Thread: skyline legal

Default skyline legal

i need some info on importing skylines for future purposes. read an article that the R34 and R32 can no longer be imported to the US due to vcp-17 and i think vcp-32, cant really remember, and everything based of what Motorex came up with in their series of tests. can anyone shead some light on this and can clarify on why these 2 particular models of skylines cant be imported?

Senior Member | IA Veteran

A google search would have produced a books worth of information on this topic.

Public Enemy #1

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    A google search would have produced a books worth of information on this topic.
    A books worth? Wtf kind of book would that be. After 50,000 pages...you would have an internet worth of information...lol.

You can also buy ones that are already over here. There aren't many but they are over here.
    You know better; next time will be a ban.

AFA HOLLYWOOD PREMIER LEAGUE EST. 1998

Peewee

lol 1 is illegally registered under another vin. one even says its not registered to be driven on the road. 3rd doesnt say anything. are you blind?

Quote Originally Posted by LowAP2 View Post
    lol 1 is illegally registered under another vin. one even says its not registered to be driven on the road. 3rd doesnt say anything. are you blind?
    I just went to CL and typed in "Skyline" and I just posted the website. Didnt bother to read about the cars, that was his job to do.

AFA HOLLYWOOD PREMIER LEAGUE EST. 1998

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

From my understanding, even that "legal VIN" one isn't technically "legal."

It's state legal, yes, but not federal. It's my understanding the feds could technically still come take the car if they wanted. I may be wrong though.

i like the 'books worth' part the most!

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    From my understanding, even that "legal VIN" one isn't technically "legal."

It's state legal, yes, but not federal. It's my understanding the feds could technically still come take the car if they wanted. I may be wrong though.
    absolutely correct. You have to import the car through canada basically to get it federally legal.

Quote Originally Posted by imprtdriver4 View Post
    i need some info on importing skylines for future purposes. read an article that the R34 and R32 can no longer be imported to the US due to vcp-17 and i think vcp-32, cant really remember, and everything based of what Motorex came up with in their series of tests. can anyone shead some light on this and can clarify on why these 2 particular models of skylines cant be imported?
    Motorex only did crash testing on the R33 and falsified the information and said they did testing on the R32 and the R34 too, and they got busted for it. I think motorex ruined it for everyone pretty much, but you can import the R33 and the motorex info for the modifications to make it street legal are public now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Leave it to E36Slide to turn a thready gay.....like everything he touches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    I like telling everyone I know that we are extremely personal friends.
    And I still have your cell phone number from that one time we traded wheels.
    And I'll sell it to them for $5.

Public Enemy #1

Or you go locate a Motorex R34 that was grandfathered in...but they go for $150,000. lol

IA Member

Once the car is 25 years old its easy as shit to import so if u want a 99 r34 wait til 2024 and import you one other wise its more or less just not possible i could explain the legal obligations options and alternatives but the sight might crash from the size of the post lol, so either buy one thats already here usually around 60k u can get r33s around 25k and r32s between 15 and 20k or just wait a few more years and import one once it is considered a collectible

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member | IA Veteran Kyle's Avatar

Everyone has something different to say on this topic, seriously, I've heard 30 different things from 30 different people all claiming to be experts on the subject. I wanted an R32 and R33 for a while, but it just seemed too complicated so I gave up on it.

My advice is don't buy a car the owner claims is federally legal without thorough thorough documentation as chances are it's not. Below is what little I remember as rules of thumb.
    Motorex Cars: Federally legal/State legal, very expensive
    All Other Cars: 99% federally illegal (some state illegal some state legal). Own the car at risk of federal confiscation/impoundment. (this risk is pretty much moot, but its still possible so think about it)
    ***Lotus Elise***

BlackWatchRacing
    /Sector111/Larini Exhausts/Difflow Diffusers/Classic Livery of Atlanta Paint/APR Performance

Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    I may not be as book savey as the next guy but i posses a vast knowledge based street smarts.

Only 95-98 skyline gts and gtr models are legal and only the ones that are already here. Motorex applied crash test data from the r33 to the r32/34 models represented as like similarities when in fact they are entirely different. When a Nissan rep caught wind of it the federal authorities were notified and Motorex was shut down.

The info can be found with a simple search.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    Bitches love bacon.

I believe vteckidd posted a thread a while back explaining the ins and outs of it from practical experience.

I've heard of people getting the cars chopped in half and sent over here. Then getting a salvaged title or some shit like that lol.
    You know better; next time will be a ban.