Thread: Ruger LCP

Default Ruger LCP

Got to shoot the LCP today. That little thing is not really all that fun to shoot. It kicks hard and the sights are horrible. Not to mention is ungodly long and strong trigger pull on it. I know it is only meant to be a close up weapon, but now I see why so many people go straight for the crimson trace laser on it. Only put about 100 rounds through it and my hand was shaking pretty bad. Definitely more work to shoot than my G23.

Because of its size I still say it is a pretty damn good pistol for concealed carry, but definitely not something you want to bring to the range to shoot for fun.
    Last edited by BanginJimmy; 01-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Yea its a beast to shoot. I bought one for my fiance to carry and my hand was hurting for a couple days after shooting some rounds through it. My G19 is so much more fun to shoot. It will do its job though if you gotta sling a few in the stomach of a robber

Yeah the recoil on those frames are awful and you feel all of it in your hand

Senior Member | IA Veteran

They are very accurate for the size I can hit 15 yards out and get a couple groups . I love them , also the laser is pointless with the recoil and why would you want a laser for a quick up close protection the time you have to sight on the red dot the bad guy got you already .These guns was made for up close protection only.The sights was made for a conceal purpose only so it can slip in and out without catching on the sights .

I like the LCP over the Kel-tec

Quote Originally Posted by Tech5 View Post
    They are very accurate for the size I can hit 15 yards out and get a couple groups . I love them , also the laser is pointless with the recoil and why would you want a laser for a quick up close protection the time you have to sight on the red dot the bad guy got you already .These guns was made for up close protection only.The sights was made for a conceal purpose only so it can slip in and out without catching on the sights .

I like the LCP over the Kel-tec
    They are pretty accurate, but as I said, the sights are very hard to acquire in a hurry. The laser will make it easier for a quick point and shoot.

I shot the kel-tec as well as the LCP before I bought the lcp and I agree. I liked the lcp better even though it is basicly the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    They are pretty accurate, but as I said, the sights are very hard to acquire in a hurry. The laser will make it easier for a quick point and shoot.

I shot the kel-tec as well as the LCP before I bought the lcp and I agree. I liked the lcp better even though it is basicly the same gun.
    Guess you never had to pull out a laser pistol when you was fearing for your life . You have to take the time to find the laser by that time you're dead. Sights are worthless when it comes to protection up close and personal . I don't even try to use the sights when practicing because when it's with in a few feet you don't need to take the time to adjust your body to try and AIM . It's call point and shoot protection , those that think they are going to take the time to AIM , or sight in on a laser red dot are going to be hurt , or worse dead .

Worst thing you can do in the heat of the moment is to try and think,and look for a dot or sight when your life is in danger . This is what a few safety classes taught me from my local sheriffs department .You should look for some held around your area , many departments offer this course and also a LEO training for Citizens that covers laws,and what you can and can't do being a leo etc etc .Great info from this event.

Back on track LCP take the front sight and paint it either a HOT neon Orange or yellow ...makes a world of difference when aiming for target practice .

I will try the paint to see if it helps.

We agree that up close and personal you need to know how to point and shoot without actually aiming but a laser can be an aid to help you do that. If your point and shoot will hit the target the laser will be there already.

Using a little 380 means a second shot will likely be needed so the laser will help you adjust fire quickly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I had an LCP and now own a Kel Tec. The only thing i liked better about the LCP is the slide lock. The Kel Tec dosent beat my hand up as bad when shooting it so i kep the P3AT and sold the LCP. I can hit gallon size oil bottles at 10 yrds with either platform. Eventually ill be upgrading to the S&W Bodyguard .380 since the price is about to drop $100 soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    And I do drive a Miata, so I am gayer than a three dollar bill...

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    I will try the paint to see if it helps.

We agree that up close and personal you need to know how to point and shoot without actually aiming but a laser can be an aid to help you do that. If your point and shoot will hit the target the laser will be there already.

Using a little 380 means a second shot will likely be needed so the laser will help you adjust fire quickly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't think you quite understand me about the laser in a self defense mode . You are taking precious time looking for a red dot then actually shooting to stop danger.

Chris , I love the ruger for that same reason and I have no problems shooting my LCP but I am also a Man lolol.....Ruger is not my only gun i carry it's mainly a back up . As I love to OC.

I almost bought one of these things to carry but I simply just don't feel safe with the little thing. I'm on the hunt for a Taurus 9mm slim I think now for a new carry gun.

Do I prefer the LCP over the Keltec.
    Honda RC51 SP1
    Yoshi RS-3 Cans
    520 Conversion
    Clip Ons
    Race Tech Fork Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Blitanicle99 View Post
    I almost bought one of these things to carry but I simply just don't feel safe with the little thing. I'm on the hunt for a Taurus 9mm slim I think now for a new carry gun.

Do I prefer the LCP over the Keltec.

I trust it with my life and I feel sorry for a bad guy if it ever had to come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech5 View Post
    I don't think you quite understand me about the laser in a self defense mode . You are taking precious time looking for a red dot then actually shooting to stop danger.
    We do understand each other, just looking at it different.

if you fall get back on 95droppedhatch's Avatar

well i just bought a ruger lcp 3 days ago for my carrying gun. i like the like compact size but i hope it isnt as bad as everyone is making it to be.