Thread: Warning for Dog/Cat owners...

Top Notch

Default Warning for Dog/Cat owners...

Hartz flea and tick shampoo can be deadly.

Here's the story...
    It rained here yesterday and of course my female english mastiff, Daisy, likes to get dirty. After about an hour of her playing I brought her inside to give her a bath. This is the first time i've used Hartz Flea and Tick Shampoo.
    About an hour later i noticed she would not stand up so i made her stand up. Her whole body was shaking profusely. I tried to make her walk and she wouldnt. She would just fall over like she could not stand.
    I immediately called an emergency vet in Macon. I had to pick her big ass up(165lbs) and put her in the car and haul ass. I got there and had to wait about 15 minutes for the vet to arrive. She was shaking even worse and would not move.
    The vet started running tests and determined she had ingested a toxin of some kind and it was affecting her neurological system. He gave her a shot of something and gave her a dose of active charcoal and gave me some to give her this morning.
    After she was stable he told me if i would have waiting until today, she would be dead. Keep in mind this dog is like a child to me. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she is a member of my whole family.
    He started questioning me about what she could have ingested. I noticed she was licking herself(like most dogs do) while i was bathing her. Thats when he came to the determination that the ingredient in the shampoo that kills fleas was the cause.
    She is fine now but just wanted to tell everyone so you all could stay away from this stuff. I had about a $360 bill but all in all he did save my pup so i cant complain.

I just followed up with the vet, Dr. Grines and he said this is pretty common and obviously alot worse in small breeds and cats. The poison is ingested through the skin.

Top Notch

Here is a link from several people with the same problem. Buyers beware of this stuff! http://www.hartzvictims.org/

ivory soap...best flea wash out there..i did my lab, his brother and sister, and my kitten i just got recently..all were strays that were dumped and were infested with fleas..a couple baths in ivory soap and they are flealess...i strongly suggest using ivory then getting an actual flea treatment like frontline or advantage.

Top Notch

I usually give them confortis pills for ticks and fleas but noticed she had a couple fleas and used the shampoo. Just wanted to warn everyone. I'm calling Hartz tomorrow to see if i can get anywhere

Southern Belle

same thing happen to me but they usually dont lick themselves (my dogs) so i was caught off gaurd. i was a vet tech for a year and the best to kill fleas is plain normal Dawn soap.. the kind u wash dishes with get the kind with no bleach or anything and mix it with people conditioner and itll kill fleas without drying out the skin. works everytime.

Really thanks for that...

damn! i think i got some of that stuff. is it only the flea and tick? i also got one with oatmeal in it.

I think I have used that shampoo on both my rotti and german shepherd never had any problems with them, but I will def keep an eye on them next time.

At least you were able to save her!
    The Real E

Good thing my dogs don't get fleas or ticks

Damn, glad I saw this. I just picked some up the other day. I have been washing my boxer/greyhoung mix with Dawn soap. she pretty much stays flealess.
    2013 Dart 1.4T 6MT

boooooostin'