Thread: Supplemental Insurance

Default Supplemental Insurance

So me and my family have came up with a decision to get health insurance. The whole doctor, dental, and etc. I was thinking maybe getting Aflac for the family, but thats because I see the commercials on tv. Do you guys know another good health insurance? I want to get more info that way I can get different quotes and compare. Thanks for your help. Also, we are self employed, just in case you guys say "Doesnt your job offer you insurance."

AFA HOLLYWOOD PREMIER LEAGUE EST. 1998

I would suggest not choosing an insurance provider based on whether or not they have tv commercials. You can compare rates and plans on ehealthinsurance.com. Also search for reviews on different providers. Some may offer better rates but youll have to fight tooth and nail for every claim. Good luck.

Obama will take care of it all. You don't even have to work anymore - he'll take care of all of your bills.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Obama will take care of it all. You don't even have to work anymore - he'll take care of all of your bills.
    Of course he will, thanks for your sarcasm

Talk to Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA. Aflac is an add-on to regular insurance.
    You can research dental through http://www.nadp.org/index.aspx

Cool, let's turn every thread into a political debate!

Talk to Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA. Aflac is an add-on to regular insurance.
    You can research dental through http://www.nadp.org/index.aspx
    I got a quote of $346.46 from blue shield for myself, younger brother, and mother.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Cool, let's turn every thread into a political debate!
    It's the truth! He claims that he is fixing it all, so why get private healthcare?
    http://obamacarefacts.com/

Emergency Medical Tech

How old are you? Do you get sick often ? How abt your family? Do you live near kaiser?

So far kaiser perm offers the cheapest insurance as far as my benefits goes. $35 deductible per visit but the catch is you have to go to their office for check up.

As far as BCBS goes if you're young , get the high deductible instead of PPO. You pay more with PPO per month but if you dont get sick often, opt with highdeductible and save the money.

Get insurance! Apparently you have to be insured in America if you're a working class citizen. It sucks when you need it and have to pay thousnads of dollars out of pocket without health insurance. Heck some doctor doesn't even wanna treat you if you dont have one...

You don't know how STRONG you are until being strong is the only
    CHOICE you have!

'Born Ready!',LJ

Privateer Racing!!

You guys should blame your congress for writing such a stupid bill and Blame Obama for signing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ruah_23 View Post
    How old are you? Do you get sick often ? How abt your family? Do you live near kaiser?

So far kaiser perm offers the cheapest insurance as far as my benefits goes. $35 deductible per visit but the catch is you have to go to their office for check up.

As far as BCBS goes if you're young , get the high deductible instead of PPO. You pay more with PPO per month but if you dont get sick often, opt with highdeductible and save the money.

Get insurance! Apparently you have to be insured in America if you're a working class citizen. It sucks when you need it and have to pay thousnads of dollars out of pocket without health insurance. Heck some doctor doesn't even wanna treat you if you dont have one...
    Thank you, I will look into them because grady is a bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by B18c1Turboed View Post
    You guys should blame your congress for writing such a stupid bill and Blame Obama for signing it.
    Here we go again pointing fingers

I pay $540 a month for me, wife, child. It blows a dingdong but we made the decision lately to get a new plan that doesn't offer maternity (nothing out there does anyways now a days) so hopefully soon ill be paying around $300-350

Just because you don't work for a large company shouldn't mean you get screwed. I should be able to form my own fucking large group and have a mass signup or something.

I guess if we decide to have a 2nd child we'll have to take out a home equity loan lol.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

Privateer Racing!!

Thats about right Matt. My wife works for a very large insurance company and we still pay 350 a month. Not including what they pay already. Just one of those things when you have it you dont need it. When you dont have it you will need it. I havent been to the doctor in so many years i couldnt even tell you the last time i went,

check zanderins.com They are very reasonable and find the best rates. I got life through them and found them very easy to work with.

Oh Shit! You was right, my respects to you

I hate Kaiser because they require you to use their offices and hospitals only. My hospital of choice is Atlanta Medical Center which is not a Kaiser facility. I refuse to go to any Piedmont shithole; all of which are Kaiser facilities.

As mentioned above, look into BCBS, Cigna (which is what I have), Aetna, and a few others. Aflac is not health insurance. It is only a supplement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

IA Member

Hey, I'm an insurance agent for State Farm, and while ya don't usually think about State Farm for Health insurance, I still have to have a license for it. So I know a few things.

First of all: you're self-employed, so you want coverage for yourself, your wife, and of course any kids. Are you looking strictly for Health, or also Disability? I'll stick to Health for now, we'll talk Disability quickly in a minute (for this discussion, it's the same thing as "Supplemental Insurance").

The type of policy you want is, of course, based on what you want covered. I'll assume you want as much covered as possible. There are a few options for you:

I. Major Medical Insurance Policy. This covers your family from medical expenses in two ways:
    1) $/day in hospital, and if there is anything they didn't cover in that, after a deductible (that you pay),
    2) a co-insurance for ANY expense. (the insurance company pays 80%, you pay 20% for example)

II. A Managed Health Care option
    1) HMO
    a) can only go to doctors "in-network" so if you have a doc that you like, make sure he's in that network before you sign the contract
    b) utilizes co-payments instead of co-insurance (instead of paying 20% of whatever, you'd pay a set $ figure)
    c) All treatments must be authorized by the HMO before it can begin (except for emergencies of course)
    2) PPO
    a) Can have a co-payment
    b) Broader choice of docs
    c) May use docs outside of "network," insurance company will just pay less of the cost
    3) High Deductible Health Plans and Health Savings Account
    a) To Lower premiums, these have huge deductibles (the minimum changes each year, but I've heard some as low as $1,200)
    b) Also had a maximum out-of pocket cost per year (includes deductibles and co-pays)
    c) Health Savings Accounts are part of these, it's an account that you can put in a specific $ figure each year ($ ammount changes each year) but helps you save for
    any nessiccary expenses

Does this help?

As far as providers go, The guys above have named some good options.

Supplemental Insurance:
    This is more like a Disability policy, something that pays cash when you get hurt (disabled) can can't work. This helps you pay bills, the $ amount that you get is decided upon by you and the agent you work with.

IA Member

I don't want this to sound like an advertisement but I'm and Independent Health Insurance broker here in Georgia and have been doing it for years. Just reading through this thread shows me that there are a TON of misconceptions about health insurance.

First if you want to look at quotes check out ehealthinsurance.com or just send me an email. It's [email protected]

I saw someone say earlier, get a high deductible plan and to stay away from the PPO. Just FYI, PPO has nothing to do with the deductible. A PPO just means you can pick your own doctor without a referral unlike an HMO which limits you to a certain number of doctors.

Another thing you should know is that health insurance prices are regulated at the state level. This means that when you're shopping for a plan nobody can get you a different rate than anyone else for the same plan. This really helps the consumer.

Stay away from Discount plans or limited benefit plans. You ONLY want a Major Medical 'real' health insurance plan from a company like CIGNA, Aetna, Humana One, United Healthcare, or Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Watch out for agents pushing companies like Assurant, Freedom Life, US Benefits, etc. These are limited benefit plans.

Also, health insurance through an employer is NOT ALWAYS a good deal. Most people don't realize that there is no "Group Rate" when it comes to insurance. In fact, a group will pay much higher premiums because there is a higher concentration of unhealthy people historically. You will generally pay 1/2 to 1/3 the cost if you are healthy and go out and find health insurance on your own. This is what I specialize in, helping people get out of a group plan and finding coverage on their own that is cheaper.

Again, feel free to email me at [email protected] if I can help you run some quotes and see what is out there. Or just PM me on here. You can also look me up on facebook at www.facebook.com/TewesInsuranceServices

Banned

I cant really help you as I am in the same boat, was going to start a new thread but didn't think I need to as this is what I am looking for except that I need health insurance that covers people with pre existing conditions. does anyone know where and what the plan is called, thanks