Thread: My 1911 build thread...

Thumbs up My 1911 build thread...

Well, I got a Springfield Champion on trade for a Glock I didnt care to much for.
    I didn't really like the GI model all that much So I put it up for sale until I went and actually shot it. All I could say is WOW. it was punching the same hole in my target at 7-10 yards.
    So I decided to keep it.
    So far I have purchased a wilson combat 8 round mag for it... I have only had it a week and I dont have alot of funds to buy all my parts at once so I will collect them over time and then have them all fitted.

So far my plans are...
    beavertail safety, most likely a S&A
    commander hammer
    stainless 4" barrel
    vz grips in black desert sand operators 2
    bobtail (bc it prints pretty badly.) most likely ed brown

and either a Black and desert tan or Black and grey color coat of some kind havent decided yet.

any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -1911one-jpg  

THats a great pistol ya go there. Just a couple thoughts to follow, fwiw....

So far my plans are...
    beavertail safety, most likely a S&A - S&A .220" is the only option for Springfield tangs.
    commander hammer - you should replace sear, disconector, and the hammer at once. Upgrading the hammer but leaving MIM sear and disco is kinda like running bald tires on 3 corners then a new tire on the 4th corner, in the rain.
    stainless 4" barrel - unless your building a bullseye gun, the stock bbl is combat accurate (as you mentioned above), to me the stock is plenty good. could save you 225$+ to go towards other goodies.
    vz grips in black desert sand operators 2 - awesome
    bobtail (bc it prints pretty badly.) most likely ed brown - edbrown works, check the long 1911 thread in here for a recent bobtail i did using the ed brown parts.

and either a Black and desert tan or Black and grey color coat of some kind havent decided yet. - cerakote is the way to go

Since the 1911 is a collection of subsystems and NO part can be replaced without effecting at least one subsystem, then its very important to come up with a plan of attack that keeps you from having to toss new parts in the future. Also, add a trigger to your list, fit trigger when you do the rest of the fire control and before the beavertail.
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

Check out the bobtail danny did for me. It turned out nice. I love the little champions. There fun little pee shooters.

Danny when you get time take a pic of all those leftover stock/non-stock parts I sent up to you and see if there is anything "DerrickT" can use.

If he doesnt have the cash to replace all the FCP stuff there is no need for him to spend $25-30 on a new hammer when I think I have two down here and you have two up there! I also have a couple of checkered msh flat and arched i think if your interested. best of luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.

Nice! Good luck and like Danny said check out the parts, do things once instead of twice. I'm in the middle of my build now and am super excited for it to be done. It's lots of work though! Make sure your really up for the job!

Looking forward to updates. I'll have a build thread up soon.

My Flickr!
    Blog! Follow Me!!

**Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**

Quote Originally Posted by kerndog8 View Post
    Nice! Good luck and like Danny said check out the parts, do things once instead of twice. I'm in the middle of my build now and am super excited for it to be done. It's lots of work though! Make sure your really up for the job!

Looking forward to updates. I'll have a build thread up soon.
    you better!
    Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.

Cool
    I appreciate your input Danny & TG. I have seen both of your pistols and almost came to tears when I saw TG's Champion for sale on GON and GGT. It is nearly identical to the way I want to go with mine.

What is your guys opinion on the EGW guns trigger kit (sear, hammer... Etc) they have on their site for $85. The 1911 guru at Clyde Armory I deal with recommended it.

I haven't used the EGW trigger set but I have a ton of their other parts. Their quality is top notch and everything is over-sized (if you order it that way) which gives the potential for an excellent gun. Maybe Danny can pitch in about the trigger but I don't think he has used it either.

My Flickr!
    Blog! Follow Me!!

**Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**

EGW makes top shelf stuff. Thier ball head disconector is the best in the industry. The only downside to EGW hammers is that the edges are not chamfered.
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

another good value is Dave Berryhills ignition set.http://shop.berryhillguns.com/index....products_id=47

Dave Berryhills ring hammer set

I just ordered a crossbreed supertuck for it in horsehide a few minutes ago. I am pretty sure that the EGW trigger kit will be my next purchase. (along with an actual trigger.)
    what kind of work is involved with installing it? should I wait until I have all the parts I want to install before fitting? (all parts total, not just the trigger kit)

I would be interested to see if another one of DB's kits actually drops in or not. I was def. impressed with your findings for the price.

Hmm.. Been doing some 2011 research again. I will post info in my thread though..

CROSSBREED.. great holsters!

Quote Originally Posted by Truegiant View Post
    I would be interested to see if another one of DB's kits actually drops in or not. I was def. impressed with your findings for the price.

Hmm.. Been doing some 2011 research again. I will post info in my thread though..
    So far I really like my Berryhills setup! To bad I couldn't make it down to Dannys last night. I hear it was a late night...hehe

My Flickr!
    Blog! Follow Me!!

yep.. definately was a late night last night. I will post up some pics when i get them from danny, lulz..

I think I impressed him with my ninja dremel skilllzzz son! hahahah.