Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-point 9mm , good or bad?

Default Hi-point 9mm , good or bad?

lookin to maybe pick one up , local shop is sellin them for $150 , guy there says as long as you dont use hollows , it is pretty fail proof , what are ya'lls thoughts or advice on them? , thanx

POS guns. A friend of mine had one. It jammed ever other round.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    POS guns. A friend of mine had one. It jammed ever other round.
    was he runnin hollows?

horrible gun. yeh my cousin used range rounds (non hollow) jammed every like 4 rnds. poorly designed as well. anything under 300 thats a semi auto pistol has issues imo. u can get used taurus and rugers for like 3 even. the quote that got me out of cheap guns is, "would you trust that gun to save your life?"

btw, what shop do u go to? i live in dacula and i go to bullseye. they dont sell low end guns and best prices around here. been going there for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnDisLaOsBoY View Post
    btw, what shop do u go to? i live in dacula and i go to bullseye. they dont sell low end guns and best prices around here. been going there for a few years now.
    it was a newer place in lilburn , i am very familiar with bullseye , just cant really afford $300

I have heard bad things about them. Remember you get what you pay for. I know a guy that has one and he says it is a good gun for the price, but they are bulky and the over all design isn't the greatest, they def. aren't the best looking gun.

not all too concerned with looks , maily the reliability factor

Yeah I would add about $150 to what they are asking and buy a descent used ruger or something. Would rather a good gun than have to go buy another one when that one fails.

look into the ruger p95. They are running a pretty good deal on them right now. i just picked up a stainless steel one for like $330 brand new.. Bersa's are fairly cheap too

they used to be 99 bucks. i have no idea why they shot up 50% Check the gun store on buford hwy. they have one case with lower end guns. The phoenix arms one looked like a bersa for cheap. do research on it. I havent heard anything about them

IA MEMBER

Get a used Smith & Wesson SW40VE or SW9VE... never had any problems with mine. If you don't mind a nine pound trigger then its great gun and for the price you can't beat it

In my opinion they are some of the shittiest guns on the market. Everybody I have known who has owned one and has gone to shoot with me and my buddies has gone from "this thing isn't that bad, it hasn't even jammed" to "I can't figure out why my gun keeps jamming" after about 300-400 rounds. I don't know if it is because they use poor quality metal in the parts, or what but they seem to be prone to extraction and firing pin problems. I have seen 2 of them bend firing pins through normal use, I have seen one extractor spring fatigue after just a few boxes of ammo, and I have seen a recoil spring fatigue after about 200 rounds. The people I know who maintain their guns properly seem to get a little better life out of them, but still not enough to where I would let my life rely on one. I would much rather just try to find a Rossi or H&R revolver, if that was all my budget would allow.

repped everyone i could , thanx for all the advice

High point would be better for throwing not shooting iwas offered a niceone in case for $75 and i declined cause its a paper weight

Don't do it.

I've personally dealt with a hi point. I had never heard of them until a few months ago. I held it and I thought it was the biggest turd ever. And eventually found out it was.
    My line of work
    www.internationaljets.com

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

Umm, yeah it's been said, but I'll say it again.....pass on it and wait for something else.

I know the shop you're talking about in Lilburn. Nice enough guys, but their prices are not the best.

Go to a gun show and you'll be able to shop several different ones from several different vendors at the same time. Remember that most rounds are not at their best in FMJ. If a gun will only shoot FMJ, then it's a big red flag to pass on it IMO.

Remember that $150 turns into very close to $200 after tax, tag, and title....if you know what I mean. Another $100 can get you a handgun 100x's better at the next gun show rather easily. Even a beat up used Ruger, Taurus, or the like would be better than a new HiPoint IMO.

Horrible gun buy a shotgun for home defense. If you're looking for a carry weapon save up you can get used sw40s for $400

hell a fuckin ak47 is $450 lol

I can't remeber the name of it but I had a German police 9mm full metal frame handgun I bought for $300 search the gun forum I posted pics. You can prob find one of those still.
    Gunbroker.com
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I agree with everything posted above me
    2007 Civic FA1 and 2005 Yukon XL Denali

i wouldnt do that if i was u. i shot my one of my friends hipoint at the range and it jammed every other round, the trigger pull was very akward, after i was done shooting my gun, his gun decided not to shoot anything anymore and still to this day wont shoot! plus the gun is fugly! academy sporting goods has a shotgun for 180 out the door and a taurus .380 for 270 or a 38 special for 259, just dont get that hipoint!
    ridin in a honda

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post

I can't remeber the name of it but I had a German police 9mm full metal frame handgun I bought for $300 search the gun forum I posted pics. You can prob find one of those still.
    Gunbroker.com
    probably the sig p6 you was selling. and yea they still go for that price.
    when i hear "JDM" i think about 1998 and FF SQUAD. the originators
    BABIES "R" US crew

2jz-gte ftw!!!

store in blairsville close to my work place selling sw40s for 299 brand new!!! picking mine up this weekend.. brand new

Quote Originally Posted by tuner_dude View Post
    store in blairsville close to my work place selling sw40s for 299 brand new!!! picking mine up this weekend.. brand new
    buddy of mines just got that gun. its a great gun so far.
    ridin in a honda

2jz-gte ftw!!!

yeah i was reading reviews on it...all was good but most said they didnt like the trigger but i guess i will find out soon enough

IA MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by tuner_dude View Post
    yeah i was reading reviews on it...all was good but most said they didnt like the trigger but i guess i will find out soon enough

They are great gun for the price.... I have a little more than 400 rounds through mine without any problems. The sw40ve has a long trigger pull (9 pounds) but at least you know the gun will fire when needed.

IA Member

I have a hi point as a plinker, never jammed on me, never had a problem and is surprisingly accurate. Don't know if I would carry it around everyday but mine has been great for me.

If you want to shoot one to try it out you are more than welcome to come out and shoot mine sometime.

2jz-gte ftw!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay0022 View Post
    They are great gun for the price.... I have a little more than 400 rounds through mine without any problems. The sw40ve has a long trigger pull (9 pounds) but at least you know the gun will fire when needed.
    sweeet cant wait to take mine to the range and put some rounds in it

Quote Originally Posted by DamnDisLaOsBoY View Post
    anything under 300 thats a semi auto pistol has issues imo.
    Not necessarily true. I bought a Rock Island 1911 .45 for $300. It was in like new condition w/maybe only 50 rounds shot out of it. I went to the range next week and shot off 100 rounds with no problems at all. But then again thats a 1911 for ya.

Life begins at 6000 RPMS.. You will notice an audible change in engine noise, large increase in acceleration and any female passengers will immidiately start to remove their clothing.

Im not readin all the way through this thread, I get the general theme form the first couple of posts. I have a Hi-Point C9, had a .40 JCP and have two of the 9mm Carbines. I have had ZERO serious problems (maybe 5 FTLs TOTAL) out of them. They take a couple hundred rounds to break them in good (and its a good idea to polish the feed ramp) but after that, they shoot like every other gun...Clean it every time you shoot and they are perfect.

I read so so many people talkin shit about HPs, and I guarantee 95% have never shot one, so they hear this and that from other people who had one bad experience (usually user error) or read some BS someone posted up on the internetz (because we all know everything we google is true) and now because the gun cost $150 its a piece of shit. I have had more problems out of my HK USP than i have out of that C9.

If you wanna talk shit, know something about the gun and dont believe everything you hear and read. I have over 800 rounds through my C9 and it has only FTLd on me ONE TIME, and that was the first time I ever shot it. my XDm 9mm jammed twice on the first magazine (I took it apart, cleaned it, no more problems). If anyone wants to come down and shoot my Hi-Points bring it on, I will put them up against anything you own

Its an awesome truck, glove box or trunk gun because its so cheap...would you rather someone break into your car and steal your $1500 Kimber, $500 Glock, $600 XD, or your $150 Hi-Point?

emartu

they make for good cheap range guns...jam A LOT, like everyone else says.

i'd rather have a pocket knife for home defense than a hipoint

i own a hi point .380 robert, its a pos. like everyone says it does jam every other shot.

i would be afraid if i put a hipoint in my gun safe it would drop the value of all of the rest of my guns.

posted by 01dc2 jdm
    its just a vtack engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    i own a hi point .380 robert, its a pos. like everyone says it does jam every other shot.
    since its such a POS, I'll give you $25 for it...I mean a cheap piece of shit gun that jams every other round isnt worth keepin, so I'll take it off your hands

Quote Originally Posted by sklfrmga View Post
    since its such a POS, I'll give you $25 for it...I mean a cheap piece of shit gun that jams every other round isnt worth keepin, so I'll take it off your hands
    not worth selling to you either my friend. keep it moving.

lean to shoot it, maybe you'll enjoy it

lean to shoot it, maybe you'll enjoy it
    learn to spell, maybe you will be cooler.

I spelled lean right...

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

Im not readin all the way through this thread, I get the general theme form the first couple of posts. I have a Hi-Point C9, had a .40 JCP and have two of the 9mm Carbines. I have had ZERO serious problems (maybe 5 FTLs TOTAL) out of them. They take a couple hundred rounds to break them in good (and its a good idea to polish the feed ramp) but after that, they shoot like every other gun...Clean it every time you shoot and they are perfect.

I read so so many people talkin shit about HPs, and I guarantee 95% have never shot one, so they hear this and that from other people who had one bad experience (usually user error) or read some BS someone posted up on the internetz (because we all know everything we google is true) and now because the gun cost $150 its a piece of shit. I have had more problems out of my HK USP than i have out of that C9.

If you wanna talk shit, know something about the gun and dont believe everything you hear and read. I have over 800 rounds through my C9 and it has only FTLd on me ONE TIME, and that was the first time I ever shot it. my XDm 9mm jammed twice on the first magazine (I took it apart, cleaned it, no more problems). If anyone wants to come down and shoot my Hi-Points bring it on, I will put them up against anything you own

Its an awesome truck, glove box or trunk gun because its so cheap...would you rather someone break into your car and steal your $1500 Kimber, $500 Glock, $600 XD, or your $150 Hi-Point?
    I'm not one of those that haven't owned nor shot a Hi-Point. Matter of fact, I have a 995 Carbine still. I like to play with that one quite a bit.

With that said, if you have to "break in", "polish the ramp", "ammo sensitive", or feed less than the alloted number of rounds into the magazine for it to feed semi-reliably......AND it's a $150 gun.....AND you want to depend your life on it????? Ummm, no. Doesn't work that way. I mean, we all know how great a "man stopper" the venerable 9mm FMJ is, right? If it won't feed HP's until after 500 round break-in or polishing the ramp, then why not save the money you'd spend on the 500 rounds and use that to buy a gun that will feed anything from the get go?

We can polish the ramp and treat weapons gingerly and they ALL will feed just fine. I mean, take an entry level 1911 and change just about everything in it besides the frame and you have......a Kimber? Right?

My point is that the Hi-point pistols are good for what they are.....Saturday Night specials, truck gun, throw away gun. They are not going to be any more than that. If you expect more than that from a $150 gun, then you're stupid to think so. For a little more money, you can pick up 10x's the gun used at any gun show every other weekend.

If you want to protect you and your family, spend the extra man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast