Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One thing that pisses me off about christians!

Default One thing that pisses me off about christians!

If God was real, then why do Christians think they know him?

God is infinite in every sense of the word. He does not think, because he already knows. He does not exist, yet he does exist at the same time. He is everywhere, and nowhere. He is so far above us that we can not comprehend him at all. That's it, end of story. I do not understand why christians think they know what god wants and what his will is.

As it stands, if there were such a divine spirit, we would have no idea what he thinks. And that's just it. An omniscient god does not think, he knows everything about everything. We as humans can not, and could not understand him or comprehend his existence in any way shape or form even if he were to be right in front of us.

It's like when we are outside and we see an ant walk by. The ant sees us, but it does not know what we are. It is simply incapable of having the thought process to comprehend what we are. It just sees some huge object in front of it, and either walk on us or around us. It is not able to anticipate how we think, or why we do the things we do! So why do christians try to anticipate what god wants for us and think they know all about his "wants"

The same is true with god, we have no way of truly knowing what he wants or how he thinks! We as humans must understand that an omniscient god does not think like us. He does not have a human brain nor think like us. He is a god and already knows everything. So why would he create, the earth, humans, give us the bible, just to see if we would make good or bad decisions. That to me, sounds like something a child might do. God already knows want we would do, as he knows the past, present, and future. He knows what would happen before it does, so why would he do this? hmmmm

Why Christians, that every religion right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Octopus™ View Post
    yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
    Why Christians, that every religion right?
    Yeah, I just singled them out because they are the single largest religious group in the world with about 2 billion people.

I am gonna single out Chinese people for everything now

yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
    I am gonna single out Chinese people for everything now
    Well since I am not chinese we can both single them out!!!!!!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NissanTun3r again.

Amen.

What if God was one of us
    Just a slob like one of us
    Just a stranger on the bus
    Trying to make his way home
    He's trying to make his way home
    Back up to heaven all alone
    Nobody calling on the phone
    Except for the pope maybe in rome

why do christians think we know God? well thats not an answer i can give you if you have no faith. let me ask you this, from the points you made in your own words of this post you kept asking why God would do this or that or why would He create us, the world, the bible and see what we would do? from your view of God what would cause this omniscient God to even create anything in the first place? the bible doesnt really tell us why He created anything in the first place, it states we were created to worship.

let me ask you this, do you honestly think God would create everything for no purpose, to fend for themselves, without reason or direction? NO. we can not comprehend such a powerful being, your right on that part. thats why there are still so many questions when it comes to God. but, if you look at the bible you can kinda figure this out. God first created the universe and the heavenly body, i.e angels, cheribum, ect...the angels and such were created to worship and praise God, we humans were given free will to do this. maybe God started creation because He got bored? maybe we are just an experiment, maybe this is all a test.
    riding for God crew member #1

IA Domestic Alliance

It's almost like you are trolling, like no human could be so simple to think this way. But being a product of your environment is truly sad in this way. Such a "lost puppy" in the world way of thinking. A truly simple way of thinking being taught NOTHING more than to OBEY.
    My line of work
    www.internationaljets.com

im sorry starrfire but your wrong about me. i was never " taught" anything about obedeince to God, atleast not anything i was old enough to comprehend. when i was 19 i was tired of my life of partying, drinking, drugs, sleeping around, ect....none of it had fulfillment any more. i thought there had to be more to life, that maybe God was real. so i started going to a church. the first two months i went there it felt like the pastor had a personal book of my life and what i was thinking and was answering my deepest questions. i found this all very strange and decided to see what it was all about. i picked up a bible and began studying it not just reading it. i studied it compared to science, philosophy, sociology, psychology, ect...and then it all made sense to me. God is very real, so i kept studying and came to the faith i have today.

IA Domestic Alliance

Well you may have a void in your heart that you need to be filled with an invisible being.

I have the drive in my heart to fill it with experiences and never just do "nothing". I live my life like every day is the last, and do the best with how things progress throughout the day.

I don't need to pray, because I have the mental fortitude and will power to push back when shit is just completely stacked against me. It is the inverse of this that makes Christians weak, they have to pause, stop and pray for strength they obviously don't have. Weakness that holds mankind back in every culture. Peace is impossible with their ways of thinking.
    My line of work

prayer is a weakness that holds back mankind in every culture, peace is impossible with our ways of thinking? im sorry but i believe God will open doors for us when we pray but fully expect work on our side too. i have much peace in my life.

IA Domestic Alliance

I fully have "faith" that things will be great anyways, no praying involved,and then I just stay positive when I know full well things are going down hill or shit gets thick. I don't need prayer.
    My line of work

Only "one" thing that pisses you off about christians?

If I listed them all my hands would cramp up with carpal tunnel syndrome and fall off

IF there is a GOD responsible for everything, I can only
    hope that it is the GOD that I am most knowledgeable of
    growing up going to Methodist and Baptist churches. However
    I do RESPECT the fact that I may be wrong, and there may be
    no GOD no afterlife just an ending with a body left behind
    JIGGITY96

Quote Originally Posted by NissanTun3r View Post
    If God was real, then why do Christians think they know him?

God is infinite in every sense of the word. He does not think, because he already knows. He does not exist, yet he does exist at the same time. He is everywhere, and nowhere. He is so far above us that we can not comprehend him at all. That's it, end of story. I do not understand why christians think they know what god wants and what his will is.

As it stands, if there were such a divine spirit, we would have no idea what he thinks. And that's just it. An omniscient god does not think, he knows everything about everything. We as humans can not, and could not understand him or comprehend his existence in any way shape or form even if he were to be right in front of us.

It's like when we are outside and we see an ant walk by. The ant sees us, but it does not know what we are. It is simply incapable of having the thought process to comprehend what we are. It just sees some huge object in front of it, and either walk on us or around us. It is not able to anticipate how we think, or why we do the things we do! So why do christians try to anticipate what god wants for us and think they know all about his "wants"

The same is true with god, we have no way of truly knowing what he wants or how he thinks! We as humans must understand that an omniscient god does not think like us. He does not have a human brain nor think like us. He is a god and already knows everything. So why would he create, the earth, humans, give us the bible, just to see if we would make good or bad decisions. That to me, sounds like something a child might do. God already knows want we would do, as he knows the past, present, and future. He knows what would happen before it does, so why would he do this? hmmmm
    Two ways to answer this, so you can take your pick and run with it.

1) In regards to our humanity: The finite or a finite being can never ever comprehend that which is infinite. What we comprehend is still only as finite as our minds are capable of even imagining. To think that we know what happened before us is an illusion.

2) In regards to Christianity: We believe that the Bible is God inspired. He didn't leave us with nothing but instead gave us a road map of sorts. Why would he do this when he is all-knowing? I can answer that with another question: What is better than the best? God uses us to glorify himself... it's all over the Bible about this and Christians know it. Selfish? Quite so, but there in again... our feable finite minds cannot understand that which is infinite and what can ever be better than that which is already the best?

Quote Originally Posted by ahabion View Post
    Two ways to answer this, so you can take your pick and run with it.

1) In regards to our humanity: The finite or a finite being can never ever comprehend that which is infinite. What we comprehend is still only as finite as our minds are capable of even imagining. To think that we know what happened before us is an illusion.

2) In regards to Christianity: We believe that the Bible is God inspired. He didn't leave us with nothing but instead gave us a road map of sorts. Why would he do this when he is all-knowing? I can answer that with another question: What is better than the best? God uses us to glorify himself... it's all over the Bible about this and Christians know it. Selfish? Quite so, but there in again... our feable finite minds cannot understand that which is infinite and what can ever be better than that which is already the best?
    The way I see it is, that if there was an omniscient god who was all powerful/all knowing, why would he want to be glorified by us? To be glorified? Because he is selfish? These are human attributes and I do not think god would have any type of human emotion since he is perfect and all knowing. I think many people picture god of having all these human characteristics but if he did, then he would not be perfect and would not be all knowing because we all know that we as humans are exteremly flawed beings. I think people just need to stop portraying god to be a human, he is not one of us. He is above us, he transcends us in ways we can literally not imagine. But then again, when it really comes down to it none of us can understand him, or his wants if he even has any. We understand as much about god as an ant is capable of understanding us.

