it's been invaded by Californians fleeing their own insanity and they seemed to have brought higher taxes with them.
    I'm gonna keep digging. I've got about 6 months at least before i could uproot. I looking at everything in the pacific northwest.

Between Oregon and Washington one of them doesn't have a state sales tax or at least they didn't a couple of years ago. Spokane, Boise, Missoula, Bozeman, they're all nice places but, at least in Montana, you get paid in sunsets when it comes to jobs.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Certified Gearhead

Between Oregon and Washington one of them doesn't have a state sales tax or at least they didn't a couple of years ago. Spokane, Boise, Missoula, Bozeman, they're all nice places but, at least in Montana, you get paid in sunsets when it comes to jobs.
    Washington does not have sales tax.
    Ya I agree, I've also been to Spokane, Boise, Missoula, Bozeman, and they are beautiful.
    Been snowboarding on Mt Hood in Oregon, above the timber line is pretty damn cool, and been snowboarding on Mt Rainer in Washington, just more beautiful country.
    I've been to 40 of the 50 states and absolutely love the Pacific NW
    UNDER PRESSURE (AKA SuperGhettoTunerRacingTeam)
    "Yeah, you?"
    Silverado (Daily)
    Four Winns (Water)

Pretty sure Oregon doesnt have sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Subleg4 View Post
    Washington does not have sales tax.
    Ya I agree, I've also been to Spokane, Boise, Missoula, Bozeman, and they are beautiful.
    Been snowboarding on Mt Hood in Oregon, above the timber line is pretty damn cool, and been snowboarding on Mt Rainer in Washington, just more beautiful country.
    I've been to 40 of the 50 states and absolutely love the Pacific NW
    You have any pictures of those trips? i always enjoy personal pictures over what i see on websites.

Certified Gearhead

Top of Mt Rainier in Washington

Top of Mt Hood in Oregon
    UNDER PRESSURE (AKA SuperGhettoTunerRacingTeam)
    "Yeah, you?"
    Silverado (Daily)
    Four Winns (Water)

Meh.

If you love nature, you can't really beat anywhere in the Pacific NW. Personally I hate nature and prefer to be smack in the middle of big cities (I actually breathe and sleep better in Manhattan than I do here). Just be sure to avoid Portland and Seattle or the hipsters might try and have their way with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorcher View Post
    If you love nature, you can't really beat anywhere in the Pacific NW. Personally I hate nature and prefer to be smack in the middle of big cities (I actually breathe and sleep better in Manhattan than I do here). Just be sure to avoid Portland and Seattle or the hipsters might try and have their way with you.
    I want to be near more nature. I dont want to live inside Portland, but am expecting to be close to it. Is Portland really that bad? I'm probably gonna fly out to portland for my vacation and then travel around to some other potential destinations from there.

Hm, I'm like you, only I've considered more the midwest e.g Texas, Arkansas and Colorado.

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

I used to be a fairly consistent hater of anything Canadian, but seriously check out Toronto. It's awesome there. Lots to do, a stones throw away from anything outdoors and a pretty cool buzzing city. At least visit it before writing it off... if you can get a cheap ticket to buffalo, NY, it's under an hour drive to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
    Hm, I'm like you, only I've considered more the midwest e.g Texas, Arkansas and Colorado.
    Texas. That's where all the Terminators and Vette's are,

And those long straight roads...mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Pretty sure Oregon doesnt have sales tax.

You are correct.

Oregon has no sales tax.
    Washington has no income tax. Washington DOES have sales tax.
    2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5 -1.8L Turbo