Thread: Thinking about my first handgun - Need Info

Default Thinking about my first handgun - Need Info

As with most things I get into, I've done a TON of research already. I think I've decided that I want to start with a Ruger P95 (specifically P95PR15) as I've heard it's a really reliable gun that isn't particular about what kind of ammo you put through it (and it's decently priced). I shot my uncles P95 (or P89... can't remember) a few months back and it felt nice enough, but I probably don't have enough range time to form my own opinion yet. My general plan is to move it in between my DD and home as a general protection measure. The only time I'll probably carry on my person is when I'm out with the supra... and I also quite enjoy the gun range. I plan on filling out the paperwork for my concealed carry permit within the next few days.

These are the biggest questions I have...

Where is the best place to buy and get a good deal on a gun? Locally? Online? (I'm in Gwinnett)

Is it worth looking at used guns for my first?

They don't make the decocker only (no safety) models anymore... But would you recommend that over a model with safety/decocker? I'd probably feel more secure carrying it around with a safety, but I've read a lot of folks who prefer without.

Any other gun you would recommend? ($350 MAX)

Any other general comments or suggestions also welcome.

Everyone is going to suggest different handguns, as they all have different preferences. Some like a Heavy gun, others like a lighter one, etc etc.

I suggest getting the gun locally, at a place called David's Gun room, off of Buford Highway.

http://www.davidsgunroom.com

Coworker buys all his guns there, and he says they have a SHITLOAD, and they rent them out as well.

He suggests a Beretta pt92, as there's not a lot of guns that can beat a Beretta in terms of reliability.

But as i said earlier, you may want to test them out before you buy them.

First and foremost are the two most important safeties: knowing where your gun is at all times and whether your finger is on that trigger or not. I personally carry a Glock 29 and love it. Remember to pick a caliber that fits the size of the gun so you can maintain the recoil. If you are possibly looking for a new Glock, I can pick you one up cheaper than most people can get them. A .380 is a good defense round. Those firearms are generally compact. 40cal has excellent power. Also remember that placement is the key. Go to the range often and use the rounds you plan to use for defense.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Glock 19 and call it a day!

^^Videographer/Photographer at^^

price range on guns mentioned?

TheOutdoorsTrader.com

BNIB Glock 23 compact 40 cal for $423 out the door.

Bitches love bacon.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Cant go wrong with a glock, go to your local gun store and pick the one that "feels right". My hands are different than your hands.

I've shot a glock in the past. I wish I remember which model it was. I'm not a bid dude by any means and I was having trouble keeping the top of my hand away from the slide.

IA.COM Founder.

I have owned several Guns.. And sold them all and kept my Glock 17.. Only other gun I would own is a Xd 40.. Love my glock.

Davids Gun room is one of the worst gun shops ive been to.. Bulls eye in lawrenceville has good selection, just watch the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    I have owned several Guns.. And sold them all and kept my Glock 17.. Only other gun I would own is a Xd 40.. Love my glock.

Davids Gun room is one of the worst gun shops ive been to.. Bulls eye in lawrenceville has good selection, just watch the prices.
    Yeah I've shot at the shop in Lawrenceville before. A friend of mine warned me that they're way overpriced.

again i'm just going off of references as i'm only 20. I can research the guns, and have some knowledge, but buying, not so much xD

What caliber are you considering?

Bitches love bacon.

I have a Glock 17 as well. Its an awesome gun. The guys at Bulls Eye will recommend it also. I spoke to them few weeks ago as my friend is also looking to buy his first. If I remember correctly they were around 450 - 550 at Bulls Eye.

2013 Corsa Blue Optima SX 2.0T

Just filed the paperwotrk and got finger printed. Whoot.

theoutdoorstrader.com as mentioned above is a great place to find a handgun.

As far as which one I suggest you go to a local range and or find some friends that have pistols and shoot each round (9mm, .40, .45, etc) and see which one you personally like and then make a choice from that.

Good luck!
    -2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
    -2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V *boosted* (parting out)

Welcome to shoot my 10mm if you want to try it.

Bitches love bacon.

Wrong side of the city but I am always looking for a reason to shoot. I have a G 23(.40) and an LCP (.380) you are welcome to shoot.

i appreciate all the offers. We should arrange an IA gun range outing. Might be fun, and god help the person who messes with any one of our cars. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAMERIZKING View Post
    i appreciate all the offers. We should arrange an IA gun range outing. Might be fun, and god help the person who messes with any one of our cars. Ha.
    I would be very picky about half the jerk offs here on IA but I am down for something.

Bitches love bacon.

I might be old fashion, but i suggest if you have a never owned a handgun to look at picking up a 22 auto or revolver. There are many advantages of 22 as far as plinking, cheap to shoot, and overall workinging on your fundementals. A perfect example is my Sig P220. Its originally chambered in 45, but i have the conversion to 22 on it. With the conversion, i can work on trigger control and sighting and it as made me better at shooting the 45. Many guns are capable of being convert to 22, Glocks as well if i am not mistaken. Any how, just my 2 cents.

btw Armslist.com is a pretty good place to find guns locally.....just watch out for over priced guns.

Or you can buy what you plan to carry in the first place and learn to control it by going to the range.

My two cents.

Bitches love bacon.