well, in Genesis God states that He created man in His image, " and God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness," gen.1:26 and "So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him." gen.1:27

lets interpret this shall we..."Let US make" epmhasizes the majesty of the speaker. furthermore, the use of a plural for God allows for the later revelation of the Godhead ( God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit) " In our image" the traditional view is that God's image is certain moral, ethical, and intellectual abilities. A more recent view, based on Hebrew grammar and knowledge of the ancient near east, interprets the phrase as meaning, " let us make man AS our image." information from Nelson's Student Bible commentary pg.4

this can be interpreted as this, God the Spirit has no fleshly image. the closest we get at this is the incarnation of Jesus Christ the divine man. so, God did not create us to have a body like His but rather that our capabilities of morals, values, conscience, intellect, rationalization, and comprehension were all fashioned after His attributes. so it would be safe to say that if we were fashioned as thus, then we also experience the same emotions of God. you say that as an omniscient being we could never expect to understand Him or His will or ways, yet you have decided to take it upon yourself to say that you understand Him enough to state that He would be too high or transcendant to have emotions or care for His creation. like ahabion stated, we as believers believe that God left us with distinct instructions when He inspired men to write the scriptures. as 2timothy 3:16 states, " ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"

IA Domestic Alliance

LizBiz eats Carpet! bdydrpdmazda's Avatar

Yeah, I just singled them out because they are the single largest religious group in the world with about 2 billion people.
    Im pretty sure Muslim is the largest religion in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by bdydrpdmazda View Post
    Im pretty sure Muslim is the largest religion in the world...
    Actually he is right, almost twice as many christians as muslims. You can look it up from a number of sources.

I am so tired of this banter.....let me show you guys just a small taste of the reality of our situation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...1786422&page=1

Given the increasing religiosity of American culture, it's perhaps not too surprising that a new study out this month finds that Americans are not fond of atheists and trust them less than they do other groups. The depth of this distrust is a bit astonishing nonetheless.

More than 2,000 randomly selected people were interviewed by researchers from the University of Minnesota. Asked whether they would disapprove of a child's wish to marry an atheist, 47.6 percent of those interviewed said yes. Asked the same question about Muslims and African-Americans, the yes responses fell to 33.5 percent and 27.2 percent, respectively. The yes responses for Asian-Americans, Hispanics, Jews and conservative Christians were 18.5 percent, 18.5 percent, 11.8 percent and 6.9 percent, respectively. When asked which groups did not share their vision of American society, 39.5 percent of those interviewed mentioned atheists. Asked the same question about Muslims and homosexuals, the figures dropped to a slightly less depressing 26.3 percent and 22.6 percent, respectively. For Hispanics, Jews, Asian-Americans and African-Americans, they fell further to 7.6 percent, 7.4 percent, 7.0 percent and 4.6 percent, respectively.

The study contains other results, but these are sufficient to underline its gist: Atheists are seen by many Americans (especially conservative Christians) as alien and are, in the words of sociologist Penny Edgell, the study's lead researcher, "a glaring exception to the rule of increasing tolerance over the last 30 years." Edgell also maintains that atheists seem to be outside the limits of American morality, which has largely been defined by religion. Many of those interviewed saw atheists as cultural elitists, amoral materialists, or given to criminal behavior or drugs. She states, "Our findings seem to rest on a view of atheists as self-interested individuals who are not concerned with the common good."

Of course, it should go without saying, but won't, that belief in God isn't at all necessary to have a keen ethical concern for others. The study will appear in the April issue of the American Sociological Review and is co-written by assistant professor Joseph Gerteis and associate professor Doug Hartmann.

Possible Partial Remedies

The results of this study suggest a couple of partial remedies. One is a movie analogy of "Brokeback Mountain," which dealt with manly cowboys coming to grips with their homosexuality. A dramatic rendition of a devoutly religious person (or couple) coming to grips with the realization of his (their) disbelief may be eye-opening for many. A movie version of the science writer Martin Gardner's novel "The Flight of Peter Fromm" may do the trick. In the book, Gardner tells the story of a young fundamentalist and his somewhat torturous journey to free-thinking skepticism.

One other suggestion is for politicians. When they invoke the inclusive nature of American society and go through the litany of welcoming Christians of all denominations, Jews, and Muslims to some event, they should go a step further and welcome people of other religious persuasions as well as nonbelievers. The number of atheists and agnostics in this country is hard to measure, especially since most of these many millions of Americans don't advertise, but a politician's greater inclusiveness may pay political dividends. It's also the right thing to do.

Liberty University Debate Champions?

A tenuously related story also near the crossroads of religion and politics is the No. 1 ranking of the debate team at Liberty University. Founded by the Rev. Jerry Falwell, a Christian fundamentalist and political conservative, the university has in recent years fielded a team that has attracted much media attention. The March 19 New York Times Magazine devoted a long story to the team, which also received extensive recent coverage in Newsweek, on CBS, and in various other venues.

The homosexuals in this country have fought for their freedoms in politics, and have a strong voice in american culture. Atheists should stop being such cowardly pushovers and follow their example.

Atheists are sitting on their hands when it comes to these issues, we have no voice, we have no political sway...we are allowing ourselves to be pushed and bullied by the christian republican right like a fat kid shoving us off the playground. We are being ignored like we are ignored on this forum, and many others on the interwebs, we are being ignored in our communities, like we are being ignored in the entire western culture. Atheist's want to act like they are "playing nice" but instead are being so cowardly and politically correct about EVERYTHING, about the monopoly of morality in this country, like the wars in the middle-east. Atheist's seem to have an attitude like "you play on your side of the fence, and we will stay on ours" and THAT is NOT happening...the religious right in this country are leaping over that fence every fucking day, and to add insult to injury, stealing our fucking shoes on top of it. Atheists across this nation are being mewling pussies by practicing this "non-engagement" and burying their heads in the sand. Engaging in "friendly debate" is getting your ideals nowhere. playtime is over for these religious zealots.

So there ya go christians! I hate atheists too, and I sure do not understand them either...

there...I said my piece, now continue your "friendly debate"
    Last edited by StreetHazard; 01-29-2010 at 06:32 PM.

I must admit Christians are very intolerable
    My line of work

Quote Originally Posted by Starrfire View Post
    I must admit Christians are very intolerable

pffffffft.....

The way I see it is, that if there was an omniscient god who was all powerful/all knowing, why would he want to be glorified by us? To be glorified? Because he is selfish? These are human attributes and I do not think god would have any type of human emotion since he is perfect and all knowing. I think many people picture god of having all these human characteristics but if he did, then he would not be perfect and would not be all knowing because we all know that we as humans are exteremly flawed beings. I think people just need to stop portraying god to be a human, he is not one of us. He is above us, he transcends us in ways we can literally not imagine. But then again, when it really comes down to it none of us can understand him, or his wants if he even has any. We understand as much about god as an ant is capable of understanding us.
    Depending on the theology, the creation of us in his likeness is essentially the only way we can hope to learn and understand God. We laugh, we cry, have emotions. Again, based on the theology, we were created first as spirit beings before flesh. We have a soul, emotions... How we can relate to the one who created us is how we can look at ourselves... do we know this to be true... no of course not. But much like an orphan can learn to understand who is parents were or are, is to look and observe the likeness of themselves or their siblings.

Then there was Emmanuel.

The Bible provides a road map to comprehend the big why... in life, finances, marriage, relationships, an understanding of the one who created us. It's weird how the pages in such an ancient story book directly mirrors the lives that we all live today...

Maybe God is all knowing, but he needs free-decision worship to feed his power, so he created us to remain powerful beyond just the worship his angels bring him. I'm not anywhere religious as I want to be, and do not read or know the bible very well, so that statement or idea is probably 100% wrong, but call it a guess. Either way, I am questioning faith, I have been my whole life. Simply put, I just CANNOT bring myself to trust anything with that many questions. and then, when I ask too many questions, people tell me "not to question god" or use a general blanket statement like "the answer is only something God knows." So don't think I represent the Christian community, even if I am Lutheran Christian.

^^ Yeah, I drew a frame of a man running on each fan blade. That is him running at idle

[DIRT] SNOW TARMAC

Man I'm not even Christian and I can give you a probable reason. Hope.

streethazard- maybe atheists are not fighting hard because they dont believe the crap that they are trying to sell? how can you fight for a belief in nothing? how can you persuade people to give up hope, faith, morals, and values? im ashamed of you my friend, you used to have a calling on your life and abandoned that. i dont know why or what happened to you but we already spoke. i will say this to you and nothing more, YOU WILL NEVER silence ours and your God! His Word is forever settled and no matter what ideals, theories, stories, or fables may present themselves; God's TRUTH will never fade. you will never escape it you cant hide from it. if you want to then that would mean you have to escape life, and i dont think your ready to meet the Lord yet.

IA Domestic Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    streethazard- maybe atheists are not fighting hard because they dont believe the crap that they are trying to sell? how can you fight for a belief in nothing? how can you persuade people to give up hope, faith, morals, and values? im ashamed of you my friend, you used to have a calling on your life and abandoned that. i dont know why or what happened to you but we already spoke. i will say this to you and nothing more, YOU WILL NEVER silence ours and your God! His Word is forever settled and no matter what ideals, theories, stories, or fables may present themselves; God's TRUTH will never fade. you will never escape it you cant hide from it. if you want to then that would mean you have to escape life, and i dont think your ready to meet the Lord yet.

No but I wished he would so I didn't have to hear any more of this bull crap anymore. I don't give a shit about your god, because he isn't mine. That would mean that I would have to accept such a being which would be an insult to my intelligence.
    My line of work

sorry i had to highlight this, you don't have to be religious to have morals and values,

no one is saying society will fall or you're an automatic bad person if you give up religion. Hope and faith in god is just questioned, honestly i just overlook it. God may be real but I don't see him take part in any human business, provide any sort of help, or even care really. I'm going to refer to him as he/him. He is probably just watching us and that is it. Like i said in earlier threads in this section, praying and hoping god will do something is pointless to me. I don't expect him to do anything, the only real thing you can do is believe in yourself.

im just curious why religion and science get so mixed up all the time....

is our existence just statistics and just one big algorithm...... or were we created.

science says we are a statistic...

religion says we were made....

from a rational standpoint our universe is billions on billions of years old......and this is a fact....

from bible believers our universe was created instantly 7 thousand years ago.... this is not a fact but theory...and a very stupid one

i believe in god.....and find that my personal beliefs are often contrary to modern scientific facts and methods....but........there have been a few extra ordinary events and blessings that i have had in life that i am thankfull for and give thanks to god.

Im not going to act like im all knowing on everything just because im a Christian; however, I can always invite anyone who is ever interested in further seeking, or in many cases asking questions, God's word from people who have spent their entire lives serving Christ @ 12Stone Church off hwy 20 (mall of ga) and there is where all these questions/concerns should be asked without hesitation and where they are MORE than welcomed

lmk and you will always have someone(that you sort of know) to sit with...

God bless,

JD

i just wish some of you would realize that even if you dont believe in Jesus or accept Him, that it changes nothing. He formed you in your mothers womb and breathed a soul into you. Believe Him or not, He is still your God

IA Domestic Alliance

i just wish some of you would realize that even if you dont believe in Jesus or accept Him, that it changes nothing. He formed you in your mothers womb and breathed a soul into you. Believe Him or not, He is still your God
    pretty much sums it up there,

wait my dad is jesus?

LOL! that's all I got...well that and more scripture I wish Christians would really practice

-Matthew 6:6

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
    Last edited by StreetHazard; 02-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.

not sure what your point is

IA Domestic Alliance

He's saying you don't need to prove yourself to us. We don't give 2 shits about Christianity. The true/false belief of your god is in your heart, and you should not have to worship in front of other people. You can follow the goals of your religion as well or as poorly as you see fit, and then if you actually think the deed you did is in fact a "sin, then it is within you to either feel guilt or lack thereof. To be a real Christian is not to flaunt, argue,put on a front, to actually feel guilty of sin, and not to just mull it over, do it any way and then just pray about it because some god will forgive you.

In short I think he meant shut up.
    My line of work

not sure what your point is
    actually it is god telling his followers to worship in secret, pray in secret and god will reward his followers openly.

keep your religion to yourself

I just want to know this, did the human beings who lived and roamed the planet before Christianity was popularized(cough made up) go to heaven or hell? How were they judged since they had no bible nor churches? Were they given a hall pass for being in the wrong time period and sent to heaven, or did they all go to hell for not believing in god.

Honestly I think if god wanted us to know his word wouldn't he magically infuse us with this knowledge at birth since we as a race appeared on this planet? No? I guess it does make more sense that he would just tell a certain human to write down his "word" and spread it indirectly which would prove to cause millenia of bloodshed and slaughter. Makes perfect sense.

I'm not saying I believe in the big bang but god damn...

Quote Originally Posted by ChnkyLao View Post
    sorry i had to highlight this, you don't have to be religious to have morals and values,

no one is saying society will fall or you're an automatic bad person if you give up religion. Hope and faith in god is just questioned, honestly i just overlook it. God may be real but I don't see him take part in any human business, provide any sort of help, or even care really. I'm going to refer to him as he/him. He is probably just watching us and that is it. Like i said in earlier threads in this section, praying and hoping god will do something is pointless to me. I don't expect him to do anything, the only real thing you can do is believe in yourself.
    Correct, sir!! People who sit around and pray to God hoping for a miracle will not change whatever situation they're in. I think the idea of a prayer is more of a confidence booster than anything. Everyone feels more comfortable with the thought of extra "help". The fact of the matter is, you are the only one who can change the outcome of your life. Not some "higher spirit".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast