Thread: Anyone know the legal ruling on this?

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Default Anyone know the legal ruling on this?

I have residency in both Alabama and Georgia, the other day i got a ticket and the cop told me it was illegal to live in Georgia and have registration or license from Alabama. I've been living in georgia for about 6 years, but since i own a property in alabama, i never changed my registration or license. Technically.... i own property in Alabama and have my own personal mailing address there. Is there anything illegal about that?

If a celebrity or whatever owns houses in 5-6 different states or travels a lot, what is the legal ruling on where he would register?

I don't see why it would be illegal. Obviously if you own property in Alabama, it should be legal to register your car there since that would make you a resident, even if you don't live there 24/7.
    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
    - John F. Kennedy

If it's anything like how taxes work, it depends on how many days per year you spend there.

TheMyth

I have a co-worker that is a Florida resident but lives/works here. His tags are from Florida and he has to vote in Florida. Nothing illegal that I know of.

Islander

Quote Originally Posted by Berta View Post
    I have a co-worker that is a Florida resident but lives/works here. His tags are from Florida and he has to vote in Florida. Nothing illegal that I know of.
    That's a different scenario and happens

In the case above its where you technically live or reside x amount of days out of a year. The law doesn't give a shit if you owned property on the moon. If you don't live there you can't claim you reside there. The cop probably gave you a ticket when he asked you "is this your correct address".

The law gives you 30 or 60 days to change your license and registration from when you moved here. It's right there on the DMV website.
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

Yeah pretty sure you must register and have license changed to the state and residence you stay at. If you sleep in Georgia and pay Georgia state taxes for property you own then that is your resident state. Hell I almost got a damn ticket just for living with family in Gwinnett county but had my stuff registered in Barrow county.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ISAtlanta300 View Post
    That's a different scenario and happens

In the case above its where you technically live or reside x amount of days out of a year. The law doesn't give a shit if you owned property on the moon. If you don't live there you can't claim you reside there. The cop probably gave you a ticket when he asked you "is this your correct address".

The law gives you 30 or 60 days to change your license and registration from when you moved here. It's right there on the DMV website.
    How would you legally determine how many days i stayed at one place or the other though?

Islander

Where the fuck do you sleep? lol.

Seriously though. It's not that hard to establish where you live. If all your IMPORTANT mail like credit card bills, utilities, insurance etc. goes to your address in Georgia, and you have all your shit there, then you reside in Georgia.

Owning property in a state does not necessarily make you a resident of that state.
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

As far as i understand, your address for registration purposes is where your vehicle is kept... Yours are obviously not kept in Alabama. And if you spend more than a certain number of days per year in Ga you are legally supposed to get your license switched over. That being said, I doubt anyone would go out of there way to sustain that against you.

IIRC, once you have an established place of residency in a certain state, you have 60 days to change everything. If you go from one county to another, you have 30 days.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    How would you legally determine how many days i stayed at one place or the other though?
    Honor system, tax records, etc.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I register all my vehicles in White county so i dont have to do emissions....if a cop asks "is this still your current address" i just say yes. Simple.
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc