Thread: hb615 in school paper

Default hb615 in school paper

got this printed in todays school paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588
    http://www.vsuspectator.com/2010/02/11/letters-to-the-editor-february-11-2010/
    In response to the why guns are needed on campus controversy, have you looked at the news or crime around you? Georgia tech has been a criminals paradise in the last year. I cant even count how many armed robberies and people shot there were. On Thursday Feb. 4, a student attacked someone with a sword. Why in the world do you want to keep everyone defenseless from the crazy people in this world? I am sorry, but my life means a lot to me; and i want to be able to protect myself. I carry a gun everyday, and i am disarmed and defenseless on campus. Gun laws like the one restricting campus carry only help criminals. Criminals still have their weapons, while the law abiding are disarmed. What kind of school sends a message that they want their students to be disarmed and prey for criminals?
    In the Feb 4 issue of the spectator there is an article called Don’t lock and load in public. While reading this I became very agitated by the stance the author took. I wish the author would have done a slight bit of research before writing the article. Like the article states, there are over 400,000 license holders in the state and we go day to day without any incidence. In fact, as a group; license holders have a lower crime rate than the police officers do.
    Many states have allowed carry in churches, schools and at public gatherings for years and have had no “wild west shootouts” like many people are led to believe. In fact, crime has decreased in the states that have granted firearm carry rights to their citizens (http://gunowners.org/fs0404.htm). The mass shootings that have been the most publicized, Columbine High School, Virginia Tech and Fort Hood, were conducted in “gun-free zones (Yes, military bases are gun-free zones. The brave people who are sent to defend our country are not allowed to defend themselves and must rely on the government to help them.) So what are these restrictions helping? Nothing. You leave criminals with their guns and disarm the LAW ABIDING CITIZENS.
    The author asked why someone would need a gun at church? well how about the pastor who was robbed and killed during church this year? Think he would have liked some security or way to protect himself? Churches have been robbed before and will be robbed again. Things do happen, and can happen anywhere. I personally have had to pull my firearm to save my friend’s life. Thankfully, I prepared myself before something happened. Most people wait until something happens before they wake up and see guns as a defensive tool. Preventing and being prepared for the worst situation is what saves lives.
    I hope you post this letter so the students can actually read some common sense and learn the facts before being scared of the most responsible people our society has based on a poorly researched article.
    Charles Curtis
    4th year
    Business management major
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

i am 100% with that article. btw patrick, you posted awhile back about gerogia congress meeting for the public gathering laws and other laws. i believe it was rescheduled? any idea when?

about mentioning colombine highschool though, is that the students cant carry. but thats why highschools usually have a school cop there now right??

well in colorado, you can carry on campus; but since it was a high school, no students were of age; but the teachers could have been carrying. HB615 goes to vote on March 3rd.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

+reps. good job!
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

My wife got an email about it down here at the GT Savannah campus. Good stuff. +Reps.. Danny.. send me some photos when you get time. i am posting some pics of my new rig now. its almost done
    Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.