Thread: Legal advice on veterinarian issue.

Default Legal advice on veterinarian issue.

I will try to make this short and simple. My dog recently broke his leg and I took him to the vet. Doc said it will be simple procedure involving surgery and outside pins/braces to hold his bones in place. paid $1900 and procedure went well. Told me i would be able to take him home after two day stay. Called me and said they wanted to keep him longer. Well over the weekend, a worker who goes walks and feed the animals failed to notify someone, that his pins some how came out and was loosing alot of blood. Got a call this morning from the hospital saying he was near death and now his leg will have to be amputated and costing another $500. She says the leg can be saved but for $2-3grand more. I dont want to fcuking amputate his leg if it can be saved. And why should i pay for something when it was under their care. Hes not just some dog i keep in the yard chained up, hes a part of the family. How should i go about this? Ive been told to talk to a lawyer. I am not trying to get money and shit, I just want to save his leg and shouldnt pay for it!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

First things first, id get your dog cared for and not let the cost effect your decision unless it absolutely has to. You may be able to get your money back one way or another, but the decision to remove your dog's leg could effect you for years of your life. After your dog is cared for, im pretty sure that you can seek a malpractice claim the same way you would if it were a human. Best of luck to you, i care about my dog more than i do most people and i would be furious in that situation, so i feel your pain.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    First things first, id get your dog cared for and not let the cost effect your decision unless it absolutely has to. You may be able to get your money back one way or another, but the decision to remove your dog's leg could effect you for years of your life. After your dog is cared for, im pretty sure that you can seek a malpractice claim the same way you would if it were a human. Best of luck to you, i care about my dog more than i do most people and i would be furious in that situation, so i feel your pain.
    And to add to this and why I think this may be your best answer is the fact that first things first, you need to get that dog's leg taken care of. That dog's leg probably doesn't have time for you to decide on whether or not you have a case or any other decision about how to proceed.

That leg needs attention now. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!