Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I had a thought bout the Bible

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
    btw not sure if you guys have seen these vids,
    but here it is... Richard Dawkins Interviews Creationist Wendy Wright http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjoEgYOgRo

she's such a creepy belly button licking cunt
    You know, I just remembered, if people had listen to the church and never contested them, we wouldn't have the modern day medicine and women wouldn't have rights.

I think it was illegal back in medieval times to open up a dead human and there was no science of anatomy then. But look at how that SCIENCE has saved millions of lives.

you know what bohdi i guess i am pretty closeminded, i believe in One God, One Faith, One way, One truth, Holiness, Holy Spirit, and the name of my God is Jesus! nothing on this earth can convince me otherwise. not your shakey scientific facts, not studies, not proof nor evidence because my God goes beyond what our minds can comprehend. i went to church this morning and had a good one on one with my Lord. keep trying buddy cuz i know my Lord is coming back soon and i have faith that i will be ready. one day soon enough all the tangible evidence you need with appear in the clouds. hope you can stand as tall then as you do now
    riding for God crew member #1

IA Domestic Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    you know what bohdi i guess i am pretty closeminded, i believe in One God, One Faith, One way, One truth, Holiness, Holy Spirit, and the name of my God is Jesus! nothing on this earth can convince me otherwise. not your shakey scientific facts, not studies, not proof nor evidence because my God goes beyond what our minds can comprehend. i went to church this morning and had a good one on one with my Lord. keep trying buddy cuz i know my Lord is coming back soon and i have faith that i will be ready. one day soon enough all the tangible evidence you need with appear in the clouds. hope you can stand as tall then as you do now
    i stand 6 feet tall now, and will be standing 6 feet tall when this "strange cloud phenomenon" occurs...

something that you may think is god, might actually be some extraterrestrial being with god-like powers.
    it might have telekinesis and have the ability to talk to you directly through your mind, cure blindness, and heck it might be able to walk on water too

would you drop to your knees with tears in your eyes yelling "oh lawd - cum inside me please!!!" haha, dork
    top 5

"get with the Gs, or get on yo knees"

Quote Originally Posted by JDM onlyy View Post
    I think it was illegal back in medieval times to open up a dead human and there was no science of anatomy then. But look at how that SCIENCE has saved millions of lives.
    Science doesn't have to fix anything. If you would have faith that God is your healer you wouldn't have to worry about sicknesses.

If we would never had turned away from The Holy Spirit then we wouldn't have sicknesses or diseases. Yeshua died on the cross from our healing. Did you know that when Yeshua was flogged that He was hit 39 times? Do you know that there are 39 root causes for all sicknesses and diseases? Is it just a coincidence? God is intentional with everything He does.

I know beyond a doubt that healing is real and have seen it within my life and the lives of people around me. One of my best friends had HIV for 5 years. 2 years ago he had an encounter with Jehovah-Rapha and no longer has it anymore. What has God done in your lives?
    Nothin yet...

Not this shit again...
    My line of work
    www.internationaljets.com

It had to happen sometime. Go hit em with a little taste of the remix...
    Nothin yet...

ballerdave- Hallelujah brother!!!! Man its good to hear what our God is doing. There is just something about praying the different names of Jesus isnt there? There is power, healing, and salvation in the Holy name of our Lord Jesus!!!!

IA Domestic Alliance

LOL

ballerdave- Hallelujah brother!!!! Man its good to hear what our God is doing. There is just something about praying the different names of Jesus isnt there? There is power, healing, and salvation in the Holy name of our Lord Jesus!!!!
    haha you guys sound like a couple of goddamn amish fucks
    top 5

Quote Originally Posted by BallerDave04 View Post
    Science doesn't have to fix anything. If you would have faith that God is your healer you wouldn't have to worry about sicknesses.

If we would never had turned away from The Holy Spirit then we wouldn't have sicknesses or diseases. Yeshua died on the cross from our healing. Did you know that when Yeshua was flogged that He was hit 39 times? Do you know that there are 39 root causes for all sicknesses and diseases? Is it just a coincidence? God is intentional with everything He does.

I know beyond a doubt that healing is real and have seen it within my life and the lives of people around me. One of my best friends had HIV for 5 years. 2 years ago he had an encounter with Jehovah-Rapha and no longer has it anymore. What has God done in your lives?
    srsly, brooo...

doctor manhattan thinks you're relatively lame

i don't know or care about your friends fake HIV shit, and how he was cured by some fake ass god shit
    but i have a similar point in my dissertation, it's summed up more succinctly...

it goes a lil sumpthin like this: "religion is a retarded pile of bullshit used to manipulate gullible people. the end...."
    top 5

Quote Originally Posted by BallerDave04 View Post
    If you would have faith that God is your healer you wouldn't have to worry about sicknesses.
    Let me know how that works out when you catch the flu, pneumonia, or HIV yourself or something.

jdmonlyy- ballerdave makes a good point, you don't believe in this because you don't have the faith he does. Plain and simple stuff really, there are plenty of real documented cases out there of miracle healings.

IA Domestic Alliance

Certified Gearhead

i would like to see your research or proof of the kjv not being accurate.
    Wow...i've been gone for a while and this is an interesting discussion.

First off, I have not read everything...there is too much on here, but i have seen some serious inaccuracies.

First of the KJV does have errors (and some are intentional, but you need to look at the history of King James and the Anglican church to understand why). You should also remember that the only reason we know there are errors in his translation is because we have original manuscripts to go by...in fact we know that many of our versions have translations errors. Think about the nature of the Judeo-Christian faith...it is historically based. Just like you would read about the Egyptians, the Sumerians, etc etc...we have to always go back and check our understanding of what happened.

The Bible is written as a collection of writings by different authors through time. This being that case, there are tons of real history there, and we are always discovering new things to help us understand the history and the language better. Because the Bible is made from physical manuscripts you can expect two things to always happen.

1. we will always be making leaps in our understandings of past cultures and language. Therefore we will always have to go back and cross reference our newly found understandings with our translations.

2. we should always expect our understandings of what the text says to be pretty close to accurate. Remember, the Bible is not translated on a whim. Its translated with reference and historical information that validates what we understand to have happened. This means that even though we get a few words wrong here or there, the fundamental basis of the accounts written in scripture are still accurate.

Imagine if you will ten people telling of an event that they witness...maybe a bank robbery. One of these people is an american and the other is arabic and so on with varied cultures. They will be speaking in different languages and the root of the words they use will have subtle differences in translated meaning, however the accounts of what they all saw should tell the same story. "A man walked into the bank with a gun and demanded the money and ran out. He was wearing....he was this tall...etc etc"

Now even in this scenario we still are going to be less accurate than the translations of the Bible because everyone doing the translating has access to the original manuscripts and other accounts that are not written as biblical scriptures to verify what is there.

Lastly,
    Some of the people on here are commenting based off of wikipedia searches and google. You need to be careful with that because whether or not you believe in the meaning of what is written in the Bible, it is a completely separate thing than saying the Bible is erratic because men wrote it.

The simple facts are:
    The men in scripture were real.
    They authored their texts.
    They told their accounts to the best of their ability in their language and culture.
    A very strong majority of their accounts are verified through non-biblical secular texts.
    The physical texts are there for referencing ALL new translations.

Just as if you were listening to a persons testimony in the courtroom you can and should scrutinize the texts as its presented. The Bible invites it. But the thing to remember is that you should be asking if the specific individual account is accurate and you should be able to dig and really define those things you believe to be inaccurate. Because we are talking about 3000 year old manuscripts, in some cases we can't verify every little detail, but we should expect to be able to verify some.

Its easy to sit back and play games making claims against the Bible, but the information is out their for you to really look and validate things that are in it. If you are arguing against it and haven't moved past google, and a few atheistic sites then shame on you, you are a fool arguing with wisdom that is thousands of years old and only increasing in its influence and grounding.
    "Their [the new atheists] treatment of the religious viewpoint is pathetic to the point of non-being. Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion would fail any introductory philosophy or religion course. Proudly he criticizes that whereof he knows nothing... I am indignant at the poor quality of the argumentation in Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, and all of the others in that group."

~Michael Ruse, atheist & author and philosopher of biology at Florida State University
    full article

+1 i love when you jump in. ladies and gentlemen this is a learned man

IA Domestic Alliance

Another problem I recently came across is misplaced punctuation. While being misplaced, punctuation may change the sentence into saying something different. Therefore, contradictions in the Bible are made.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Octopus™ View Post
    yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

According to who? Thats a good question to ask.

IA Domestic Alliance

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

As if you've proven yourself to be a good judge of someone's charac.....oh I forgot. You're "Christian." Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

A learned man of a book. What if I started spouted out of all the John Grisham books and all the other books I have. It wouldn't matter how much I knew about though since it's not true. (Well one of his is fiction). But it is a story, not all of them are true. Some are meant to instill morals, while other are accurate translations of what happened. The bible was supposed to be a guide to make people better but it also makes a lot of mindless christian zombies.
    My line of work

Quote Originally Posted by sport_122 View Post

you posted a lot of interesting shit, bro

the post talks about, um...
    things, and things - and more things that serves NO PURPOSE TO YOUR CASE

i have studied shit about the bible and its origin (waste of a semester)
    sure they have fucking authors - EVERY BOOK has to have an author, BUT, the things they talk about never happened - or maybe they did, but it was not done by some god; it was mostly done by natural phenomenon (like tunder storms, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, ect ect...)

youve said before that you went to college and studied religion, so im sure you already know that christianity is just a replica of past religions! like you stated...about the egyptians, and stories of sumerians... they played a part in the bibles birth

ppl back then WERE INFLUENCED by events and had no explanation for them, so they slapped that event with something god-like, and blamed god for when something bad happened, and praised god when something good happened -- then, they wrote it down (kept notes of these events) and eventually started combining all the stories till the bible came to be... PERIOD
    top 5

"religion is a retarded pile of bullshit used to manipulate gullible people. the end...."
    You are correct sir. The way different religions use Biblical translations to manipulate people is terrible. Religion is man made and shouldn't be followed.

Spiritualism on the other hand is different. I don't claim any one religion. The word Christian means "Christ follower." You should be led by The Spirit, not by a person.
    Nothin yet...

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Starrfire View Post
    A learned man of a book. What if I started spouted out of all the John Grisham books and all the other books I have. It wouldn't matter how much I knew about though since it's not true. (Well one of his is fiction). But it is a story, not all of them are true. Some are meant to instill morals, while other are accurate translations of what happened. The bible was supposed to be a guide to make people better but it also makes a lot of mindless christian zombies.

That is almost completely wrong. The Bible was not put together to make people better. The Bible was put together because the scattered groups of early Christians realized that there were people trying to influence the foundations of their doctrine. The assembled the books based on the eye witness accounts to the foundations of the church. The Bible is not there to teach people to be good....that is absolutely false. In fact the Bible teaches that people cannot be good. Some stories in scripture are written as parables, but the accounts are not.

the post talks about, um...
    things, and things - and more things that serves NO PURPOSE TO YOUR CASE

i have studied shit about the bible and its origin (waste of a semester)
    sure they have fucking authors - EVERY BOOK has to have an author, BUT, the things they talk about never happened - or maybe they did, but it was not done by some god; it was mostly done by natural phenomenon (like tunder storms, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, ect ect...)

youve said before that you went to college and studied religion, so im sure you already know that christianity is just a replica of past religions! like you stated...about the egyptians, and stories of sumerians... they played a part in the bibles birth

ppl back then WERE INFLUENCED by events and had no explanation for them, so they slapped that event with something god-like, and blamed god for when something bad happened, and praised god when something good happened -- then, they wrote it down (kept notes of these events) and eventually started combining all the stories till the bible came to be... PERIOD
    Okay, so you took a class during a semester that taught you everything you need to know about the Bible. I'm calling you Short Bus from now on. You are in a discussion on something that you have no actual understanding of...way to go.

Bring your historical evidence to the table. thats my simple challenge to you. What you have stated is completely wrong. It doesn't demonstrate any knowledge or understand of the time period or the cultures that produced the individual texts that would become the Bible. Just about everything you say is absolutely false and is a product of years of liars and lazy googlers. People who just can't bring themselve to come to terms with what is written in scripture. You deny historical authenticity with ignorance. You have shown me that you know absolutely nothing about what you are saying, you only have some sort of emotional investment in this discussion, not a position grounded in any form of study or research. Thumbs up to you...the other bible-haters may think you are cool, but I know you ride the short bus on this topic.

Like i said before. You don't have to be a christian to know that the bible has its groundings and they are pretty solid. I've met people who have viewed the Bible as a historical reference and nothing more. Christians take that even further. We look at the accounts and "some of us" will use reasoning and our understanding of how people are to try to understand what was happening. For instance the resurrection of Christ...but thats a completely different thread...you can find my thoughts on that somewhere on here cause I'm not retyping all of that.
    Last edited by sport_122; 03-14-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    "Their [the new atheists] treatment of the religious viewpoint is pathetic to the point of non-being. Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion would fail any introductory philosophy or religion course. Proudly he criticizes that whereof he knows nothing... I am indignant at the poor quality of the argumentation in Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, and all of the others in that group."

~Michael Ruse, atheist & author and philosopher of biology at Florida State University
    full article

Quote Originally Posted by sport_122 View Post
    Okay, so you took a class during a semester that taught you everything you need to know about the Bible. I'm calling you Short Bus from now on. You are in a discussion on something that you have no actual understanding of...way to go.

Bring your historical evidence to the table. thats my simple challenge to you. What you have stated is completely wrong. It doesn't demonstrate any knowledge or understand of the time period or the cultures that produced the individual texts that would become the Bible. Just about everything you say is absolutely false and is a product of years of liars and lazy googlers. People who just can't bring themselve to come to terms with what is written in scripture. You deny historical authenticity with ignorance. You have shown me that you know absolutely nothing about what you are saying, you only have some sort of emotional investment in this discussion, not a position grounded in any form of study or research. Thumbs up to you...the other bible-haters may think you are cool, but I know you ride the short bus on this topic.

Like i said before. You don't have to be a christian to know that the bible has its groundings and they are pretty solid. I've met people who have viewed the Bible as a historical reference and nothing more. Christians take that even further. We look at the accounts and "some of us" will use reasoning and our understanding of how people are to try to understand what was happening. For instance the resurrection of Christ...but thats a completely different thread...you can find my thoughts on that somewhere on here cause I'm not retyping all of that.

haha, that is a pile of fake intellectual bullshit that contradicts itself...

words, scriptures, and "science" aren't good enough to explain the real truth, but somehow you and your long winded wordy drivel is doing something really truthful
    tards who arrogantly believe in magic never cease to amaze me.
    do you belieeeve in maaaagic, a scooby dooby doo bop!

sooo, you think you have a point?? you don't...
    like i said before you are just a fake intellectual who doesn't even know really what's going on in general, and like to pretend you're on some impressive trippy higher level of consciousness when really you're just a poser of average intelligence who doesn't know shit

if you ask me really nicely, i'll commit multi-quote assault on your post later tonight... with real facts, and all that other jazz
    top 5

Lets see your " real " facts buddy. BUT if you wants your " facts " to be considered I want you to first take on the task of disproving all the prophetic and archaeological evidences I provided in my other thread. Then you can go ahead and post your own facts. If you want a serious intellectual debate then don't just sit there and dismiss the evidence provided to you, take the time like a real intellectual and discuss it and explain your views. Don't be guilty of blindness like some on here, cough..QD..cough, and just close your eyes to the proofs as if no that mountain is not real it is just made up. Rise up to the challenge my friend.

IA Domestic Alliance

Don't be guilty of blindness like some on here, cough..QD..cough, and just close your eyes to the proofs
    You have no proof, dummy. You need to open your eyes and see the world for what is and get out of that fantasy world where you think you're life is guided by some unknown, unproven entity and where you think you're a better human than I. You want to keep talking shit with me, I can certainly talk it back with you. And with my intellectual prowess, I'm quite sure you'll be made to look like the fool that you've exhibited yourself to look like so far. You're in for a real treat, stupid. Later, QD.
    Last edited by quickdodge®; 03-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Lets see your " real " facts buddy. BUT if you wants your " facts " to be considered I want you to first take on the task of disproving all the prophetic and archaeological evidences I provided in my other thread. Then you can go ahead and post your own facts. If you want a serious intellectual debate then don't just sit there and dismiss the evidence provided to you, take the time like a real intellectual and discuss it and explain your views. Don't be guilty of blindness like some on here, cough..QD..cough, and just close your eyes to the proofs as if no that mountain is not real it is just made up. Rise up to the challenge my friend.

fair enough, geoff

gimme a day or so, to thoroughly dissect your post... ok?
    top 5

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    You have no proof, dummy. You need to open your eyes and see the world for what is and get out of that fantasy world where you think you're life is guided by some unknown, unproven entity and where you think you're a better human than I. You want to keep talking shit with me, I can certainly talk it back with you. And with me intellectual prowess, I'm quite sure you'll be made to look like the fool that you've exhibited yourself to look like so far. You're in for a real treat, stupid. Later, QD.
    "my intellectual prowess".... hehehe

yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
    "my intellectual prowess".... hehehe
    Lolol. And of all phrases to fuck up in. Later, QD.

you're silly QD

joo havent changed dude lol
    top 5

Lolol. And of all phrases to fuck up in. Later, QD.
    I got a good laugh out of that one. I can't say much lately. lol

Amen.

you're silly QD

joo havent changed dude lol
    I do what I can, sometimes, to keep things lively 'round here.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
    I got a good laugh out of that one. But I can't say much lately. lol
    After my getting you the last couple of times, lolol. Later, QD.

I do what I can, sometimes, to keep things lively 'round here.

After my getting you the last couple of times, lolol. Later, QD.
    Is the E-thug coming out of you?

Yeah, I think I am fixed for now.

Amen.

I'm the fool? I don't believe I have looked like a fool by providing actual studies and evidences, maybe if I had your "intellectual prowess" I would make more sense and use correct grammar like you right? Like I said before buddy, if you want to be taken seriously in these threads than add some intellectual insight instead of your usual, " nananana booboo, your a dummy face and you not smart like me, I am iz god on this site" Come on brother, seriously? Your 39 and have experienced alot in your life, I expected better from you. I will help you out, if you want to have an intelligent conversation or debate with me you just need to follow these steps:
    1. Pick a side, get off the proverbial fence of agnostic cowards and stick by your beliefs.
    2. Do your research on both sides, faith an no faith, come up with YOUR OWN belief.
    3. Do more research on the information available that supports your belief, and present it.

Honestly man I don't think I am better than you, I just think I know more of what I am talking about, and I back it up with examples of studies, research, and scripture. You want to know what a fool is? It's someone that gives their opinion and false information and acts like they know what they are talking about without even a remote foundation on which to back their claims. I don't personally have anything against you, but do you think you sound very intelligent by cussing me out? Grow up man, don't take things so personal.

Later, Geoff

IA Domestic Alliance

I like where this is going.

Amen.

I'm the fool?
    You sir, are correct.

I will help you out, if you want to have an intelligent conversation or debate with me you just need to follow these steps:
    You, of all people, have no room to tell me how to engage in any form of conversation. But I'll indulge you:

1. Pick a side, get off the proverbial fence of agnostic cowards and stick by your beliefs.
    2. Do your research on both sides, faith an no faith, come up with YOUR OWN belief.
    3. Do more research on the information available that supports your belief, and present it.
    1. Have you not yet learned how to understand what words mean when strung together to form correct sentences? I've told you multiple times what "side of the fence" I'm on. Just because you can't accept my position, you have to talk down to me like that? Fuck you.

2. Reread number one. All of it.

3. Hmmmm. Why did you just make options two and three the same thing? Reread number one. All of it.

You want to know what a fool is? It's someone that gives their opinion and false information and acts like they know what they are talking about without even a remote foundation on which to back their claims.
    How in the fuck do YOU know that you're not giving out false information??? You always post in here about me or any of us "non-religious scientists" giving out false information as if you knew for a goddamn fact that what you preach is true to word. Who the fuck are you to say that you're fucking right on all this?? Because you have some YouTube videos to "support your claim?"

I don't personally have anything against you, but do you think you sound very intelligent by cussing me out? Grow up man, don't take things so personal.
    Resorting back to you thinking you can offend me, huh? And how intelligent did you think you sounded when you said, "I will just be ignoring your nonsense posts?" Yeah. I never started cussing you out until you turned to the tried and true way of the "Christian."

I never said I had anything against you. I actually stated that you're probably an alright dude away from here. I just think you've been God-struck a little too hard. Later, QD.

look im not here to start trouble. if you want we can just pm back and forth. im trying to do a good thing here and its getting way out of hand. for now lets just agree to disagree

IA Domestic Alliance

its getting way out of hand. for now lets just agree to disagree
    I can do that. Later, QD.

QD, don't you worship trees and all that gay shit? lololol

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Dollar View Post
    You haven't told anyone that those are my boobs in your avatar right? Wouldn't want people going crazy or anything...I know how you get jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    QD, don't you worship trees and all that gay shit? lololol
    a pagan? now that point of view would be interesting.

^^^I work with one of those fags. What a weird bastard. I'm against all organized religion, but this shit is just funny.
    My line of work

Quote Originally Posted by Starrfire View Post
    ^^^I work with one of those fags. What a weird bastard. I'm against all organized religion, but this shit is just funny.

I'm just saying if anyone is going to be pissed as hell at Christians a Pagan would get a free pass, but not any more so than the rest of us. A Pagan in America must feel like an Indian living on a reservation, and I myself feel the same way like a stranger in a strange land. I don't have a full grasp of what Pagans believe but I think it would be interesting to read their opinions.

It is imperative that we begin speaking plainly about the absurdity of most of our religious beliefs. I fear, however, that the time has not yet arrived. In this sense, what follows is written very much in the spirit of a prayer but i like to think of it as more of a cry for reason.

I "pray" that we may one day think clearly enough about these matters to render our children incapable of killing themselves over their books. If not our children, then I suspect it could well be too late for us, because while it has never been difficult to meet your maker, in fifty years it will simply be too easy to drag everyone else along to meet him with you. I have come to the conclusion that the existence of a God is totally inconsequential.

Reason dictates that a life spent in recognition of the universe and of preservation of one's self and others is better than a life spent on your knees.
    Last edited by StreetHazard; 03-15-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast