Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xMAS and Christianity???

IA KING

Default xMAS and Christianity???

So there is alot of talk now b/c alot of gov't organizations that do xMAS trees have now changed the names to Holiday Trees, many school have taken xMAS out of theme songs in music class, etc...

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?

-----------------------------------------------

me personally i really don't care i have come accustomed to xMAS themes though i am not a christian... but they are in grained in me b/c we are feed christian values everywhere in this country w/o choice; i think it is a big move for the gov't to seperate what was supposed to be a religious holiday w/ the greediest time of year

Certified Gearhead

I fuckin hate this Holiday bullshit. This is America and guess what it's a CHRISTMAS TREE, not a fuckin Holiday Tree. I am not against it for any religious reason either.

i dont give a shit

It's CHRISTmas...not xMas. Show some respect.

IA KING

^ smartass +20

Being a holiday of pagan origin in the first place it doesnt really matter. Christ never was in it to begin with. The whole argument is stupid. If some misguided souls wish to involve Christ in their "celebration", let em. If they dont, thats fine too.

We've all been lead to believe that it was his birthday. I doubt the accuracy, but that's the argument.

well everyone know's it's not the exact date but it's the thought that counts behind this one. if u were adopted and ur parents didn't know ur real birthday should they just not celebrate ur birth or just pick another day? That's y i feel Christmas should stay. Now metalman... ur kinda right christmas was turned into a pagan holiday so that the "world"(non believers) would still celebrate the birth of Christ. I believe the Catholics did this... i could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    We've all been lead to believe that it was his birthday. I doubt the accuracy, but that's the argument.
    I'd agree..alot of people have been "lead to believe" alot of things...most of which is nonsense. If one who professes belief in the Bible would carefully examine that book they would find that the date isnt given. Nor is any suggestion or even a hint at a celebration of his birth. Those two facts in themselves should tell one something. They will also see that certain historical events took place at that time (taxation during Herods reign etc) and from that historians can tell it was likely in the early fall.

So then, where did the Dec 25 nonsense come from? Short answer- A Roman sunworship festival later adopted by the catholic church (hence the name Christ Mass) and then the "infection" spread to other churches from that.

This being said, there are many good things about the season. Giving, family, etc etc...things we call the "spirit" of the season. No harm in any of that.

good points...

and see people, its is ENTIRELY possible to have a CIVIL convo about religeon (did i even spell that right?)

^^^^ yeah it's possible but if the wrong person reads it it'll start being bashed and that's what get's things started...

metal man good job with those facts... i kinda new the reasonings just never knew the actual facts!

Great point but it's not a fact without a Bibliography.

^ hahaa damn you just brang a flashback from college I would type great essays and Fk the bibliography formats up.

Great to here the ideas in this thread.

Leisa and S. 4 Life NM?

Everyday im HUSTLIN'

Quote Originally Posted by Killer
    well everyone know's it's not the exact date but it's the thought that counts behind this one. if u were adopted and ur parents didn't know ur real birthday should they just not celebrate ur birth or just pick another day? That's y i feel Christmas should stay. Now metalman... ur kinda right christmas was turned into a pagan holiday so that the "world"(non believers) would still celebrate the birth of Christ. I believe the Catholics did this... i could be wrong.
    We'll you make a good point, but Muslims believe he was born in the time frame November to January..not on the 25th..that is the reason we do not celebrate his birthday.

But I know for a fact even if we did, it wouldnt be like Christman is celebrated with a tree and others. Im sure we would have some gift exchanging and so forth..a prayer. But thats all.
    Profile I.T. Services - Infrastructure Builds, Managed Networks, Hardware Sales and Service, Web-Site Design and Development, Fire and Alarm installations. Licensed and insured.

Everyday im HUSTLIN'

So there is alot of talk now b/c alot of gov't organizations that do xMAS trees have now changed the names to Holiday Trees, many school have taken xMAS out of theme songs in music class, etc...

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I think its kinda stupid to do that. This is a pretty much Christian society..Try that shit in the Middle East and your ass will be found in the river floating...lol

But then again this is America..FREEDOM to do pretty much whatever religious wise.
    Profile I.T. Services - Infrastructure Builds, Managed Networks, Hardware Sales and Service, Web-Site Design and Development, Fire and Alarm installations. Licensed and insured.

It has always been my understanding that Dec 25 was not thought to be Jesus birthday. Thís is just the day that we celebrate his birthday. Think of it like being born on Feb 29th of leap year. You would celebrate a day each year but it wouldn't really be the exact birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Malana
    It has always been my understanding that Dec 25 was not thought to be Jesus birthday. Thís is just the day that we celebrate his birthday. Think of it like being born on Feb 29th of leap year. You would celebrate a day each year but it wouldn't really be the exact birthday.
    Your right. Its not his birthday. The problem is, there is no reason to celebrate it. The Bible doesnt command, suggest or even hint at such a celebration.
    The only reason there is such a celebration is because it was a pagan festival that was adopted by the catholic church. For anyone who cares adopting pagan rituals is forbidden in the Bible. Christmas is a catholic invention. If you are a catholic that may understandably matter to you. If a protestant, then it shouldnt have much significance just like many other meaningless made-up catholic rituals.

To me its an enjoyable secular "holiday" for family, friends, and giving.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman
    Your right. Its not his birthday. The problem is, there is no reason to celebrate it. The Bible doesnt command, suggest or even hint at such a celebration.
    The only reason there is such a celebration is because it was a pagan festival that was adopted by the catholic church. For anyone who cares adopting pagan rituals is forbidden in the Bible. Christmas is a catholic invention. If you are a catholic that may understandably matter to you. If a protestant, then it shouldnt have much significance just like many other meaningless made-up catholic rituals.

To me its an enjoyable secular "holiday" for family, friends, and giving.
    That is true that the celebration was timed to coincide with a pagan festival. This was done not only by the Roman church because it was a way to hide what they were doing and not get prematurely martyred but also by the Eastern Orthodox churches. It was eventually adopted by everyone.

I know many protestants who find meaning in Roman Catholic rituals. God's creation could not function and be so well sustained without the infinite diversity that he designed. Just as there are a hundred ways for different types of birds to build their nests, there are a hundred ways for God's people to worship him. Some of us need ritual. Some of us do not.

I'm glad you are able to find some joy in the celebration of Christ's birth even if it is only as a secular holiday. I consider Christmas celebration's which preceed Christmas day to be secular and only celebrate Christmas from Christmas Day to Epiphany. Right now, I am celebrating Advent.

I am curious. Do you know or remember if you were baptised in the name of the father, son and holy ghost? Or were you baptised in Jesus name only?

I don't know about the rest of you but I find it difficult to write about religion with the little smiley faces misbehaving on the right side of the screen. The little red guy and the two busy yellow folks are just disturbing.

Islander

"Celebration" is not the word I would use either. It is to acknowledge His birth and more for remembrance.
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

YOUR MOM GOES TO COLLEGE Curbow_USMC's Avatar

I personally think that this is the stupidest thing ever brought up. a christmas tree is a big part of Christmas it is a tradition. It is stupid to try to go and change the name of something that has been around for years and years. I dont see why thies radical idiots cant just leave well enough alone and and let tradition stay as it has always been.

and that is my
    \/\/ Click pic for more pix of my ride
    [

If you dont beleive in christmas dont celebrate it. Just that simple. Quiting trying to make it into something its not.
    Last edited by 00CIVICSI; 12-05-2005 at 02:00 PM.

YOUR MOM GOES TO COLLEGE Curbow_USMC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 00CIVICSI
    If you dont beleive in christmas dont celebrate it. Just that simple. Quiting trying to make it into something its not.
    i'll second that
    \/\/ Click pic for more pix of my ride
    [

That is true that the celebration was timed to coincide with a pagan festival. This was done not only by the Roman church because it was a way to hide what they were doing and not get prematurely martyred but also by the Eastern Orthodox churches. It was eventually adopted by everyone.

I know many protestants who find meaning in Roman Catholic rituals.
    I think you are slightly misinformed. History is quite clear, the catholic church has through the centuries has been the organization doing the killing and making martyrs. It is true that other churches which are based on the same pagan rituals as catholicism share its festivals. The birthday of Tammuz, the roman saturnalia etc were simply renamed and added to catholcisms long list of nonsensical rituals.

Earlier in this country's history protestants generally abstained from christmas celebrations and regarded them as catholic pagan nonsense. It was with the influx of immigration that these "celebrations" caught on in protestant churches in America.

"Rituals" for christians have been spelled out clearly in the Bible. Adding to them (in a worship sense) is forbidden by the same Book.

Quote Originally Posted by 00CIVICSI
    "Making it into something its not" is the whole basis of christmas.
    Its not the birthday of Christ yet people have attempted to make it into that.
    It would still be called the brthday of Tammuz (or other sun gods in different cutlures) if not "made into" something its not.

As for the public debate over the name...christmas or holiday..its the same difference...although I would continue to call it christmas.

IA KING

peachtree city is having this battle now... they called their tree i think the Grand Tree not the Xmas tree so peeps are crying about it

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    peachtree city is having this battle now... they called their tree i think the Grand Tree not the Xmas tree so peeps are crying about it
    grand?? thats crazy. do these people not have a more pressing issue, perhaps a REAL one to worry about?

Islander

oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

IA KING

^ hey fuck off its Xmas... i don't like to type +20 smartass

I think you are slightly misinformed. History is quite clear, the catholic church has through the centuries has been the organization doing the killing and making martyrs.
    We must be reading different history books. There is no religion or denomination that does not have blood on its hands when it comes to killing in the name of God and the making of martyrs.

Do unto others what you would have them do unto you. What does this mean to you? I would not like for anyone to ever tell me that beliefs and rituals I hold dear are nonsensical and pagan. Since I am a Christian, this is something I do not do.

"Rituals" for christians have been spelled out clearly in the Bible. Adding to them (in a worship sense) is forbidden by the same Book.
    That is your opinion. Have you ever attend a service in a Jewish Temple? How can rituals and traditions be wrong if they were inherited from Judaism?

I respect that a form of devotion devoid of ritual is what works for some.
    I obviously experience ritual in a different way. It facilitates my relationship with God. I do not feel close to God when I attend a protestant church where the service seems to revolve most around entertaining people in an audience. This is not worship to me. It is merely community. To me it is like going out to dinner and only having dessert. Eventually, I have to go get me a nice piece of meat.

I believe that my loving God wants me to worship in whatever way works for me the best.

Everyday im HUSTLIN'

Isnt rituals and tradition the same thing? I think it is.

Religion and tradition are different. you guys get your wording correct and th reply.

Quote Originally Posted by AtifSajid
    Isnt rituals and tradition the same thing? I think it is.

Religion and tradition are different. you guys get your wording correct and th reply.
    I guess its a square is a rectangle kind of thing. I consider rituals and traditions to be different things.

Rituals for me encompass the proscribed order of our religious ceremonies. We open with song, read the old testament, read the new testament, read from the gospel, listen to a sermon, celebrate the eucharist, sing a song and go out. These could be seen as traditions.

It is the priest saying "Peace be with you" and the people of the church responding "And also with you."

Traditions are things outside of the order of service that are customs passed down from generation to generation. The celebration of Christ's birth is a tradition. The observation of Advent and Lent are tradition. The list of books accepted as canonical can be seen as traditions as can belief in the trinity.

We must be reading different history books. There is no religion or denomination that does not have blood on its hands when it comes to killing in the name of God and the making of martyrs..
    To say that NO demoniations are free from 'blood on their hands' is certainly not based in historical fact. It is true that other so called christian churches have engaged in killing but nearly in the extreme sense and for the lengthy history the catholic church has. Multiple millions have been slain at the papacys hands. I realize this isnt politically correct to mention but I care not for PC'ness. Such notions call for history to be rewritten. I prefer the facts even if ugly.

Do unto others what you would have them do unto you. What does this mean to you? I would not like for anyone to ever tell me that beliefs and rituals I hold dear are nonsensical and pagan. Since I am a Christian, this is something I do not do.
    The golden rule is a good one to live by. It means treat others how you wish to be treated. I love catholics. Some of my own family are catholic. I can honestly say there are many honest, God fearing people in that organization...theyre just honestly mistaken or have been mislead by their priests/popes. Telling them the truth is a very kind and loving thing to do. Certainly WAY better then letting them believe lies. For example...praying to Mary for forgivness of sin. Biblically, this is blasphemy. Mary is dead. She cant hear any prayers. She cant forgive anyone. Only God can. I have seen many a catholic rejoice in knowing the teachings of the Bible as opposed to catholic tradition. It was an overwhelming relief to them in many ways.

That is your opinion. Have you ever attend a service in a Jewish Temple? How can rituals and traditions be wrong if they were inherited from Judaism?

I respect that a form of devotion devoid of ritual is what works for some.
    I obviously experience ritual in a different way. It facilitates my relationship with God. I do not feel close to God when I attend a protestant church where the service seems to revolve most around entertaining people in an audience. This is not worship to me. It is merely community. To me it is like going out to dinner and only having dessert. Eventually, I have to go get me a nice piece of meat.

The majority of meaningless nonsensical rituals of the catholic church were not inherited from the jews. I have intently studied catholic theology and that much is clear. In fact, in hardline catholic theology the jew is regarded as deserving death. Obviously, I do not concur.

The jewish religion has its own nonsensical rituals.

Jesus even told the jews that they made his religion of none effect by their traditions. He chided them for substituting the commandments of men for the doctrines of God. For this they killed him.

The "habit" of prayers, meetings etc or other worship wasnt what I was addressing.

The Bible is very clear on the principle of adding/adopting pagan rituals to worship God. The Bible says the things pagans do to worship their gods "He hates" and doing such is an "abomination". The Christian is supposed to have nothing to do with such.

I believe that my loving God wants me to worship in whatever way works for me the best.
    Well you can certainly believe and practice what you wish but I can assuredly tell you without hesitation that the Scripture says otherwise.
    And I mean no disrespect to you at all. Nor am I questioning your sincerity.

The observation of Advent and Lent are tradition.
    Indeed. The tradition of advent has its roots in the pagan tradition of observing the birth of the sungod. (tammuz and others born dec 25)
    The tradition of lent is known in the Bible as "weeping for Tammuz".
    It is not spoken of in the positive sense.
    Both good examples of pagan traditions renamed.

Indeed. The tradition of advent has its roots in the pagan tradition of observing the birth of the sungod. (tammuz and others born dec 25)
    The tradition of lent is known in the Bible as "weeping for Tammuz".
    It is not spoken of in the positive sense.
    Both good examples of pagan traditions renamed.
    Lent is before Easter... Advent is before Christmas...

You imply that renaming a pagan tradition is a bad thing. Remind me why you think this?

Lent is before Easter... Advent is before Christmas...

You imply that renaming a pagan tradition is a bad thing. Remind me why you think this?
    Yes I know when they take place

Using any pagan worship methods or adoption of such customs is forbidden in the Bible for starters. That should be enough for any Christian.
    Its not logical either. God has been plain enough in His Word about worship. Who are we to add to or subtract from it?
    If I walked into the room where you were and shot you a smile and a middle finger would you think that was a good thing? Of course not. It wouldnt matter a bit if me and all my friends "adopted" that as a symbol for "hello, how are you". Its origin is still definitely negative and it still means the same thing it did before. Same with pagan nonsense which God says in His word that he hates. You really think he likes it once we little humans rename it? Not in the least.

"In vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrine the commandments of men"

IA Member

new to forum but well hell hi, and this is my opinion.

I have looked over some of what was said here ... i didn't read it all.

the holiday Christmas is celebratied by christians (beleivers in Christ the son of God). then where did the tree come from ... baby in a manger is all about Christ? The tree i beleive comes more from the "pagan" or celtic days of worship. It is winter solstic or something like can't rember off the top of my head, maybe equanox. and how about the presents?? well also to my understanding they came fomr some some town that infact had a "santa clause" although he is dead now the "spirit" of Christmas lives on. this man gave coal and switches to bad little boys and girls.

Here is problem 1. we live in america where we have the freedom to worship who we choose to, but we were founded and have been run by "prodostent"(sp) or Christian followers. all presidents have followed the path of christianity in some shape or form. we have never had a pagan, hindu, or any other religion represented as a president in this country. laws and moral right are all bias imho. Christians DO NOT like pagans. they are heitherns and are of witchcraft, according to the old testiment.

but really as far as the holiday goes. i don't much care at all... my family gets togeather... and we are just about to the point of not buying gifts anymore. we eat, have a good time catching up on everything and everyone. there are extrem people on all ends of the spectrem. I do not think that it is right to put Christ into every holiday. Easter is another one that is a pagan hoiday. it is the day celebrated for fertility and new growth. it is not for everyone the death and reserection of Jesus.

about the blood on hands deal. i would vote to say that 75% or more of all wars have steemed from some religious movment. and as far as the US goes... we do the same thing... we just call it a democrocy(sp). we as the US have infact inposed on many many religions. native americians to jsut hit the nail on the head from the get go...it is a religious war. always will be. spain killed because of religion a long time ago. well what about religions killing... "Christions"(US government) is stamping out a religion or part of it because they are a warring religion/tribe and appose us. Jews marched on cities and took the over according to the old testiment. it is not just the Roman empire but the Roman Chatholic Empire.

As much stand offish and touchy and sensitive a subject as religion is... peoples views of things will always hurt people that view differently and always will there be arguments. until all are one religion, ie the time of babolon in the bible. and if that time comes again then we will see end of days, also according to the bible. Christians will war because we are "spreading the word of God" to the people and converting the masses. and we do it mytholicaly to the point where we as a country appear to be right.

damn i knew i should have started posting to this... sorry for the rant... sorry to offend. peace and love to all merry meet and blessied be, happy chuinica(sp), and Merry Christmas. and any other peps out there i missed.

Islander

Quote Originally Posted by Wodihor
    new to forum but well hell hi, and this is my opinion.

I have looked over some of what was said here ... i didn't read it all.

the holiday Christmas is celebratied by christians (beleivers in Christ the son of God). then where did the tree come from ... .....

Dunno. Christians did not "invent" the christmas tree though..

baby in a manger is all about Christ?
    Yes. He is believed to have been born in a manger or grotto, after nobody offered lodging.

..... and how about the presents??
    What presents? Christians did not invent the "tradition" for presents under the x mas tree. Some allege that the present represent the presents given to baby Jesus by the three wise men, who bought him Gold and other stuff. Christians believe more in the "spirit" of christmas, which is about remembrance of His birth, Celebration of His birth, and peace to mankind, not about Santa Claus, presents and Macy's.

well also to my understanding they came fomr some some town that infact had a "santa clause" although he is dead now the "spirit" of Christmas lives on. this man gave coal and switches to bad little boys and girls.
    That is but one of the many "theories" of gift giving. Some believe that there actually was a "bishop" named "Nicolas" who was known for his charitable spirit and gift giving. The Dutch celebrare "Saint Nicolas", which may have become "Santa Claus" when the Dutch emigrated to NY. And Saint Nicolas or "Sinterklaas" actually gives gifts on his birthday, December 5th. Again, it has nothing to do with Christmas as Christ's observed birth.

Here is problem 1. we live in america where we have the freedom to worship who we choose to, but we were founded and have been run by "prodostent"(sp) or Christian followers. all presidents have followed the path of christianity in some shape or form. we have never had a pagan, hindu, or any other religion represented as a president in this country. laws and moral right are all bias imho. Christians DO NOT like pagans. they are heitherns and are of witchcraft, according to the old testiment.
    It is not about not liking pagans. It is about taking "Christ"'s observence, and bastardizing it, claiming it your own and then having the audacity to challenge its name. If you are not Christian, then you do not have to celebrate Christmas. Period. Just like Christians will not interfere with Kwanzaa or Hannukah. Call the tree whatever you want, call is Season's Greetings if you wish. But do not take Christmas from the Christians and try to coin it as your own Holiday, and pretend like you invented the "holiday" tree, and the "holiday of pines" or some shit.

I do not think that it is right to put Christ into every holiday
    Nobody is putting Christ into your holidays. It is everybody else who wants the same holidays, but do not want to acknowledge their origin. Somehow, the Christians are always the target of this. "They have off on Good Friday. I want to have off too !! But I am not Christian, so let us call it "Bunny Rabit Friday"

Maybe you should call Yom Kippur "Mid week holiday day off day" or something? No. It IS YOM KIPPUR. It is what it is.

Easter is another one that is a pagan hoiday. it is the day celebrated for fertility and new growth. it is not for everyone the death and reserection of Jesus..
    For Christians is it as much about the resurrections as it is pagan to everyone else. You chose to celebrate fertility and growth with the easter bunny, Christians celebrate it with Christ's resurrection. But IT IS WHAT IT IS. EASTER is about the resurrection of Christ. If you want to call it bunny day and hunt for eggs, so be it.

As much stand offish and touchy and sensitive a subject as religion is... peoples views of things will always hurt people that view differently and always will there be arguments. ..
    Yes indeed. That is the way it unfortunately is. The thing that gets me is that nobody is questioning Hannuhak, No one is turning an eye at Kwanzaa. Christians have been tolerant and have virtually ignored how people chose to celebrate their holiday. But to try and take "Christ" out of Christmas is absurd. Like I said. If you want your own atheist holiday, you are free to do so. Make your own movement or own religion. Tell the government to give you a holiday called "PineTree Snowbirth day". You do not have to celebrate christmas if you don't want to. But don't try to tell christians how to celebrate and call their holiday.

Using any pagan worship methods or adoption of such customs is forbidden in the Bible for starters. That should be enough for any Christian. Its not logical either. God has been plain enough in His Word about worship. Who are we to add to or subtract from it?
    If I walked into the room where you were and shot you a smile and a middle finger would you think that was a good thing? Of course not. It wouldnt matter a bit if me and all my friends "adopted" that as a symbol for "hello, how are you". Its origin is still definitely negative and it still means the same thing it did before. Same with pagan nonsense which God says in His word that he hates. You really think he likes it once we little humans rename it? Not in the least.

"In vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrine the commandments of men"
    I disagree. I think he loves my celebration of Advent, Christmas and Epiphany. I feel blessed when I observe it well. Where in the Bible do you believe there is proof that such custom is forbidden? What is your basis for saying that he doesn't like it?

I believe the Bible endorses this practice. One of the first problems encountered by the early Christians and documented in the New Testament was the resistance of pagans to keeping Kosher, being circumcised and in all other ways following Mosaic Law. Christianity was (and really is) a breakaway sect of Judaism. Early Christians lived as apocalyptic Jews who believed Christ was the Messiah and they were living in the end times. For them, all the previously imposed laws were still in play.

The pagans they met weren't buying it. Following Mosaic Law was just way too much work for them and they certainly didn't want anyone messing with their foreskins.

Paul was divinely inspired to cough up a new marketing plan recorded in the book of Galatians. He taught that the rulebook had been misunderstood and misused by Judaism. To Paul, the law was supposed to be a guide but strict adherence was not the path to heaven. Paul said salvation from sins and the defeat of the powers of sin and death came through Jesus, not the law. Believe in him is all you need. Christ's sacrifice is what gets us to heaven.

So... basically at this point… pagan ways were adopted. Paul said, "S’okay... keep your foreskins just go tell everyone else that Christ died for their sins."

Strict adherences to a rulebook allows the law to enslave you. Christ came to liberate us from that. So when I dress up and go trick or treating or decorate a Christmas tree, I am celebrating that he’s all I need.

I also think you grossly underestimate what it would take to convert a community of pagans. The conversion isn’t going to work by just talking it up. You have to co-opt those traditions. That’s the only way to make it stick. It is essentially the inverse of what happened in Japan when Samurai’s were no longer allowed to wear their top knot and carry their swords and what happened in Scotland and Ireland when the Queen of England outlawed the Highlander’s kilt, tartans and the playing of the pipes.

I would submit that co-opting traditions is the best way to effect change in a culture and convert a passel of pagans. To refuse to do so would be to give up on spreading the good news. It is tantamount to burying talents.

Martin Luther set about taking secular and sometimes downright bachanal music and giving it Christian lyrics while there were those of the same period that supported a "book burning" type approach to secular art. Luther said, "I'm not of the opinion that all arts are to be cast down and destroyed on account of the Gospel, as some fanatics protest... Why should the devil have all the good music?"

To refuse all celebrations on the basis of their pagan origin, lets the devil throw all the good parties. That's no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ISAtlanta300
    Dunno. Christians did not "invent" the christmas tree though..
    The short answer is that the Celts and the pagan Romans pretty much everybody pre-Christian, saw the winter solstice as a great time to party. The only way to get us... I mean them... *Malana wonders if her freckles and pale skin are showing* to stop running around naked under the full moon and having lots of sex was to give us something else to do like cutting down a tree and making lots of handcrafted thingies to hang on it.

The long answer is that evergreens have been a symbol of rebirth from ancient times. Bringing greenery into your house at winter solstice symbolized life in the midst of death in many cultures. The christmas tree was probably a descendent of the Yule tree. We think the word is a descendent of the Anglo-Saxon word 'geol' which eans feast. Probably the time of winter solstice for the Celts, Angles and Saxons was the time of a great feast. Solstices both Winter and Spring were celebrated with dancing and merrymaking.

The Romans also decked their homes with evergreens. They celebrated Saturnalia, which was a festival honoring the god of agriculture. Relaxed morality, general merrymaking, feasting and gift giving were all associated with Saturnalia. These tradtions and the traditions of other cultures were assimilated by Christians and given Christian meanings.

Now thats a non Biblical bunch of mumbo jumbo if I have ever heard it.
    You "think" He loves your celebrations? You think so in spite of what He has already said? Please give a Bible text or two to support the notion that God loves the way pagans worship their false gods. Good luck finding any.

From the Bible....

28] Observe and hear all these words which I command thee, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee for ever, when thou doest that which is good and right in the sight of the LORD thy God.
    [29] When the LORD thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;
    [30] Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
    [31] Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
    [32] What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
    Deut 12: 28-32

"For I am the LORD, I change not.." Mal. 3:6

"Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matt 4

The Romans also decked their homes with evergreens. They celebrated Saturnalia, which was a festival honoring the god of agriculture. Relaxed morality, general merrymaking, feasting and gift giving were all associated with Saturnalia. These tradtions and the traditions of other cultures were assimilated by Christians and given Christian meanings.
    Yes indeed...pagan festivals of fertility & sun worship "given christian meanings"...or more accurately meanings invented by the roman catholic church and followers. These days werent included in any so called christian "worship" until the 3rd century AD during the Constantine era when much of the Truth of the Bible and Jesus Christ was sacrificed in favor of meaningless rituals of pagan orgin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast